Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ronnie Montrose RIP (1947-2012)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i was ~15, used to do a gamma tune w/ these older guys that i jammed w/ for a brief while, it was called "four horsemen" (this is pre metallica, a different tune).

i tried to find a youtube link, but they've all been disabled. too bad, cool tune. i'm also a fan of the 1st montrose album, and agree that its the only sammy stuff i actually put on & listen to...

r.i.p.

Way cool.. That is from the second Gamma record, and their best, if you ask me. Very listenable hard rock from around 1980. One or two cuts keep it from being another Montrose masterpiece.

Getting caught up on some work listening to Montrose. "Make It Last" came up.

"Whether i'm 12, or whether i'm 64

Spend my time like there ain't gunna be no more..."

Ronnie turned 64 in November.

RIP, Ronnie.

Felt like I got kicked in the gut when I saw this thread title. SOB. One of the greatest hard rock riffs of all time is 'Rock Candy', RIP Ronnie.

ETA:

However, I don't have a picture about his musical achievements. Somehow the music didn't reach me. I listened to the attached videos above and like it.

RIP.

Always liked this one.. feel the power of the guitar when Ronnie hits the opening riff:

^^^ THIS

Couldn't believe it when I saw the thread. Sophomore year of high school, this was the album you had to have. Doesn't seem like 38-39 years ago.

Ronnie, you did "Rock the Nation", thanks.

Depressing...M1 always makes my top 5 whenever I stop to think about it. Like HHB said, I remember chasing those licks and that sound all through the 70's.

This would have been amazing...

"we were planning a Montrose reunion for my birthday in Cabo this year. Montrose, the whole band, has not been there. Denny's been there, Bill's been there, Ronnie's been there – but [the whole band together] has never been there. I said to Ronnie, "Come on, man. We're all getting old. Let's do this again while we can." And he was in, we were all in. On my 65th, on October 13th, I was planning on coming out with Montrose, doing the whole first album, then going in with my other band, and then bringing Chickenfoot out. I was going to try to [cover] my whole four decades for the fans that night, without nobody knowing. And Ronnie was in..."

Its funny how coincidence happens.

While I was backstage with Z (zoner to the hfc breathern) duing the intermission of our second night performing the rock opera, he stuck the headphones he was wearing to psych up for the second half on my head saying "check this out",

It was Gamma doing voyager and while I was definately familar with it, I hadnt heard it in a long long time, It was great.

A little over a week later we got the news. weird.

It's too bad he's moved on but the music he left will continue to be there for everyone to enjoy forever. Hopefully this will get people to check him out again or for the first time. That's the brightside of the story.

• 1 month later...

Archived