Hamer Fan Club Message Center

God Bless Dave Grohl

BadgerDave

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, Dave Grohl. Never misses an opportunity to enhance his carefully crafted persona of having "cred" amid all his millions and major label dalliances.

"A microphone and a tape machine." You can bet your ass he wasn't talking about an SM58 knockoff into a Fostex.

Well . . .

at least he didn't gargle incomprehensable off-key kinderhymes while dry-humping a fake priest.

What the hell was that about? Gaga-envy?

Well . . .

at least he didn't gargle incomprehensable off-key kinderhymes while dry-humping a fake priest.

What the hell was that about? Gaga-envy?

No idea what you're talking about, but SteveB is the resident expert on all things Gaga.

Grohl is infinitely better than Jeff Lynne, I'll give him that.

No idea what you're talking about, but SteveB is the resident expert on all things Gaga.

Ha... alas, too true. Mostly though I just like to troll the fine folks at TGP.

I think Badger was talking about Nicki Minaj's "performance".

Ah, Dave Grohl. Never misses an opportunity to enhance his carefully crafted persona of having "cred" amid all his millions and major label dalliances.

He learned from the best

Glad I'm not the only "cynic" around here lol.

He learned from the best

I just wanted to give ZMB something to do when he checks in today

I was glad to see them beat out Mumford and Sons and Coldplay for rock. I wouldn't classify those two as rock but whatever. I would have liked to have seen Megadeth or Mastodon take one home though.

He learned from the best

"A microphone and a tape machine." You can bet your ass he wasn't talking about an SM58 knockoff into a Fostex.

Seriously. I mean, the "garage" he recorded his album in is nicer than my house! :lol:

-

Austin

Sorry, my response didn't make any sense - one of those days! I was indeed referencing the Nicki Minoj demonic possession publicty stunt near the end of the festivities.

I had no problem with her blatantly blasphemous "in your face" to the half dozen openly Christian attendees (after all, I'm a big Alice Cooper fan), but it was a near perfect counterpoint to Dave Grohl's statement about music coming from the mind and heart of the performer. Minoj managed to "sing" off key consistantly and any part of the performance that could be catagorized as a song was completely buried by staging, correography, video clips, and other non-musical elements.

It was laughably obvious that she was attempting to "one-up" GaGa and position herself as a "shocking" performance artist. Too bad she can't sing.

It was laughably obvious that she was attempting to "one-up" GaGa and position herself as a "shocking" performance artist. Too bad she can't sing.

Nicki is working with Laurieann Gibson, former Creative Director and Choreographer for Gaga who Gaga "parted ways with" earlier this year for "creative differences," which were brewing all year. I think Gibson was trying to prove she was the creative force behind Gaga, but Nicki's performance came across as an in-cohesive mess, and Nicki herself doesn't have the performance or singing/rapping talent to back it up. Some people claim Nicki is a great rapper, but I just don't see it, and the way she uses her voice annoys me.

The Foos are awesome. Dave writes great songs, is multi-instrumental and an effective pop singer... what's not to love? They are really good live too.

Dave's a thoughtful and smart guy. Dave isn't some kind of weirdo rock star by any means, he's a rather pragmatic and straight shooter.

I mean, if people think that he is trying to be something that he's not I would understand, but that simply just isn't the case here.

Cynicism is good, I frequently roll around in it like a mutt in a dead animal carcass... but Dave Grohl?

No one is safe.

HideYKHYWife.jpg

He learned from the best

I just wanted to give ZMB something to do when he checks in today

Oh SNAPZ!!

adamfamily.gif

" The Foos are awesome. Dave writes great songs, is multi-instrumental and an effective pop singer... what's not to love? They are really good live too. Dave's a thoughtful and smart guy. Dave isn't some kind of weirdo rock star by any means, he's a rather pragmatic and straight shooter. I mean, if people think that he is trying to be something that he's not I would understand, but that simply just isn't the case here. "

Okay, I will give you " Dave writes great songs, is multi-instrumental and an effective pop singer."

But on a personal note, and knowing the people that he knew, I know, in that majical time in the late 80's, early 90's.

Many bridges burned and havoc upon souls rests on those talented shoulders.

thoughtful? Not then, "maybe" now...

I found his comments relevent but I'm fairly certain nobody "in the business" gives a shit. So I agree with MC's assertion that he was polishing his own balls to the tv audience. I'll bet he goes right back to digital for the next album. I'm not sorry I missed the Nikki whatever her name is shlock. I got bored and switched the channel to something entertaining - Finding Bigfoot. No risk of taking anything too serious there. However I was impressed with the sassy spanking handed out by Taylor Swift singing Why Ya Gotta be Mean or whatever it was. She actually made it through without going off key this year! Boy she really showed us! I know, I know, I'm just jealous that I can't be up there with them. Yeaaa.. that's the ticket!

In a universe where Foster the People are considered a rock band, the Foo's look like geniuses.

I'd say that FTP's single was more subversive and "rock and roll" than anything the Foo's have done for years. :D

Anyway, nothing will ever top the Jethro Tull debacle as far as ridiculous Grammy categorizations goes.

And finally...Chris Brown... *shakes head*

-

Austin

I'd say that FTP's single was more subversive and "rock and roll" than anything the Foo's have done for years. :D

Austin

The production on "Pumped up Kicks" drives me nuts. Dunno why they decided to bury the chorus in delay.

July will be three years in Oakland and giving up DirecTV in the process. Don't miss it, don't care.

I effing don't like arts award shows. IMO, buncha twats patting each other on the back and all... It's not sports, wherein you have hard stats/numbers to prove who is the best athlete.

Searched for the video of Grohl to no avail, but found the text if anybody missed it:

Dave Grohl's Grammys acceptance speech:

"This is a great honour, because this record was a special record for our band. Rather than go to the best studio in the world down the street in Hollywood and rather than use all of the fanciest computers that money can buy, we made this one in my garage with some microphones and a tape machine...

"To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of music is what's important. Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do.

"It's not about being perfect, it's not about sounding absolutely correct, it's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [your heart] and what goes on in here [your head]."

Archived