Hamer Fan Club Message Center

the ten most righteous HFC-owned Hamers

veatch

This setneck Chaparral with Sustainiac, offset dots on ebony, matching reverse headstock, some custom contouring and solid flame body. Photo below.

This boomer'd, black & white pearl Scepter with white/gold hardware and custom factory PUPs that was apparently spiffy enough for Paul Hamer to sign under the clear in the trem cavity.

ScepterPHamerSig_webS.jpg

Ronni's snakeskin Chaparral...setneck with matching headstock, OBLs and the only Hamer made with factory Jackson sharkfins on ebony. My fave. Also pictured is the matching 7-string/octave doubleneck of mine she borrowed.

RonniCrooksHamerSnakeskinCW.jpg

Guess I'll just have to nominate the Cajun Burst myself.

hamer1.jpg

Woof! <Salute!>
I salute every time I see it. I could not order a guitar more perfect than that one for myself. Every option I could think of down to the Sustainblock.

I salute every time I see it as well.

With my penis.

Ronni's snakeskin Chaparral...setneck with matching headstock, OBLs and the only Hamer made with factory Jackson sharkfins on ebony. My fave.

RonniCrooksHamerSnakeskinCW.jpg

I send a prayer to any fashion designer in the world setting women into shape.

Guess I'll just have to nominate the Cajun Burst myself.

hamer1.jpg

Woof! <Salute!>
I salute every time I see it. I could not order a guitar more perfect than that one for myself. Every option I could think of down to the Sustainblock.

I salute every time I see it as well.

With my penis.

Do not tea bag my future guitar. :blink:

Six pages and we haven't had mention of this one?

fbombincolor_0063.jpg

Am I the only non-owner fan? :wub:

I'm lovin' it. Right now actually.

Don't know if its been mentioned, but IMO Formula73's Korina Vector #029 of 72 deserves a place in history because of its history and backstory.

It definitely deserves a spot on the list.

No doubt about that!

Since we can't seem to agree on what "iconic" means, let's keep this one simple (i know we've done this before, but it's always a pron-fest... :) )

What are the 10 most righteous Hamer guitars you've seen owned by an HFC member. Please have pics to apply...

I don't have 10, but mine are:

Moozak's Nightfire Talladega:

IMG_3255.jpg

These kill too!

CustomTally4.jpg

Thanks guys! i see my custom built Tally made it into a couple of posts here. i've been out of work for a little while now and i honestly thought i was going to have to sell it for a while there... but i'm glad i did not! the one killer thing that stands out on my guitar (at least to me) is the DARK brazilian fingerboard! i remember when i ordered it... i asked them for a dark brazilian board with consistent color and no "odd streaks" running through it. so, when i first saw them post the guitar on their work shop blog (which is where the 2nd pic above came from) i was shocked... because i thought they had made a mistake and used ebony instead! as it turned out... it's the DARKEST piece of brazilian rosewood i have ever seen on a "new" guitar neck... and it also has this wonderful sweet chocolate sort of smell to it. you would have to see it up close to believe it! it's a stunning piece of fingerboard wood.

it was in the hamer workshop blog that i also learned that Jol himself had referred to my guitar as "The Nightfire Tally"... so that name has always stuck... and that's stil what i call it from time to time. it was one of the last guitars Jol himself actually worked on before he left.

anyway... thanks guys!

just for the fun of it... if you want a bit more history... i got the idea for this guitar after seeing 2 guitars... one was a previously custom built Tally in sort of a Tiger Eye finish... and the other - believe it or not - was a custom built 59 historic Les Paul. so... when i custom ordered this guitar... i sent them these 2 pics (along with several others) for references:

TheTypeOfLookImGoingForWithTheColor.jpg

ILikeNiceConsistentQuiltingLikeThis.jpg

so can you see where i got the idea now? i just thought you guys might enjoy seeing these pics as part of the history of the birth of this guitar. i think they pretty much NAILED what i was going for... don't you? I WISH I ALSO OWNED THE TIGER EYE TALLY ABOVE AS WELL!

Not EXACTLY the one that inspired Nightfire, but maybe close enough for government work!

At least I like it......

KGrHqEOKj8E30180RvBOHbWTdZlw_3.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

Duotone Custom

hamer05duotone-custom.jpg

Monaco Elite

DSC00773.jpg

Most iconic? Not really, but still fun to look at.....

IMG_0056.jpg

Or.....

KGrHqEOKpwE3t5yrVdnBOHGp3StQg_3.jpg

Not EXACTLY the one that inspired Nightfire, but maybe close enough for government work!

At least I like it......

DSC00771.jpg

OMG so YOU'RE the one! LOL... i remember when that hit their website and i was getting ready to call in and ask how much... and before i knew it - GONE!

looks amazing! how does it play/feel?

congrats my friend!

At least I like it......

DSC00771.jpg

OMG so YOU'RE the one! LOL... i remember when that hit their website and i was getting ready to call in and ask how much... and before i knew it - GONE!

looks amazing! how does it play/feel?

congrats my friend!

It was no small part of my interest when you posted your Talladega not that long ago. Sounded like a good idea to have them as "siblings". It was just more than I could justify at the time. Glad you found a way to keep 'er.

I like the action and feel of both the Tally and Tally Pro......Changed my mind about "not liking" longer scale guitars. The Pro is definitely heavier than the genuine lightweight Tally (which is nice enough looking, but not like the Pro). (Another reason why I could not think as seriously about yours!)

DSC00774.jpg

I posted some comments on the sound in the thread on the neck carve comparisons......A little out of place, but there was a promise of sound clips coming, so I tossed out my 2 cents worth. Both are quite amazing instruments. I wonder, on the Pro especially, if a change in pickups would make it even better......But have not gone there.

I posted some comments on the sound in the thread on the neck carve comparisons......A little out of place, but there was a promise of sound clips coming, so I tossed out my 2 cents worth. Both are quite amazing instruments. I wonder, on the Pro especially, if a change in pickups would make it even better......But have not gone there.

well, Jon Herington (Steely Dan) certainly changed his pickups out on his Tally Pro... i believe he went with Fralin unbuckers? that gave me more Fender-esque tones... which made me wonder... why didn't he just go with a regular Tally? but, he does get some pretty good sounds out of it the way he's got it set up.

check this out...

there was another video of him onstage with Jol and talking about the mod's he made to his Tally Pro... but i can't find that video for some reason.

The Unbuckers are interesting......Unbalanced coils so that, when split, you do not have a sharp a drop in volume. To take advantage, you'd have to add push/pulls or do other mods......Not going to do that with this guitar.

I'm torn; the Strat guy in me loves the idea of the master volume, but I love having two humbuckers together and using the volume knobs to get different tones.

Love Herington's tone. One of my favorite players.

The Unbuckers are interesting......Unbalanced coils so that, when split, you do not have a sharp a drop in volume. To take advantage, you'd have to add push/pulls or do other mods......Not going to do that with this guitar.

well, you could just wire it to where you have Bridge humbucker... Bridge and Neck single coil... and Neck humbucker... then no mods required and you got a great "quack" in the middle position! a bit limiting... but still getting some use out of the unbuckers!

Archived