Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB 3 saddles for gold Hamer/Schaller Floyd.

While restringing my Californian Deluxe, I discovered to my extreme dismay that three of the Schaller Floyd's saddles had cracked inserts, and no amount of prying, pleading and cursing will make them budge. Thus, I am looking for three replacement saddles with inserts, one of each height (low, medium, high) that will fit this trem. I honestly am not well-versed on Floyd replacement parts, so I don't know if saddles from an OFR or most licensed imports will fit or not.

I am not picky about tarnish or oxidization, but I do want gold and in good structural condition, meaning no stripped screw holes or (obviously) cracked inserts.

If you have what I need, email me at [email protected] and/or reply here. Thanks!

Have you tried soaking them in something like WD-40 or a SimpleGreen solution?

The actual inserts themselves are typically pretty easily-located replacement parts.

I haven't done that, but I'll give it a shot. In the meantime, a question about that. All of my "good" saddles have what looks like a brass base, so that the insert can't fall out the bottom of the saddle. On the saddles with cracked inserts, there are no such bases. Admittedly, in all my years of using Floyds, I've never noticed these before. Frankly, what concerns me most is that I've never had cracked inserts (yet) on any of my other guitars, which are around the same age as my Hamers. One Cali had a single cracked insert, but I had a spare saddle. Now having three on the same guitar...are the Schallers somehow more prone to this?

Soak 'em in WD 40. Those can be buggers to get out of there sometimes and other times, they'll just fall out by themselves.

The inserts in yours are gold? I've not seen that much. I have a NOS gold Hamer Floyd that has black inserts in the gold saddles. On the NOS ones no one touched those two ever as they were in sealed packages from Floyd Rose to Hamer. The black ones are cheap and readily available. The SADDLES themselves are a little tougher to find if that's what you're talking about. The little brass pieces on the bottom are pretty thin brass sheet stock IIRC.

Thanks for the tips. I tried the WD-40 treatment, but the inserts wouldn't budge after soaking overnight. To clarify, the inserts were black, in gold saddles.

I have five good black saddles with inserts, so I'm just swapping out the gold, and have a sixth black saddle on order from AllParts. Since the fine tuners and intonation screws were already black, it won't look TOO weird. Better luck this time around, I hope...

Archived