Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Humbuckers for Newport Pro- Suggestions?

ArnieZ

When I got my Newport Pro it was stock with the Seth's but I had to find out about those Phat Cats! The guitar sounded great with the buckers but I thought I wanted something different. I managed to finagle a set of the then unobtanium Phat Cats and droppped them in. I don't know if I ever loved the bridge pup so much but definitely like the neck and the bridge neck combo. I always had in the back of my mind to be able to switch pups out and got this

DSC00606.jpg

to make it easier. What else besides the Seth's do you guys like in this guitar? Preferably cheaper than the Seth's unless something used shows up! Thanks for the suggestions.

ArnieZ

not cheap but some fralin p-92's would be incredible i bet , i have a set in an older ibanez scofield model and they kill , noiseless and tons of sparkle and beef , almost no style they can't be used for.............. :rolleyes:

This may not be a popular choice, but I would bet that a set of Gibson Classic 57/57+ HBs would sound great in there. Keep your eyes out and they show up used for pretty decent prices.

Heh. I had a set in a Duotone. Heh. Sleeper.

Not trying to be a smart guy, but I like the Seth's. My vote is for returning them. YMMV.

I like the Seth's as well! I don't want to restrict myself to considering only them. Right now I don't want to spend the $ for new and used don't seem to come up often.

ArnieZ

I'd go for Antiquties over the Seths, I find them more airy and open. Great for hollow bodies.

Or I'd look for an old pair of 80's Dimarzio DP103 paf's. Got one in the bridge that sounds incredible in my Super Pro.

Not trying to be a smart guy, but I like the Seth's. My vote is for returning them. YMMV.

I like the Seth's as well! I don't want to restrict myself to considering only them. Right now I don't want to spend the $ for new and used don't seem to come up often.

ArnieZ

Used Seth Lovers for $125 shipped just got posted on TGP if you're interested.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=939307

-Austin

What do you want the guitar to do, sound like Arnie?

So you had to ask the tough question :rolleyes:. As I said in the OP I really thought the stock guitar sounded great, but I had to have those Phat Cats. The Newport is my most hollow guitar and I'd like to make the most of that. I did own a 335 dot reissue for a while concurrently, but that was a different animal. Ultimately,since I don't play so well, I'm looking for something different to quell GAS. If TV jones pups would drop in there I'd sure give that a try but don't want to mod the guitar. How's that for a vague answer?

ArnieZ

Mmmmmm.

The Newport is totally hollow, spruce top.

something to "chime" it up, "lively" it up.

Has a TOM bridge... (?)

Seth's came stock... (warm)

Phat cats.... (growl)

You can order TV jones, and to fit Humbucker routes, drop in.

when I had my Gretch caddy (hollow / chambered),

I installed a Classic plus bridge / classic neck.

The Classic Plus... incredible pickup. Chimey, growl, thick, singly, with a twist of the vol and tone. Loved that pickup.

The regular classic was not near the classic plus, was dull and uniform even with vol and tone manipulations.

TV Jone's Classic Plus is a great pickup.

Find a couple of.... (hear me out now...)

Used mid, late 2010 made, stickered Gibson BB1's.

Someone hired at the winder's cave was winding up some incredible

BB'1s mid, late 2010. I heard alot of BB's and I do not care for at all,

But, those BB1's sounded killer, chimey, throaty, articulate.

Probably find on the cheap used on ebay, TGP, LP forums.

Vintage Guild HB1's Do not under estimate the hypnotic power of these pickups. They were designed for hollow bodys. Underwound

(like lollar), very articulate pickup all across the spectrum.

If you have a TOM bridge, may I suggest a simple mod.

An ABR bridge that will fit, mod to the TOM posts ( I do this).

The Tom is great for modern tones and solidbodys,

but the ABR bridge gives you a more "airy" / "timbre" of a note, and chords are a little more defined.

J

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'm getting an edumacation! Never knew the difference between an ABR1 and the other one Nashville? Lot to think about here. How would I know if the BB1's would be the ones I am looking for?

ArnieZ

Archived