Well, the news is a combo of good and bad. Turns

out I have developed stage 3 Cancer. Apparently,

its real low and has grown quite a bit along the

walls of my rectum and not all clumped.

But, the good news is that they are confident on

being able to treat it!! There first step on

treating this is after another imagining scan I

have for tommorrow, is that I need immediate

relief of the bleeding and being "backed-up".

This procedure really freaked me out and to be

quite honest I didn't know anything about and

that they could do something like this??? I have

to have a Colostomy?!? Where they have to re-

route your intestine to ride waste out of your

side through what they call a "Stoma"!

Man, this crazy?!?! All this news that happening

is blowing my mind and I'm trying to remember

some of your guys post on slowing down and

taking it easy....So, I'm trying! They said do

to the "length" of the Cancer, that I have to

prepare myself that I could have this Colostomy

for life! They are working on and I'll find out

tommorrow about going in for Surgery as soon as

Friday!

So, my Parents and relatives are pretty upset as

you can imagine and I'm going to go over and

stay with them until I get the final word on all

this... Being single also means that their going

to have to drive me back and forth after the

procedure.

Also, on top of all this I trying to get my

previous work Insurance situated after talking

with them Monday. But I don't know how this is

going to time out and if it will cover these

recent visits? The price of this Insurance is

estimated to be over 500.00 bucks a month!!!!!!

That's about 3/4 of my rent! My mom is wanting

me to move back in with them while I get through

this, But that hard enough on it own to come to

grips with to me also.... So all this stuff is

making my head swim! I'm going take off to go

see them now and try to prepare for a possible

surgery this week and to try to clear my head

too... Thanks for all your support guys and wish

me luck! I'll check back in with a update this

weekend and also I just dropped my prices on

the gear and hopefully will be able to add some

stuff soon when I get the time.

Jammer, wish you the best. My Dad has stage 3 colon cancer 10 years ago and made it through. Treating it has improved since that time so hopefully things will work out. Like you said, it's a lot to worry about and life changing for the meantime. Keep us updated.

Thanks for the update Jeff. That's a hell of a lot of things to take in in a short time and I can imagine just how you must be feeling right now. One step at a time my friend one step at a time with the support from your family and friends you will win through on this one I'm convinced of that.

Best vibes from across the pond,

Gerry

My mom is wanting me to move back in with them while I get through this, But that hard enough on it own to come to grips with to me also....

You should not be living alone through this, if at all possible. And your landlord has got to be understanding about you breaking your lease if they have an ounce of heart in them.

Relayed the info to my wife who will realy the info to her boss...will get the skinny on it...as per my wife, colostomies are common with this procedure...the remaining length of colon and the resectioned portion needs time to heal after the removal, resection and follow up kemo...does not appear that you will need to be "straight piped" (wifes comment, not mine...lol), but you may have the bag for 4 to 6 months to allow things to heal properly..

Will get confirmation from wife and send it over to you asap once I get the info

PM not getting through to your end...send me a contact email to mine (mabluight AT optonline DOT net) and I will relay to you the info...

Best regards and my sincerest well wishes!!

Mike

Real tough to deal with. My eldest son had his colon removed at 17 & the re-attachment colostomy done at 18 (he had a bag for a year). Real tough time for him but he's 20 now & fine. His was not related to the vile disease you unfortunately have but I can understand. Good luck...

HamerJammer - Do not give in to the bad feelings. A buddy of mine was diagnosed a few months back with Stage 4, and is beating it!

Just about a month and a half ago, my 82 year old Aunt, was diagnosed, had surgery, and is back home (lives alone since my uncle died about 5 years back), and doesn't even need Chemo!. You CAN beat this, man! Best wishes

You should not be living alone through this, if at all possible. And your landlord has got to be understanding about you breaking your lease if they have an ounce of heart in them.

I agree. It will be easier on you and your family support group. Not to mention the $$ issue, but you should be focused on getting better now. Facing cancer while living alone is just bad.

Relayed the info to my wife who will realy the info to her boss...will get the skinny on it...as per my wife, colostomies are common with this procedure...the remaining length of colon and the resectioned portion needs time to heal after the removal, resection and follow up kemo...does not appear that you will need to be "straight piped" (wifes comment, not mine...lol), but you may have the bag for 4 to 6 months to allow things to heal properly..

it definitely does take time for internal organs to heal and get back to being used to what they are doing. I got an intestinal virus once, and it lasted 2 weeks, but the after effects were still felt a month later. I also have a friend who had to go to the ER because she had a Meckel's Diverticulum that had caused her intestines to get kinda twisted, so they removed only a few inches and resegmented, but even that took 2 months to recover from.

Very sorry to hear of your troubles. Lots of good advise already given. Your form of cancer is one of the most treatable / curable (I'm sorry, I don't mean to minimalize it). For sure look into taking your ex employer's Cobra insurance and nothing wrong with moving back home, I've done it myself once or twice. The extra support is good. Remember it is only temporary.

My kids and I will include you in our prayers.

Any news Jeff? Just hope things are progressing in a positive way for you.

Best,

Gerry

Hey Gerry! I was released today, I've just been staring at this Bag and Stoma.... I just still can't believe it.....

I'll find out the coming weeks what the next steps will be. I was told by a nurse that it will be about 6 to 8 months of being built up and knocked back down over and over with Surgery and Chemo treatments.

You wouldn't believe the darn smell this Colostomy produces?!? It's not, what you call the usual "gas" you normally deal with....Plus. extra steps you have to take care of it! .......Its a brave new world....

I just posted a Hamer Chaparral to sell everybody, Please check it out on the first page!!!

Hang Tough. Vent with us if you need to but I gotta be honest, I'm glad Smellovision isn't here yet. :P<_<:rolleyes:B)

The bag will get easier to manage. Are you getting any visiting nurse help? If not ask your doctor's ostomy nurse to help you with any dietary changes you might wanna make with it. Low gas producing foods will serve you better. :unsure::ph34r:B)

Archived