Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Hamer Sunburst: Does that say 7 0005??

Same pawn shop I bought the Chap 12 from in spring and the fkers relisted in on EBAY, trying to get more before finally shipping it...only after I opened EBAY complaint, etc.

So does that mean this one's already sold, too, and they're doing someone else the same way?

Probably not or else it would have been on EBAY before. With me, I won the Chap with my AutoSnipe while out of town...called to pay and they would not take a PayPal debit CC. So I paid a few days later when I got back to NY, as we'd discussed. Pawnshop owner had relisted the Chap but guy I dealt with said not to worry....but they let the second listing ride almost to end, probably to see if they could get more than I paid. I had EBAY and PayPal both on their asses for days before that but they ignored it.

The Chap and three other Hamers after that at the same store that got listed all belonged to a friend of mine. I'd sold him two of them. He and wife got work cuts and had to pawn gear. Ironically, he had the same thing happen about 12 years earlier...and lost most of his vintage Hamer (including a Quadbass!) collection thru the same store when the owner sold everything off but the guy he dealt with had told him he had extra time to pay.

I emailed him to see if this Suburst was also one of his. Haven't heard back. Could be...he had Hamers he ordered new from late 70s/early 80s that I knew of.

The world has stories to tell.

Someone want me to jump on that horse too? :lol:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally wouldn't go nuts on this one even if I had the spare cash lying around. It's at or past what I think it's worth right now. Nothing more historic about this one than any other '77 Sunburst other than a cool low number.

There were 96 '77 Sunbursts and 4 (I've also heard 5) unserialed prototypes. While rare as guitars go, they really aren't that rare as Hamers go (there were only @400 78 Sunbursts and they were produced over 12 months of full "production". 77s were produced for a few months by comparison. This one does have some of the cool features that mark the first 25/30 or so-truss rod cover andither anomalies.

Who said that there were four Sunburst with first fret crown inlays?

There were 96 '77 Sunbursts and 4 (I've also heard 5) unserialed prototypes. While rare as guitars go, they really aren't that rare as Hamers go (there were only @400 78 Sunbursts and they were produced over 12 months of full "production". 77s were produced for a few months by comparison. This one does have some of the cool features that mark the first 25/30 or so-truss rod cover andither anomalies.

And it has crowns. That plus your numbers makes it sound pretty rare to me.

It's also the first '77 with crowns I've seen come up for sale (either here or on ebay) in ten years. Otherwise I would have owned at least one.

The low, low serial number is another plus. If there was no duct tape (and the OHSC), the price would be sky high.

And as far as the duct tape goes, that doesn't scare me.

At least it's not bumper stickers on the back AND front!

that was the story conveyed to me when i first saw 7 0012 ... back in 1977. i don't know how many left the shop. somewhere i saw photo/reference that Jol had one of the four. are there others you know of?

three77sunbursts.jpg

I'm prolly wrong here but I thought all the early SB's had bulls eyes

I'm prolly wrong here but I thought all the early SB's had bulls eyes

I don't think they standardised everything until later which is also why the logo looks a bit odd (strange S) and fingerboard end binding is absent. Even 78s are undergoing a continuous evolution - shorter headstock, new solid bridge etc.

I don't know that I've seen ANY 77 Sunbursts with Bullseyes. Those were used only sporadically in

1978. I've seen more 78s without them than with them. Smoothback and Pat. Pend smoothbacks are at least as common from what I can tell.

that was the story conveyed to me when i first saw 7 0012 ... back in 1977. i don't know how many left the shop. somewhere i saw photo/reference that Jol had one of the four. are there others you know of?

three77sunbursts.jpg

I'm not questioning the accuracy-just looking for information and a source. #7 0001 has the first fret crown, as does at least one of the prototypes. Great pic!

And it has crowns. That plus your numbers makes it sound pretty rare to me.

It's also the first '77 with crowns I've seen come up for sale (either here or on ebay) in ten years. Otherwise I would have owned at least one.

The low, low serial number is another plus. If there was no duct tape (and the OHSC), the price would be sky high.

