Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The guitar player you admire the most and why...

zorrow

My brother.

Same here. Just a killer blues-rock-jazz player. Plus can play just about anything with strings.

Honorable mention to Jimi Hendrix. Otherwordly player and followed his muse, not the moolah.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty, Carfish7 aka Z or Zoner to some of you.

I am lucky enough to be able to play along side this guy every week and can honestly say that he is probably my favorite player of all time and the most musical person I have ever met. While not a famous guy he has done that connect your heart to your fingers rather than your brain thing that very few will every be able to accomplish. His playing is can be subtle, aggressive, complicated or simple but never cliche or lick driven.

If I had to describe his playing it would be Jeff Beck meets Alex Lifeson meets Mike Campbell. </bromance>

• 10 months later...

Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth.

I might be a fan boy, but his diversity, creativity, tone and overall feel is amazing. Just listen to and compare "Ghost of Perdition" and "Devil's Orchard" and you'll understand what I'm on about:)

Also, Akerfeldt has been a huge inspiration to me when it comes to my own writing!

post-107643-0-31306300-1349247538_thumb.

The guitar player you admire the most and why...Drum Roll...

Anyone who has ever been a "Second Banana". Really.

Hamerica

Oh and Steve "BY GOD GUITAR" Clay

James Honeyman Scott wore a tutu and he was a great guitarist, he didn't need a mowhawk.

If you're implying that Richie Stotts wasn't awesome, the ghost of Wendy O. Williams will chainsaw your face off.

Favorite guitarist change for me as I grow as a player. I'm sure it's that way for many of us. In chronological order starting when I was 7 and ending now, they were/are.

My dad (amazing country picker)

Roy Clark

Chet Atkins

then I went to a Cheap Trick concert at 13......

Rick Nielson

Randy Rhoads

EVH

George Lynch

Joe Satriani

My favorite guitarist today is John Petrucci. He is the first guitarist that I have had to actually sit down and go, "What the hell is he doing?" Although the time signature changes can give the most seasoned musician a migraine, he is clean and tasteful in his playing. He's a pretty decent dude also if you get to talk to him.

Steve

Archived