Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Just one "desert island" instrument...

The inquiry about what kinda budget instruments are still around that prompted a fairly extensive thread a while back got me to wondering about what singular instrument I'd want on a desert island if the instrument had to be a budget item. Admittedly a bit warped, but I thunk the fabled/notorious HFC $350 limit should be the max something like that was worth.

My choice (presuming there was a guitar player on the same island w/ whom I could jam) would be the same as I cited on the budget instrument thread: A Peavey Foundation bass or Patriot bass (I like the ergonomics on the latter instrument better).

The 2012 Vintage Guitar Price Guide has just been released, and Foundations (made '83-'02)range from $225-$275, and a Patriot Bass ('84-'88) is (Good grief!) $125-$150. For that matter, an active Forum variant from the mid-'90s is $275-$325.

The price range is for instruments that are unmodified, in Excellent condition, and that have their original case. And all of the above-cited instruments were American-made.

Other choices for "tree-fitty desert island guitars (or basses)"?

A Slammer Series Centaura could do it for me... or maybe an Epi Flying V -those white ones which came out not so long ago are amazing players.

I just want to clarify...the criteria is: something that is worth $350 or less RIGHT NOW to even the most motivated buyer, correct? Otherwise I can see this topic going in the direction of the vintage Strat bought for $200 in 1968, or somebody's ultra-fortunate pawn shop or garage sale purchase from someone who obviously didn't know what they had. A MIJ Yamaha is gonna push that $350 limit easy, unless it's in really bad shape or a really early, really budget model, IMHO.

Yup, today's market prices (sounds like I'm ordering fish at a restaurant).

I mean, I scored a '63 ES-335 in the '80s for $185 but noting such could potentially turn this thread into a brag-a-thon, which isn't what I intended. Sorry for any confusement, and thanks for calling it to my attention so I could clarify.

I'd be happy enough with my import Hamer XT Sunburst with a SD P90 stack in the bridge. Cost me less then tree-fiddy including the SD, and I'm pretty sure still worth less than that.

Plays fine, it's light, and it sounds far better than it should.

(It's missing a string, needs a new set, and haven't had chance to change them yet)

P1010334.jpg

My daughter's Fender Squier Affinity Telecaster (after a quick fret dress) would certainly qualify for me. I'd even have enough change left over for some better pickups (though the original ceramics don't sound terrible) or a decent little practice amp.

Another great bass value out there is the Guild Pilot. Some are fancier with figured maple tops, but many are solid color boltnecks. Admittedly, I got mine below market value and I don't know what Blue Book is on them, but I see them at tree-fiddy pretty often. These are USA-made Guild basses from the Westerly, RI factory. They all have top rate hardware with a cast Schaller bridge, I'm pretty sure most if not all have quartersawn necks, they are very ergonomic, nicely sculpted, well balanced, and sound good. The Pilot Pro has active pickups and an onboard active preamp, making for very clear, articulate sounds that nevertheless don't sound "hi-fi," but are instead quite musical and can sit comfortably in the mix.

On eBay there are completed auctions for USA Guild Pilots at $299, $161.50, and $305.54.

Here's mine:

DSC06478.jpg

A MIJ Yamaha is gonna push that $350 limit easy, unless it's in really bad shape or a really early, really budget model, IMHO.

You haven't been looking under the right rocks then as I have picked up 3 of them in the past 6 months - none were more than $150............

The best one is a SE612 with a great locking whammy (that can be "locked" for fixed-bridge antics), coil-tap, good sounding pickups, tinted (and figured!) maple neck and a HSC. Watched it on Craig's for 4 months and then finally bit.

Check out the SE stuff and be amazed.........even if it isn't a MIJ (mine are).

Archived