And as far as the duct tape goes, that doesn't scare me.

At least it's not bumper stickers on the back AND front!

I'd take the duct tape over kizanski's signatures.

The big question still remains- who originally had this guitar? 0005 SHOULD be in the log books, shouldn't it?

Ok, so its #7 0005, and it has a crack. You don't fix that, you F'ing play it. FYI I just sold my truck yesterday....LOL

yeah, this type of guitar purchase usually gets played TONS by the new owner

check out this baby they sold yesterday

http://www.ebay.com/...=item53ea76755b

had no idea this existed and what a fuckin' color!

My ass cringes when I try to imagine what the guy(s) who pawned these got for them.

I don't know that I've seen ANY 77 Sunbursts with Bullseyes. Those were used only sporadically in

1978. I've seen more 78s without them than with them. Smoothback and Pat. Pend smoothbacks are at least as common from what I can tell.

Wow, I can disagree with Serial. Almost every Sunburst I have seen from 78 and up to about 0900 had bulls-eye Grovers. There were bound to be some exceptions, I accept, but it is a general (not absolute) rule. And remember that people can swap stuff over.

The switch in 80 to Schallers was also erratic with guitars in the 2000s still turning up with them.

Maybe for a good run in 78, but I've personally inspected about 10% of the complete run of 77s-with serials ranging from #0001 to one of the later ones (#7077, IIRC) and I don't recall that a single one had Bullseyes. The tuners looked to be original on all but one (no new holes, period correct tuners). I've seen pics of maybe 10-12 more and have yet to see a 77 with Bullseyes. 78s, sure.

These guitars were ordered in fixed lots and a few were rejected. I would imagine that Hamer ordered parts in similar lots (15-25 guitar bodies and necks were shipped in for finishing and assembly, depending on what Hamer was demanding).

Parts were difficult for Hamer to obtain, even through "normal" channels, which were quite limited at the time.

Maybe for a good run in 78, but I've personally inspected about 10% of the complete run of 77s-with serials ranging from #0001 to one of the later ones (#7077, IIRC) and I don't recall that a single one had Bullseyes. The tuners looked to be original on all but one (no new holes, period correct tuners). I've seen pics of maybe 10-12 more and have yet to see a 77 with Bullseyes. 78s, sure.

Never suggested that 77 had Bulls-eye and defer to you on those. Just disagreed on 78s.

Never suggested that 77 had Bulls-eye and defer to you on those. Just disagreed on 78s.

Andrew:

Do you know if there were any 79s with Bullseyes?

I'm not bidding, so no self-interst in scaring any one off. I'd be more concerened about the neck than the cracks in the back. I owned a '78 that I bought new and it developed a serious and (according to Frank U.) unrepairable twist in the neck. My understanding is that a significant number of the early Sunbursts with crowns had this problem. If I were laying out $2-3K or more for this guitar, I would want to be absolutely certain that the neck was straight.

Anyone local? it would be interesting to examine it in person.

My B&C '78 is unbelievable. The neck has no issues whatsoever, but I have also heard those rumors (though not by any means confined strictly to B&C necks).

Agreed, an in-person inspection would be very beneficial to those of us in the game. Anybody out there up for it?

I'm not bidding, so no self-interst in scaring any one off. I'd be more concerened about the neck than the cracks in the back. I owned a '78 that I bought new and it developed a serious and (according to Frank U.) unrepairable twist in the neck. My understanding is that a significant number of the early Sunbursts with crowns had this problem. If I were laying out $2-3K or more for this guitar, I would want to be absolutely certain that the neck was straight.

Anyone local? it would be interesting to examine it in person.

Most of those early B&C necks developed a twist to some degree or another (that goes for my 8 0213 as well), but "unrepairable"? That would have to be pretty bad.

My '78 had the twist, but it still played well and the action was fine (don't ask me how or why), but since I was treating it to a re-fret, planing it was just part of the job.

I would prefer to hold that '77 my hands before buying as well, but considering its early significance, I would buy it and just expect to have to re-fret and plane the neck as i would on any early B&C Sunburst. Especially THAT early of an example.

Archived