Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Heroin and the great guitarists

salem

I have seen first hand what heroin can do to a person and a family. I have a brother who is a heroin addict (currently 7 months sober). No amount of supposed enhanced creativity is worth the risk. And the glorification of those that have survived abusing it sickens me beyond words.

You want a flame war? Kurt Cobain SUCKED!

-Bobby

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't seem to make my cousin any more beautiful, but it did rob him of his family, friends outside of drugs, and everything else he had known until he jumped off the I-10 overpass going into Slidel Louisiana and only succeeded in breaking every bone he had (that I-10 bridge is a low one). He recovered and is now 44 and in jail (with other beautiful people) for robbing a store to feed his continuing addiction.

"The connection between rock musicians and excessive drug use is by now commonplace, but it is important to remember that drugs have played a significant role in the cultures and subcultures surrounding other musical forms as well—notably the use and valuation of heroin and other drugs by be-bop jazz musicians. Among musicians themselves and among critics and commentators, drug use is often linked with creativity, and performers' work following their "cleaning up" is often viewed as disappointing. But it is not simply the idea that drug use somehow promotes "better" music that provokes fascination in Miles Davis or Lou Reed; it is more importantly the way in which, even as such figures transgress musical limits, they transgress socially prescribed norms of the body, affect, and identity. Social and bodily transgression is valorized through its articulation to aesthetic innovation, and this articulation brings out utopian impulses in audiences for whom such transgressions seem to suggest new possibilities for the experience of everyday life.

What does the body on heroin do? Perhaps we first need to think about what the body on heroin does not do. Heroin provokes a loss of appetite for and disinterest in food; indeed, the hunger for the drug displaces the hunger for food to the extent that food takes on an abject status. It is no longer what the body needs, but rather precisely what the body does not need and expels in the vomiting which often accompanies taking the drug. Authors such as William Burroughs, Jim Carroll (pictured) and Irvine Welsh have all documented the disdain for food and its consumption which becomes something of a mark of status in junkie subcultures: renouncing food indicates real commitment. 3 The body of the junkie thus acquires the painfully thin, withering appearance embodied by icons such as Sid Vicious and Keith Richards. Another common understanding of what the body on heroin does not do is have sex. This perception genders the body of the heroin user as male, however. Although heroin has been shown to reduce sex drive in both men and women, the impotence produced in men by heroin use (humorously depicted in Drugstore Cowboy) marks a dramatic transformation of bodily functions and capacities which plays a significant role in many accounts of heroin cultures. It is notable that most junkie icons in popular culture have been male, suggesting that the transgressions upon normative conceptions of masculinity effected by heroin use register more powerfully upon the public imaginary."

-- Just pulled the above off a website

I'm not here to educate, Mr. Poe; ... I wrote what I feel was my best stuff on heroin with a sunburst Strat and an old Tweed amp: "Teenage Heroin Blues," and " Down and Out in a Room in Baltimore."

Even though he's just trolling us now, I'd say "put your money where your mouth is. Create and share an immediate music file with you playing and singing these two songs and we'll judge how good they are. And hey, you could even do it on junk so we can here how it enhances your playing too. Better still, set up your DVR and do the whole thing in digitalvideo/audio with a needle sticking out of your arm... That might be good for a laugh.

Your statements are the funniest thing about drugs I've heard since I read about the person Stevie Nicks used to hire to blow toot up her rectum with a little pipe. Good times!

Down And Out In A Room In Baltimore

I was born on the wrong side of the trash

Let's get out of here and never go back

I grew up in Washington DC

My baby brother was shot in front of me

Down and out in a room In Baltimore

A pack of cigarettes and a battered Les Paul

That's the last time I saw

My little Ma

Walking home past Julie's pool hall

Pops comes running, says your sister's on the phone

My little Ma.

You might find, deep inside

Heavy metal mangles minds.

don't worry about trivial healthy things like weed or an occaiosaional drink . 

i never do, ha,

as for junkie heros, don't forget phil lynot, & 70's aerosmith.

Teenage Heroin Homesick Blues

Tears are crawlin' down my cheeks

Rats are crawling down the street

The lamplight has so much to give

By the dumpster where I live.

