Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New discovery - Out of phase sounds

Was playing my 92 sunburst custom the other day, when... OH heaven, a miracle! I rolled back the tone control almost compl. and playing on the bridge bucker, suddenly got woody, nasal Greeny kind of sounds! DOn't know if that's normal, as my pickups are NOT stock, I have SD Seth Lover in the neck and a SD Antiquity in the bridge.

Does the tone cotrol play a role in this out of phase thing? I read that the bridge pickup was wired out of phase on these early sunbursts. Mine sounds pretty normal when the tone is all the way up.

A long time friend of oop sounds, I can say this woody nasal kind of sound is quite normal. Depending on tone settings and amp this sounds come out more or less dedicated. You can create some really nice scratchy rhythm with these sounds.

With oop wired humbuckers my experiences are limited.

My korina Special is wired out of phase, and it does sound unique. It also has two tone controls on a concentric pot, so it is possible to have one pickup with the tone rolled off while the other is full on. That can be done on a Les Paul all the time, and it really can be fun.

Most old Sunburst are wired this way from the factory. They sound great in the middle position. I wired my SuperPro this way too. If you want funky sounds you go out of phase. :D

how would you switch the wires to become out of phase. For example, on a SD humbucker, red and white and tied, black is signal and green is ground. Would you tie the black and green and use the red for signal?

I have SD Liberator pots on three of my guitars; wiring a pickup out of phase merely requires swapping where the wires are screwed in.

how would you switch the wires to become out of phase.

I'm not sure about color codes. If red and white are tied together leave them because that's probably used if you want to split the coil. Which ever wire goes to the pickup selector or potentiometer is hot and the other is ground will be soldered to the casing of the potentiometer or the switch eventually making a path back to the sleeve of the input jack. I bought a guitar used a year ago and the pickups were out of phase. I did not like it. I took the cover off the back of the guitar and I could tell all the wiring was factory. I then saw the pickup cover and been re soldered. I removed the pickup cover and rotated the magnet 180 degrees. Same effect much simpler to do.

how would you switch the wires to become out of phase. For example, on a SD humbucker, red and white and tied, black is signal and green is ground. Would you tie the black and green and use the red for signal?

I have SD Liberator pots on three of my guitars; wiring a pickup out of phase merely requires swapping where the wires are screwed in.

3 Options:

1. Switch the humbucker as a whole within the overall wiring, swap ground and signal that would be black and green in this case.

2. Switch the 2 coils of a humbucker oop to each other, swap black and white or red and green if this color combination belongs to one particular coils respectively. Both coils of the humbucker are wired in series.

3. Wire the 2 coils of the humbucker in parallel oop. Tie green to black and wire the red/white pair to ground.

All options are worth checking. With option 2. and 3. the overall wiring scheme remains intact as the oop works within the pickup. You could actually apply 2. and 3. to both bridge and neck pickup. Quite confusing right? Humbuckers offer many options.

Hi there,

Got my 91 Sunburst Custom Floyd fitted with Bareknuckle Steve Stevens in the bridge and a Seymour JB in the neck (?) - has the most amazing out of phase sound I've ever had- probably due to the output of the JB in the neck being quite high...allows me to get the most crazy pinch harmonics- but is tamed by the tone control if needed...I love having it so much, I fitted a push-push tone control to pop it in and out when needed......

Cheers

Dave B)

3 Options:

1. Switch the humbucker as a whole within the overall wiring, swap ground and signal that would be black and green in this case.

2. Switch the 2 coils of a humbucker oop to each other, swap black and white or red and green if this color combination belongs to one particular coils respectively. Both coils of the humbucker are wired in series.

3. Wire the 2 coils of the humbucker in parallel oop. Tie green to black and wire the red/white pair to ground.

All options are worth checking. With option 2. and 3. the overall wiring scheme remains intact as the oop works within the pickup. You could actually apply 2. and 3. to both bridge and neck pickup. Quite confusing right? Humbuckers offer many options.

1) is not the case on my guitar

2) my buckers have only 2 wires (like vintage pickups) - shield and wire inside... so..?

2) my buckers have only 2 wires (like vintage pickups) - shield and wire inside... so..?

Swap shield and wire then.

Swap shield and wire then.

That is not a good way to do it. I am not even sure it would work. You'll need at least three wires like on the old Dimarzio.

Just flip the magnet in one of the pups, it's an easy way to do it. And you don't have to solder.

Archived