Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Korina Vectors

Big Country

I'm trying to get a feel for how loved these guitars are. I came close to buying Mike Hansens but couldn't pull enough coin together. Someone else snagged it, but I can't get the guitar out of my mind!!! Someone described them as being like a LP meets a 335. Also that they sound resonant unplugged and light in weight (duh) Any Korina V owners out there that can give me more info on what they love/don't love about em? How do they sound? feel? are they worth close to $2000?

Thanks,

Thomas

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold mine to serial and still regret it at times. Incredible guitars.

IMHO worth $2K and then some, considering the crap Gibson, PRS and the like offer for similar bones.

Easily the best Vee out there - better than those selling at twice the price. If you can find one, try one.

Brian B. has one that is quite possibly the lightest guitar I've ever played (including fly-weight acoustics). Sad thing is that it has his name on the headstock, so I couldn't just make off with it!

("Hey Chris - are you happy to see me or is that a...")

This could be the sweetest deal going on a Korina Vector right now - this one is also with a good seller:

Korina Vector Auction (Tom J.)

"Brian B. has one that is quite possibly the lightest guitar I've ever played (including fly-weight acoustics). Sad thing is that it has his name on the headstock, so I couldn't just make off with it!"

"Hey Chris - are you happy to see me or is that a..."

There is "No Doubt" that the Hamer USA Korina Vee is the best out there. I have played other brands but have stayed true to the brand I love.

The Brian Ball Vee - thanks to Kim Keller, Frank U, and Jol and Co. is truly amazing. I waited several years to get approval to have it done and when it was finally said and done, it was spectacular over the top.

Chris, as always thanks for the compliments. However, I am going to have to ask my security team of Fung and Co. to conduct a full body search. I heard they could be bought off though - evirtutally... :)

"considering the crap Gibson, PRS and the like offer for similar bones. "

I can see gibson and completely agre but what's wrong with PRS?

Just a question.

-MattB

"especially since to get a PRS "V" you'd have to spend like 10K for a handmade Private Stock."

I don't think PRS would do a V for 20K. Not their style. I just mean what is "crap" that PRS puts out?

Matt, my personal opinion, PRS guitars are overpriced for what you get. They are well made overall, but I've only played two that really impressed me from a tone standpoint plugged in and I'm convinced they were just "special" ones, because I've TRIED to like PRS guitars, I really have.

Nice acoustically across the board, but running tape doesn't capture pretty tops and the PRS electronics packages don't cut it IMHO. The best PRS I've ever played was one that Poe had a few years ago, and if I would have had the money to buy it when he was selling it, the first thing I would have done was gut the thing electronically and put something in it that wasn't trying to be everything electric and just focused on helping that specific guitar do what it was capable of doing.

Every Vector I've played kicked ass in all aspects.

"Matt, my personal opinion, PRS guitars are overpriced for what you get. They are well made overall, but I've only played two that really impressed me from a tone standpoint plugged in and I'm convinced they were just "special" ones, because I've TRIED to like PRS guitars, I really have.

Nice acoustically across the board, but running tape doesn't capture pretty tops and the PRS electronics packages don't cut it IMHO. The best PRS I've ever played was one that Poe had a few years ago, and if I would have had the money to buy it when he was selling it, the first thing I would have done was gut the thing electronically and put something in it that wasn't trying to be everything electric and just focused on helping that specific guitar do what it was capable of doing.

Every Vector I've played kicked ass in all aspects. "

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I personally love my PRS. It's a Custom 24 but doesnt have any of the bling. Non-10 top, moon inlays, etc. I like the fact that it has so many tonal options and that it is so comfortable to play compared to my Hamers. I prefer my Hamers but I play the PRS more because it is more comfortable.

-mattB

I silently thank JeffR several times a week for hooking me up with the Korina Vector I now own. It is above 95% of the guitars I've owned in the past 20 years, with only some old original Standards challenging it or bettering it.

I think $2K is a steal for one of these. I've got more guitars than I need, especially after getting that Korina Vector. Realistically, I could survive with that one and a guitar with a trem and cover all bases I would ever need to.

The 97s were all made in Arlington Heights, which some sellers will advertise as "better". I don't know about that necessarily, as the CT produced ones are superb. The ones from the run of 72 are as well (the ones I've played). Not that all are perfect, but I've played maybe two dozen korina Hamers and they were ALL excellent guitars. I've spoken to some of the guys who were at Arlington Heights in the final days and more than one has mentioned that they really took pride in the korina Vectors, even though they were going to be losing their jobs. The last AH guitar was a Korina Vector from the run of 72 (NOT #72, although that was done just before the last day-that run was not done in consecutive numbers like the run of 100 Standards in 95/96).

