Hamer Fan Club Message Center

$38,000.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Garrett Park bought those from that guy's auction in NC. One sold for $12k the other for not much more.

On his blog....

Writer Adam Perlmutter’s words capture the essence of the build, nailing philosophy and circumstance behind it all. Somehow it is both perfect and pretentious at the same time. I even managed to slip in the word “schmuck” when talking about marketing guys—although it actually might have been something stronger.

Go ahead, buy the issue and brush up on your wine and cheese repertoire while perusing photos of Kirk Hammett’s crib in Hawaii. If you’re feeling oh-so-rebellious—steal it.

Bullshit followed by a suggestion to steal property.

Jol, try stealing a magazine from my shop, sometime.

Out of context, the quote is a bit confusing. Then again, maybe it isn't. Is he really lashing out at the makers and readers of Guitar Aficionado (the ideal demographic for his product) and "marketing guys" (the people who fortify a business' bank account)? Not that this would come as a surprise; he never seemed to understand his customer or how to market effectively when he was at Hamer.

I think Garrett Park bought those from that guy's auction in NC. One sold for $12k the other for not much more.

Based on what I've seen of people trying to re-sell guitars from the NC auction, they will be clogging eBay and Gbase for many years to come.

-

Austin

I kind of think that guitars over a certain price, say $10,000, need to be made with feet or lampshades on them.....since most people who buy them don't play them. They end up as display pieces.

They'd be more marketable if they could double as fancy end tables or lights in the estates of their owners. Functional art.

....or at least have a built-in bottle opener for your beers.

...or an MP3 slot and speakers.

Also, you have to figure that it will take some time to sell a $30k guitar in this market, so Jol may be thinking ahead. That $30k U.S. might only be worth $10 in American Dollars by the time it sells.

Going back to my days at Ax in Hand in the early 90's asking price has never equated to selling price.

I am as unwashed as the masses come. I play Hamers because the ones I own meet or exceed the quality of the vintage guitars I grew up with and love but can't afford. I am a big fan of the "Modern Vintage" and "Guitar for the Working Musician" eras of Hamer USA. I am about as far from Jol's target audience as they come. I can also appreciate what he is trying to do and wish him luck. I've worked with some very eccentric and very wealthy people over the years. I bet he sells those three guitars a year. It might take the "marketing BS" and soup nazi approach but that just might be the appeal to some folks. In my opinion, I can see the appeal of the unobtanium in Jol's guitars more than I see it in those high price variations on production guitars I linked to above.

Jol told me once to always build one LESS than the market demands. It doesn't work for everyone but if you can make it work it sure beats having to build 10 times the product to make the same amount of money.

I don't know Jol except for his apparently carefully constructed public persona, but I wonder which version of him is more authentic, the smug artiste who condescends and panders and writes all that soup Nazi advertising drivel, or the permed mulleted rocksar wannabe in the 1987 factory tour video on youtube?

I like his guitars but get embarrassed for him. In that 1987 video he reminds me of a kid at a high school party who wants everyone to notice he's drinking a beer.

For someone who acts so "authentic," he doesn't seem very genuine. I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing so much self-promotion while pretending it's beneath him-- he's the reclusive irritable artist who obviously courts the guitar mags and sends out press kits, the reluctant old-school craftsman who pretends he wouldn't put up webpages and various social media profiles if he weren't recruited to do so by others.

He's a good salesman though. If he would ever stop sneering about the 80's guitars he now disowns, he could still probably convince me to buy a badass handcrafted 80's Glenn Tipton type guitar from him. But not for 38k.

Crow-2-F1.jpg

Had he done that same headstock shape 15 years ago, he would not have invited to finally leave Hamer, letting a legendary brand die while others passed over them doing that same very simple thing.

For a supposedly "expert in design", it must have been very frustrating to finally yield, but having to charge $38,000 a piece so people did not notice the thunderous defeat.

Lance brought up a good point.

Most of us became Hamer fans because of the guy in this video...

I have pics from that NAMM show. Rick and I at the Hamer booth, blah blah blah. We all had "Hamer rocks hard!" tshirts. Jol was the MAN, keeping everyone happy.

But once he had us, he didn't want us any more.

His loss.

[

Had he done that same headstock shape 15 years ago, he would not have invited to finally leave Hamer, letting a legendary brand die while others passed over them doing that same very simple thing.

For a supposedly "expert in design", it must have been very frustrating to finally yield, but having to charge $38,000 a piece so people did not notice the thunderous defeat.

I don't agree. That headstock is pretty ugly compared to Hamer's.

And perhaps now that he got a chance, he wante to do something different.

The price is out of our league perhaps, and I'd take a Hamer Ultimate over that one any day. But seriously - I wish him the best of luck with establishing these guitars on the market. In the long run, if it goes well, it will only benefit the Hamer brand.

Can't we give him some cred. I am pretty happy that he moved Hamer away from the hairspray stuff. The best and greatest Hamer stuff was made before and after the shred 'era'.

He was kicked from Hamer by Fender. When he was there he was atleast getting some guitars built and developed new models. Will we ever see a new Hamer model now that he is gone? I doubt it.

Go on doing what you do now Jol - respect to you for the great Hamer models you brought out in the last fifteen years!

Don't blame Fender.

Jol directed the Hamer company away from profitability. He turned Hamer into his personal guitar factory....building what HE wanted, not what many customers wanted.

Fender made a business decision to stop losing money and that was that.

Well, we all where not THAT unhappy with him before he left Hamer. I am just saying he launched some very fine guitars after the year 2000.

The Monaco Superpro is one of the finest guitars I've ever played. The Newport and Artist are awesome. The Talladega looks killer, I've never played one.

Maybe he's been grumpy, but I still prefer the way he handled things over how some other brands do it (including Fenders own production). He's been damn proud of his product, which makes me proud to play the brand.

Let us not forget that he has also done great things, and built some fine guitars. Better his route than the option that Paul wanted - with cheaper made instruments and higher production rate. I would not have stayed loyal to the brand if they had choosen that route.

Hamers are perhaps like Citroen and Saab cars, not for eveyone, but those who get it are strong ambassadeurs of the brand. You guys have been here all these years, so I guess you have enjoyed a lot of it as well.

Remember the good stories with Jol too, not just the bad stuff.

You are way off on what Paul wanted....where did you get that info?

There's plenty of good to remember, but you folks didn't have to deal with the behind-the-scenes stuff (that will not be dredges up here)...and the company would still be producing the guitars that you speak of had the customer been given more import.

Bottom line is....they were the best of times, they were the worst of times....and they are now in the past.

Thankfully, Hamer is producing the best quality guitars that they have EVER MADE right now.....

Thankfully, Hamer is producing the best quality guitars that they have EVER MADE right now.....

...and with as many options as you might wish, almost like in the eighties.

In short, why complaining? Jol's moving on, Hamer's moving on... and so we all should!

Why?

Hamer guitars we a big part of my business.......40 a year or so at times.

That's a big hit to my bottom line, not having that income. Jol changed the company to the point that they no longer had a solid customer base...nobody seemed to be able to figure out what Hamer really was. Getting new customers was hard, old customers cannot be counted on to help a company grow.

The economy tanking happened AFTER Hamer tanked, from the dealer's perspective.

Archived