Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The guitar player you admire the most and why...

zorrow

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's just musical admiration only (as opposed to someone who fancies himself/herself to be a socio-political philosopher simply 'coz he's/she's in entertainment), I'd go with Lemmy.

He's articulate, is apparently accessible, and in tune with what he's trying to accomplish. I'm not comfortable w/ Lemmy's putdowns of religion, but usually if he's asked about world situations by some reporter, what he says makes sense...not that it matters all that much.

I ran into him on sunset years ago and he was much more chatty than me or my friends. After about 20 minutes he realized he'd been rambling and excused himself, but he struck me as a much more personable guy than I'd have ever given him credit for.

Oh, and I've admired many a guitarist but the most consistently admired from way back when I was a kid to present, is David Gilmour.

Friend of mine was at NAMM more than 10 years ago, sees Lemmy coming out of a building. Friend yells, "It's Lemmy!" Lemmy yells back (in Lemmy accent), "I KNOW!" :)

so many to choose from but if i had to go with one it would be dimeola , his phrasing , note selection and pick attack just get me off , check this out , incredible improv on a piazolla piece.......... :):P:D

Pat Metheny. Endless melodic creativity with the chops to pull off anything his mind conceives. In that regard he's one of the best musicians regardless of instrument. He can sit in and rip on any style of jazz or fusion with any number of players--solo, straight ahead jazz trio or quartet, large ensemble fusion, duet, free form jazz, breezy Brazilian... He has always been absolutely fearless in the company of legends--Jaco Pastorius, Gary Burton, John Scofield, Ornette Coleman, Chick Corea, Charlie Haden, Steve Swallow, Roy Haynes, Jim Hall, Jack DeJohnette... and is master of clean electric, heavily processed electric, Roland guitar-synth, acoustic 6 or 12-string, nylon string, fretless guitar, and other custom-built oddball instruments.

1.jpg

I immediately thought of Jeff Beck, but if I have to pick one, I'm going with Richard Thompson. RT is a master of both electric and acoustic instruments, is instantly recognizable, and is a master songwriter to boot. Also one of the best lyricists I'm aware of. I love the way he plays outside the box and always finds his way home.

probably say a friend of mine Johnny Markin. He is a worship and arts pastor at northview community church in abbotsford,bc and one of the best guitar players I have ever seen. Seems to be able to cover any style with great skill.

Elliot Easton.

Melodic leads, great sense of rhythm, versatile stylistically, all kinds of sounds but still seems to be himself. Great chops but always in service to the song.

yep, that says it all

Steve Hunter. Been around forever and has played with a lot of different people. He's on a lot of albums filling in for regular band members who for one reason or another could not do the job in the studio. Sometimes he got the credit and sometimes he did not. Still has a awesome tone. Has a vision problem which limits his mobility on a dark stage but he can rock out with the best of them.

+1 to the Edge. He defined a style and owned a sound in the early '80's as I was coming of age as a guitarist that I could relate to and found extremely interesting. Pop sensibilities mixed in with a Celtic vibe - jagged, angular and sometimes soaring lines. THE MAN when it came to creative use of echo/delay.

Seems in vogue these days for young people to hate on U2 (a lot of their modern stuff isn't my cuppa either FWIW). I try to remind 'em that Bono wasn't always such a pompous, self-involved dick.

Allan Holdsworth. His playing is a language entirely new to guitar - exhilarating, fluid and elegant. Most of his best compositions have a easy melancholy with a nearest likeness to Classical and Romantic music. He's an outsider who puts musical discovery before marketing and self-promotion.

I find that I trust pretty nearly everything he does, with the exception of some guest appearances, here and there.

A genius has to eat, I guess.

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest. Always my main guitar hero by a mile.

Besides 40 years of killer metal, if you need any proof why, do a YouTube search of "All Guns Blazing" or "Beyond the Realms of Death" live.

Few humans could every play, much less CREATE, solos that good. And he's been doing it for ever.

If it's one and only one: Brian May! The one guitar player I repeatedly listened to for more than 30 odd years and still enjoy to listen to like it's been the first day. He even made me to make a guitar custom order based on his very own guitar type.

If it's two: Carl Verheyen, for his versatility and improvisation skills

If it's three: Steve Vai: not only for his rock themes, but classic compositions too.

If it's tree-fiddy: Joe Satriani, certainly one of the greatest individual guitar players in rock genre plus guide/teacher of many popular rock guitarists including Vai.

Angus Young.

Seriously. After 4 decades he hasn't changed his gear, tone or attitude. Not only doesn't have problems belting out his Epic tunes, whereas other artists consider their former hits "cliche", but he has FUN doing so. Never drew attention to himself with any BS wishy washy drama. Epic showman with uniforms and even fu$%ing devil horns.

Rock'n'Roll guitar. As it was meant to be. No covers.

No effects. No ill will towards others. Handles touring. Only lives to play. And doesn't live to do magazine promotions well, either.

The most purist axeman next to Chuck Berry.

Handled grief over lost frontman not only with class, but made it legendary.

Not afraid to bare his azz to an audience of 100K. (would Jimmy Page do such a thing? Eric Clapton? do you really wanna see Keith Richards cheeks? maybe EVH)

Epic. Just Epic. For a millenium.

Archived