Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Paul Simon... Kodachrome

specialk

I have held on to both of my Minoltas. My Maxxum takes great pictures and weighs less than a lot of digitals. However, we were in Ireland last Fall, and I ran low on film. It was very hard to find. So it looks like I'll be replacing the Maxxum with a digital. That's going to put a pretty serious dent in the ass national bank! My biggest complaint with digital is trying to print photos at home. Even with photo paper, if you don't buy photo ink cartridges, the pictures fade pretty fast. I've got some old family albums that have pictures nearly a hundred years old that are still in pretty good shape.

I have held on to both of my Minoltas. My Maxxum takes great pictures and weighs less than a lot of digitals. However, we were in Ireland last Fall, and I ran low on film. It was very hard to find. So it looks like I'll be replacing the Maxxum with a digital. That's going to put a pretty serious dent in the ass national bank!

In that case, before you dump your lenses, check into the Sony Alpha DSLR line. Sony bought up the Minolta/Konica camera line to form the basis for their DSLR line, so their Alpha line is backward compatible with Maxxum lenses. Furthermore, the Sony system puts the image stabilizer in the camera body rather than the lens as Nikon and Canon do. Maxxum was the first auto-focus 35mm SLR system, so there are compatible lenses going back to the mid-'80s. Although Sony retained the weird-ass flash shoe, the old Maxxum flashes' auto functions don't carry forward.

This has kept the resale values of 35mm Maxxum gear higher than the others, but even so, I got a used Minolta 50mm f1.8 for $79 and a Sigma Pro 28-80 f2.8 (a $600-800 lens) for about $150.

I would rather jab pencils in my ears. God I hated that song. Right up there with '50 ways to eat your mother'.

Funny, for whatever reason, I was rewriting lyrics for "50 Ways to Beat Your Lover" (Not real PC, but what are ya gonna do?)

Kick out her teeth Keith

Stomp on her toe Joe

Punch 'er in the Eye Sly...........

(the poster does not condone domestic abuse)

Dave! Across The Universe is very much a Lennon song, despite the credit, and, McCartney has *many* moments of brilliance, under the Wings banner alone!

The thing about McCartney is that even when he's coasting he's still a better songwriter than most. I would guess that his "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" and "Listen to What the Man Said" would qualify as top 40 pap, but these two songs spoke to me when I was going through some rough times. They were catchy enough to get my attention, let me enjoy their lighthearted nature, and pull me through the darkness.

Songs don't have to be profound to make the world a better place. In fact, sometimes it's better if they aren't. Think of all the great--but not profound--songs that helped get America through the Great Depression.

here is some kodachrome for ya.....

My grampa, my dad and his 2 sisters....1959

BUTRIOFARM.jpg

My dads 1969 Camaro...it didnt live much past the time this picture was taken....1970

CAMARO.jpg

My dad and his 2 sisters....1959

HOOLAHOOP2.jpg

Me....1977

Untitled-14.jpg

HOOLAHOOP2.jpg

Now that is the classic Kodachrome look, with the subtle shading, excellent skin tones and even color balance.

How old is your dad in those pics? I was born in 1953 and remember 1959 (and hula hoops) very well.

I think he is 6 or 7?

HOOLAHOOP2.jpg

I think he is 6 or 7

Now that is the classic Kodachrome look, with the subtle shading, excellent skin tones and even color balance.

How old is your dad in those pics? I was born in 1953 and remember 1959 (and hula hoops) very well.

Archived