Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My Longtime Guitarist And Friend Has Died.....

mc2

I woke up to an email that my former longtime guitarist/GF, Ronni Crooks, died last night at a New Year's party jam. Reportedly laid down on a couch to take a nap after jamming with old bandmates and celebrating a bit too much. They said she was snoring when they last checked on her and then was dead next they looked. Sad. Not an unkind bone in her body.

We lived together for 15+ years until the mid-2000s and had played together even longer. Truly a hell of a musical genius but she had her demons and thought she was immortal. She'd been dead a few times but always revived...even when she'd been run over by an off-duty NYC cop around 2000 and in a coma she came back to play after a year of recovery.

We'd toured tgether and she'd played at many NAMM shows as an endorser for companies such as Steinberger, Vigier, Crate, Gibson and Brian Moore. Over the years I'd take calls at the house from people like Alphonso Johnson, Michael Schenker and Janet/Michael Jackson's manager, all asking her to play but she was the most humble, down to earth girl you'd ever meet. She had been a protege of guitarist Billy Bauer when she was still in her teens and was a hell of a jazz and funk player, in addition to the rock stuff she mainly played at shows.

I'd just heard from her two days ago and she was stoked about playing with some old bandmates for New Years. I'm going to miss her. She knew me better than anyone. I still have a lot of her stuff at my house. At least she went out doing what she loved most, playing.

Pictured with her Hamer in the mid-90s.

RonniCrooksSnakeChap_BWeb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Archived