Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Amp Review

I've been looking around for a slightly used Komet 19 head (maybe a Sunday church band-haha) I heard one a while back and that tone has been in my head ever since. I've been lucky enough to also have owned an original Trainwreck and another hand-built boutique clone, so I also had those memories still in there too. Well, I found one. Got it a few days ago...

Yeah man, that sound, that tone, that feel is all here. Truly amazing amp. It's expensive and really has no features, but I don't care. There is something about the tone that just slays. It's so deep and articulate. Every note just rings out in chords. Everything is just deeper, bigger and fuller. Turn down the guitar volume and it cleans up like almost no other amp I've played. After playing this, I went back to my other amps and sure, they are nice and do other things really well. My big Egnater Mod 50 is still a great 4-channel switcher that does 4 different tones really nicely. Perfect for a cover band setting. It'll stay around.

But, this little 19 watter (2-EL84's) is simple. Still plenty loud for playing with a drummer. I swapped out the tubes for some NOS that I had around and took it even further. I'm running a lower-gain 5751 in V1 for some more clean head-room. Oh, don't worry, it still screams like nobody's business when cranked.

I played with the amp today for about 3 solid hrs and every riff I played just sounded so freakin' huge!! Different cabs and speakers were fun to try. I'll run it with my closed back 2x12 Tone Tubby/Vintage 30 combo. Nice mix of chime and tight bottom. I can't wait until tomorrow night at band practice to let her rip.

komet1.jpg

komet2.jpg

Cool-- I'd love to grab one of these, actually decided after a 5 minit, resistance is futile MELTDOWN, to get the last one that came up--- TOO LATE--- I've got the Constellation and if the k19 is even Half that monster, it's got to be awesome. congrats and ROCK ON.

I actually purchased new, Komet Concorde #08.

Was a great Amp for single coil pickup type guitars,

But I had to battle with it to get it to work with

humbuckers. I ended up in selling it.

Great Amps. The Concorde just did not work out with me,

I wish it had thou. :D

I'll try to record some clips, but I'm swamped right now. But, here's a few from others that do it justice...

Rockin' Clip

Clean Clip

Hilarious that you posted those. Jack and I used to be in a band together. That Rockin' Clip song was called Tomorrow I Love You. He can make any amp sound amazing. It was very humbling to be in a band with him. The past few years he's been woodshedding bluegrass acoustic and is scary good at it.

Archived