Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jeff Waters - Annihilator

I know quite a bit about Jeff Waters and Annihilator.

He owned two custom Hamer Vectors, which he played from 1988 to 1991 (more or less). Both were all-mahogany and had boomerang inlays. The black one had the Annihilator logo in red. The red one had the Annihilator logo in black. He told me he gave his Hamers away to a friend. No idea where they are now.

Jeff has also played a Gibson Flying V and an ESP Mustaine signature, but several years ago, he made Ran (the Polish guitar maker) to build him two Annihilator Vees and two Explorers, like these ones:

IMG_8662sm.jpg

Recently, he is endorsing Epiphone, with his new signature Annihilator V. I played the red one at the guitar clinic he gave last year here in Montreal:

25682_1350925329525_1123132224_31004357_5255282_n.jpg

25682_1350925369526_1123132224_31004358_3088349_n.jpg

It's a great guitar, but the neck is too thin for my tastes.

About his other gear, he is currently using a Hughes and Kettner Coreblade head, a Digitech Whammy pedal... and I think that's all what you find in his pedalboard at this moment --if I remember well.

Thanks Zorrow. I've been a fan of Jeff's since I saw the "Stonewall" video years and years ago.

I saw his clinic in Glasgow last monday and it's made me revisit all things Annihilator (although I listen to them a LOT anyway). He actually gave one of those guitars away to someone in the crowd because he said it had a little bit of bizz on one fret. Sweet eh?

I knew he played Rans, cos I was aware of that brand through Piotr from Vader playing them. Cool guitars.

Jorge - you haven't missed the band, they're still going, they're working on a new album (TWO actually!) right now.

You're welcome! I've been into Annihilator since their very first album, "Alison Hell", but my preferred one is their second, "Never Neverland", which in my opinion is a metal masterpiece.

Sadly, the band never achieved mainstream success.

About Jeff's Hamers, just remembered now I owned a white Vector which was very close to his custom Vectors. The main differences were the pickups, which were OBL's in mine's, and the hardware was gold, but besides the finish and those two details, it was very close to Jeff's. I sold that guitar to a fellow HFC'er because I needed the money at that moment, and he was in love with that guitar anyway. Here, some pictures of it:

hamerv.jpg

hamerv1.jpghamerv4.jpghamerv3.jpghamerv6.jpg

hamerv2.jpghamerv5.jpg

Zorrow, that's one of the finest V's I've ever seen!

Indeed! Sometimes I actually feel regretful about having sold it, but at least I know it's in good hands. :D

Archived