I can't see how they can make the new ones any better.

I have one of the 72, and I have been able to see a couple others from the run. I played one of them, too.

The korina Vectors are lightweight! I think mine is around seven pounds. I remember it was lighter than the other two that came through the store. The Vectors have a nice midrangey kind of sound. Think of a classic/arena rock sound and you will get it! I would not compare them to Les Pauls, though. I wish I could come up with a good explanation of what is different. If you are thinking of flat top Les Paul Special, then you have a better comparison sound-wise. The Vee/Vector does not hang the same, and even though the necks may be carved similar they are not going to feel the same because of the way they hang. My Vector is a nice resonant guitar. I've played rock and roll with mine-- or at least I have tried to play rock and roll... I always end up as bass player.

The last thing to remember is that Vectors are best played standing up. Even though there is a rubber skid strip on the bottom, Vectors are not that practical for sitting down.

I have one of the 72 Vectors from 97 and it is a fantastic guitar. Before getting the Vector, I thought that all of the rock stars that rested them in their crotch were just making some sort of phallic suggestion, but I have found myself doing the same thing more than once when I am really digging in. Definitely not a comfortable guitar for sitting down and practicing though.

ALL of the limited run of 72 were made in AH.

The model was available after that in Japanese catalogs and by custom order, so a few popped out here and there, but I think it wasn't until 2003 that they became a regular item.

Steves comments have brought up a question. It was my understanding that when the original V's were designed they were designed with sitting down playing in mind, hence the unusual shape. You were supposed to sit and play it like you would a classical guitar, with the notch?(I don't know what the hell you call that part) resting on your....uuuhh, right leg for you damn right handed people out there. Is that not the case? I've never been able to sit down with a V yet so I don't know if it really works like that or the designers were just on drugs or the rumor I heard was completely false or what?

Actually, when the Vees were first designed, there was little, if any, consideration for comfort or playability. They were reportedly drafted by an auto designer of the time working with Ted McCarty to add a little "flash" to the stodgy Gibson image and basically make a splash in the marketplace.

Interestingly enough, the Explorer and Futura body styles have an amazing balance factor and are great ergonomically in a sitting or standing position. I never got along with the Moderne style, but know some people who swear by it. (okay...ONE person)

The Vee/Vector is just a classic design that works, but sitting with one is definitely an acquired talent.

That's the way I played mine/serial's.

Bro Chris is right. Ted McCarty said in interviews before his death that the Flying V/Explorer/Moderne designs Gibson unveiled in the late 50s were primarily created to show Gibson's push towards the more futuristic. Seems I remember he was sick of the guys at Fender calling Gibson's products dated, so he showed up with the exotic shapes at NAMM or whatever it was called back then to shut them up.

I'd say the classical playing position was more likely an afterthought, or a pleasant accident

It's pretty interesting that the more I research this guitar the more I discover that the tone is more oriented towards Blues rock/classic rock. It looks so 80s metal!!! But apparantley the tone isn't. Not saying thats good or bad. Just interesting. I guess it's hard to be meaty sounding if you weight 6.5 lbs!

Thomas

Thomas:

I know that descriptions can be really subjective to the player's own ear and perception of how a particular word translates to a guitar's tone, but some of the "meatiest" guitars I've played have been lightweight Vees. Some of 'em downright LesPaulish even.

If you take the tone controls and roll them back just a touch (especially on the neck pickup), you can get into that milky LP zone pretty easily. Especially in distortion/overdrive situations.

I bought one from Willcutt Guitars around February this year. I have 25+ electrics, and have found that I'm bringing the Korina V to most gigs. It's got a great, balanced feel; I can play all the way up on the fretboard without interference; the tone of the guitar is fabulous as well.

It sure looks cool. How can you go wrong? I play in 3 different bands at the moment, and it works in all of them. It's got a nice, full tone, for a solid body guitar.

CraigWiperHamerKorinaVector.jpg

HamerKorinaVectorBack.jpg

HamerKorinaVectorBody.jpg

Mesadude :)

I have been playing the Korina V that I got from Pheonix quite a bit lately. It always takes me a while to take in the full character of a guitar because I seem to hear different things on different days.

I will say this, this guitar has the most complex mids of any of my guitars hands down! It sings, its big and fat sounding but still articulate with a bit of sparkle or twang at the top. It has a full sounding low end but the mids is where this guitar shines. Its very organic sounding through my amps. Im keeping this one!

This Korina V and my Gibson 61 RI SG both have extraordinary tone compared to my other guitars.

Archived