Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wang Bar Love

diablo175

Sitting in front of the ol' Mac with Hamer Cali in hand, noodling around with the Floyd, I got to trying to mentally compile a list of the all time great whammy bar users. The usual suspects came up: Duane Eddy, Hendrix, Beck, EVH, Brad Gillis, Vai, Satriani, & Dimebag.

But there are a lot of noteworthy users that are overlooked- Jim Heath (Rev. Horton Heat), David Gilmour, James Mankey (Concrete Blonde) Steve Lynch (Autograph) Matthias IA Eklundh & Tom Morello to name a few.

Hit me up with some of your songs, artists, one shot candidates for noteworthy whammy bar usage.

Steve Stevens

Frank Marino~ I saw this tour. I am still to this day.... omg.

How the hell can he do all that with the Gibson Vibrola and not have that mutha so far outta tune? :blink: Amazing sh*t!

LOVE Belew. Was cranking "Elephant Talk" on Thursday.

TBK is a Kahler without heavy springs fo' sho.

Don't get me started.

sounds like we have much in common my friend..

mike

Besides first names?

No, I was referring to a certain Bears gig I saw with a few certain Chicago area HFC-ers, where I was shouting out "ELEPHANT TALK!" and other King Crimson guitar-centric tunes because of my near death boredom brought on by what I was witnessing.

Jeff Beck? ....Anyone?

And not for nothin', but Michael Lee Firkins has some killin' moves.

:)

GH

I listed Beck as one of the obvious choices for all-time greats... :D

.... I was referring to a certain Bears gig I saw with a few certain Chicago area HFC-ers, where I was shouting out "ELEPHANT TALK!" and other King Crimson guitar-centric tunes because of my near death boredom brought on by what I was witnessing.

ahh. replace shouting "Elephant Talk" with shouting "Twang Bar King" (or "Big Electric Cat", etc.) at recent KC-type Belew things and we're practically twins.

and fwiw (prolly nothing), those 3 80s KC discs are (to me) a Holy Triad.

mike

LOVE Belew. Was cranking "Elephant Talk" on Thursday.

TBK is a Kahler without heavy springs fo' sho.

from what i've read, the solo from TBK was originally recorded using his strat in some "silo" studio in Il and later flown in to the elsewhere-recorded track.

Good call on Ritchie, Mark! Just getting ready to type that...

This one is just for Kiz:

DSC01094.JPG

Big debate I always get in is whether people prefer the "down only" flat topped trem, or the floating trem. SRV had his trem flat-topped. EVH as well always has had his floyds flat topped on all of his signature guitars.

I mean, the good side of having it down only is that you can bend like hell and not have any problems. Also some say the tone conduction is better with it on the top. Downside? only goes down. Great for dive bombs, but not necessarily for vibrato (which it was designed for) and expressive playing.

Archived