Hamer Fan Club Message Center

USA Charvel Wild Card and Yamaha BB1200 Fretless

A rare bird from the 70's. Yamaha BB1200 bass, neck thru

I bought this bass about 10 years ago thinking I needed a fretless. I played it maybe an hour. It has literally sat under my bed for 10 years. I don't know much about these bases except they were very high end, Yamaha's top of the line. I think Mike Anthony played these in VH

5 piece Maple and Walnut neck with alder Wings. EMG pickup, not sure what model. OHSC inc as well as a clear picguard. It even has the little tool kit that came with it. Holes around the pup from where somebody had installed a pup ring. Neck looks like ebony with maple inserts for fret line markers. Action is low and even up the neck. Neck is very stable, I've never adjusted it and it's perfect.

Asking $500.00

014.jpg

018.jpg

More pics here:

I don't know whats up with photobucket but I assure you there are bass pics under those case thumbnails>

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/The...Band/LP%20Case/

Here's the background on the BB1200 bass:

It was my bass before the 'tuna got it. I bought it used in Canada in the late 80's, original case and all; it looked like it had sat unused for 10 years.

It was originally fretted, I had it defretted by luthier Sheldon Dingwall (yeah, him) as I already owned a BB1200 as my main bass and I wanted a fretless one.

Oh yeah, the fingerboard is rosewood, not ebony...

I don't recall dropping in the EMG but it must have been me. Those who remember the BB1200 know that the stock pickup had this funky ring around it; that's why there are holes around the pickup rout. I'll take a look around my garage for the stock pup and pup ring; if I find them I'll send them to 'tuna to include in the sale.

Personally, I'd put the frets back on. The BB1200 is a kickass neckthrough P-style bass, even better with a J-pup added in the bridge position (as I modded mine). I still have mine from 1980, I may be buried with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived