Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Hamer Sunburst: Does that say 7 0005??

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THIS should be interesting to watch. Hope the board's luthiers are ready for some badass repair/restoration work.

how would you even begin to repair something like that?

Oh, I have already developed a plan just for that ;)

wow. 7 0005 is a bound & crowned beauty.

Sunburst 7 0012 was one of four produced with the first fret inlay. I almost expected the few earlier ID sunbursts would be among the group of four as well...

THIS should be interesting to watch. Hope the board's luthiers are ready for some badass repair/restoration work.

just squirt some super glue in the crack.... :wacko:

That's a nasty one. I'm not a luthier, just a guy who likes Titebond. This one turned out ok. Not a beauty queen but solid.

frtbroke.jpgHamerfront2.jpgHamerback.jpgbrokenback2.jpg

Same pawn shop I bought the Chap 12 from in spring and the fkers relisted in on EBAY, trying to get more before finally shipping it...only after I opened EBAY complaint, etc.

I remember your post on that. This many bids, this early, this high, during the Holidays? Bah humbug.

I had a co-worker I worked with 10 years ago. One of his hobbies was to go to Denver on Saturday's and look for deals in pawn shops. He found them too. He always told me you always want to deal with pawn shops at the end of the month, because that's when they need to raise money. Alright I don't know if that last parts true. I saw this post yesterday or the day before and I just wrote it off. I can't believe this guitar is bringing this kind of money. I'm wondering if the sellers are propping this up or if those are real bids. I myself hate pawnshops. The sales people remind me of used car dealers.

Apparently the duct tape didn't work, so i'm all out of ideas...

i'm still thinking of what would be the best way to remove the duct tape without ruining the finish

Getting the tape off will be easy - what kind of damage that is *already* done to the finish is the question. With the crack restore needed, i think (*think*, as i am a complete novice on anything related to guitar repair) a reshoot will likely be required on the back. Not a bad thing, assuming the right person does the work. And there are a few fine choices for that kind of work right here on the board. :)

I did bid to place my mark on this fine guitar's history. Can't afford this one at half of what it's at right now, so i'll resort to

SmileyPopcorn.gif

I have a horse in the race, know some of the other bidders. It's all real.

murkat, m'man, did I tell ya I have a wooden leg? Glad bizness is good, my brother, 'cause liquor ain't cheap! ;)

that crack looks pretty bad!

That's no crack. That's a rip in the fabric of Space and Time.

Very Good :D

I had a co-worker I worked with 10 years ago. One of his hobbies was to go to Denver on Saturday's and look for deals in pawn shops. He found them too. He always told me you always want to deal with pawn shops at the end of the month, because that's when they need to raise money. Alright I don't know if that last parts true. I saw this post yesterday or the day before and I just wrote it off. I can't believe this guitar is bringing this kind of money. I'm wondering if the sellers are propping this up or if those are real bids. I myself hate pawnshops. The sales people remind me of used car dealers.

No indication from ad that seller knows what has - pretty sure there are enough Hamer ebay watchers (that know that this is a rare bird) to support bidding.

Assuming it is 0005, what it worth today if its wasn't cracked and what is its potential value if properly repaired?

I have a horse in the race, know some of the other bidders. It's all real.

murkat, m'man, did I tell ya I have a wooden leg? Glad bizness is good, my brother, 'cause liquor ain't cheap! ;)

I guess I shot low (thats what she said.. cha ching!) and will honor my bet! :)

i'm still thinking of what would be the best way to remove the duct tape without ruining the finish

Naptha would be my first guess

Yup, Naptha, maybe a lil heat gun too.

Not repairable. Stay away.

Now what no fun would that be ;)

that crack looks pretty bad!

9681h.jpg

I have done worse wood checks at GCS and end result was sold new to dealers which was sold new to customers... :ph34r:

I'm prolly wrong here but I thought all the early SB's had bulls eyes

I'm prolly wrong here but I thought all the early SB's had bulls eyes

I don't think they standardised everything until later which is also why the logo looks a bit odd (strange S) and fingerboard end binding is absent. Even 78s are undergoing a continuous evolution - shorter headstock, new solid bridge etc.

Same pawn shop I bought the Chap 12 from in spring and the fkers relisted in on EBAY, trying to get more before finally shipping it...only after I opened EBAY complaint, etc.

So does that mean this one's already sold, too, and they're doing someone else the same way?

Probably not or else it would have been on EBAY before. With me, I won the Chap with my AutoSnipe while out of town...called to pay and they would not take a PayPal debit CC. So I paid a few days later when I got back to NY, as we'd discussed. Pawnshop owner had relisted the Chap but guy I dealt with said not to worry....but they let the second listing ride almost to end, probably to see if they could get more than I paid. I had EBAY and PayPal both on their asses for days before that but they ignored it.

The Chap and three other Hamers after that at the same store that got listed all belonged to a friend of mine. I'd sold him two of them. He and wife got work cuts and had to pawn gear. Ironically, he had the same thing happen about 12 years earlier...and lost most of his vintage Hamer (including a Quadbass!) collection thru the same store when the owner sold everything off but the guy he dealt with had told him he had extra time to pay.

I emailed him to see if this Suburst was also one of his. Haven't heard back. Could be...he had Hamers he ordered new from late 70s/early 80s that I knew of.

Archived