Tell my ma and pa the news

Teenage Heroin Homesick Blues.

I have bugs living in my head

I had a pillow and a bed

There's a killer on the street.

Killing prostitutes like me.

I gotta believe that everyone on this board has at least smoked dope. 

If you could do heroin in moderation, it wouldn't be all that harmful :)

Wrong. I'm a very liberal guy, but I'm completely puritanical when it comes to drugs. No alcohol, tobacco, weed, coffee, etc...

Also, Charlie Parker might have been a great saxophonist (I'm far to uneducated when it comes to jazz to say), but I don't think Clapton, Page, Richards, or Johnny Thunders are great guitarists (flame suite on :)). I guess I'm too much of a child of the 80's?

-Austin

Members of HFC!

Drugs are a stupid and tragic mistake.Think about all the creative musicians

who would still be alive and making people smile.Jimi Hendrix,Bird, Mike Bloom-

field,Jessie Ed Davis,Bonham,Bon Scott,etc.The list goes on and on.I have never

indulged in drugs,never even smoked pot.They are an emotional crutch.I like to

think that i am stronger than a pack of cigarettes,bottle of booze,a joint,etc.

Just my two cents worth.

Salem - no offense, but what PLANET are you from? Good thing that heroin is cool and all, because lord knows you wouldn't defile yourself with a cigarette, right?

salem Posted: Apr 15 2005, 08:08 PM 

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but the cigarette smoke in bars is lethal, it will kill you. Nothing is worth doing that to your lungs. I'm afraid that playing music there would be hazardous to your health. 

:)

Tears are crawlin' down my cheeks

Rats are crawling down the street

The lamplight has so much to give

By the dumpster where I live.

I have bugs living in my head

I had a pillow and a bed

There's a killer on the street.

Killing prostitutes like me.

Oy vey.

Down And Out In A Room In Baltimore

I was born on the wrong side of the trash

Let's get out of here and never go back

I grew up in Washington DC

My baby brother was shot in front of me

Down and out in a room In Baltimore

A pack of cigarettes and a battered Les Paul

My little Ma

Walking home past Julie's pool hall

Pops comes running, says your sister's on the phone

My little Ma.

You might find, deep inside

Heavy metal mangles minds.

Aye aye aye... :):)

Guest Mike Lee

Bayer, the "wonderdrug"?

Bayer-heroin.jpg

More examples:

1902heroinAD.jpg

I took a Sociology class in college and we studied drugs and drug abuse for a few weeks. Supposedly, heroin and other opiates in their pure forms don't damage your body that much as long as you can avoid overdose. They don't destroy your liver like alcohol does, or your heart like cocaine does.

The problem with opiates are the impurities they are diluted with, and the culture that surrounds obtaining and using them. Most problematic is the high cost which leads to financial ruin and crime. People who are rich enough to afford realively pure opiates without financial problems can take them for many years or even decades. Of course, after a time the high goes away and they are taking only "maintenance" doses, chasing the high forever will lead to eventual overdose. But the "maintenance" doses can go on for a very long time. Think about it, some of the those famous 60's heroin uses who survived might still be taking it...

The 80's played a cruel joke on kids of the 90's. The popularity of cocaine in the 80's drove heroin prices down while purity went up. When heroin came back in the 90's, it was glamourized with claims that you only get addicted if you shoot it, not if you snort, eat, or smoke it. Then soon found out that was a lie.

Hey guys.....take it easy on Salem!

I mean...what good are lyrics without some music behind them, right?

Hey Salem, hum a few bars....we'll all join in!

Gimme a bouncy C........ :)

Emily Remler died from a heroin overdose at about the time I discovered her music.

What I have noticed about drug addicts is a selfish nature aside from the drug use. By the time the drugs have taken over someone, that person has likely alienated his/her friends already. So, how can you really make good music as a band if you are unable to get along? We may see the drug influence on music as positive during the "feel good" time, but once the guys are fried the music turns to crap. In the liner notes of Motley Crue's Theater Of Pain they acknowledge the poor performance on that album can be attributed to being messed up.

Glamour personified. Robbin Crosby at the end.

Lemme guess, Salem is writing a term paper on the effects of silly posts on messageboards. :)

Archived