Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Examples of Crappy Distorted Guitar Tone

Hoobastank, if they'd just back the gain off a little it would be a nice tone but it just sounds like the speakers gonna explode where he's got the gain/volume on the last album. I think thats what drives me nuts about it is I can hear in my head what it should sound like and he's just got too much cowbell! err...gain.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like John Scofield's musicality and melodic improvisation, but I don't like his distorted sound at all.

Brooks? Enlighten me.

hmmm.

i don't like most of his tones before 1998's "a go go", but on that album he threw out the chorus pedal and switched to mesa boogies, big improvement. everything he's done since i like, but i wouldn't put him in my short list of best tone. short list of fave players, absolutely.

Also, Iommi used a Pignose (you know, the little batt. powered one) to record Sabotage. If you listen to the last half of "Megalomania" that's the battery on the amp losing juice. Quite true! He used the Pignose on the entire album. He also used a Strat a lot while recording Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. If you listen close you can tell the difference between the Strat and the SG. He used the SG on "Killing yourself to live" and the Strat on "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath".

huh, where'd you hear that? damn, i used to have his techs email addy...

i asked his tech last year about his equipment history, and he (mike clement) emailed back that he might put one together on the iommi.com site (i just went there & saw the "gear" section is still "under construction")

i'm sure its possible that he used a strat or different amp on some stuff, but everything i've ever read said it was all sg's & laneys (except 2 tunes on the 1st album)... that shitty raspy tone can also be heard on the live "never say die" DVD; i doubt he had a pignose mic'd up behind that wall o' laneys :unsure:

...and the "marshall guts inside a laney head" thing sounds like science fiction to me (i mean no offence, but c'mon).

Also, Iommi used a Pignose (you know, the little batt. powered one) to record Sabotage. If you listen to the last half of "Megalomania" that's the battery on the amp losing juice. Quite true! He used the Pignose on the entire album. He also used a Strat a lot while recording Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. If you listen close you can tell the difference between the Strat and the SG. He used the SG on "Killing yourself to live" and the Strat on "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath".

huh, where'd you hear that? damn, i used to have his techs email addy...

i asked his tech last year about his equipment history, and he (mike clement) emailed back that he might put one together on the iommi.com site (i just went there & saw the "gear" section is still "under construction")

i'm sure its possible that he used a strat or different amp on some stuff, but everything i've ever read said it was all sg's & laneys (except 2 tunes on the 1st album)... that shitty raspy tone can also be heard on the live "never say die" DVD; i doubt he had a pignose mic'd up behind that wall o' laneys :unsure:

...and the "marshall guts inside a laney head" thing sounds like science fiction to me (i mean no offence, but c'mon).

A close friend of mine was in Miami with Sabbath when they were recording Technical Ecstasy at Criteria Studios in 1976. The info I have about SBS and Sabotage is what Iommi told my friend. Also, my friend looked inside the Laneys and was very surprised at what he saw. That was not the inside of a reg. Laney Clipp amp. Iommi was not at liberty to discuss anything different about his amps because of an agreement with Laney. Laneys back then did not sound like the Laneys of today. They've come a long way. Also, a childhood friend of mine played drums on Iommi's first solo album and did a few tours opening for Sabbath. So I was able to meet him a few times. That crappy sound on the Never Say Die dvd may be the recording or the fact that Iommi's sound was a bit on the "trebley" side because he relied heavily on an old rangemaster that he loved to use, though I think at the time of the Never Say Die tour (1978) he was probably using one made for him by Pete Cornish. Iommi never used a Pignose live. I'm a huge Iommi fan and I've done some homework!

I'm a huge Iommi fan and I've done some homework!

i stand corrected! sorry i doubted you, but ya gotta admit the "marshall inside the laney box" does sound made up, people do say a lot of shit. that's so cool about your buddy working at criteria and meeting iommi!

sabs is my fave band, i'm a huge fan (at least of the orig lineup).

check out "how black was our sabbath", written by roadies graham wright & david tange, best book i've read on them yet.

Mike Oldfield on Tubular Bells. As much as I love that album, it sounds like he plugged direct into the board. I can't think of a worse recipe for bad tone - guitar to 70s vintage transistor distortion stompbox to mixing board.

I'm a huge Iommi fan and I've done some homework!

i stand corrected! sorry i doubted you, but ya gotta admit the "marshall inside the laney box" does sound made up, people do say a lot of shit. that's so cool about your buddy working at criteria and meeting iommi!

sabs is my fave band, i'm a huge fan (at least of the orig lineup).

check out "how black was our sabbath", written by roadies graham wright & david tange, best book i've read on them yet.

Hey Brooks, It's totally true dude! No shit here! His Laneys were, ahem..."doctored" a little bit! If you ever play through one of those old Laneys you'll see what I mean! I bought one around '78 and immediately got rid of it and bought a Marshall JMP. My friend said to me "You're not going to sound like Iommi", and he was right! I never got to see early Sabbath live but I did get to see them on the "Never Say Die" tour in '78. It was at MSG and Van Halen opened for them. YES, I was blown away by Van Halen! This was at the end of their "Ozzy" days and you could tell they were just "going through the motions" onstage. But my musical tastes always leaned more towards the heavier stuff like Sabbath and Priest over bands like VH. That's why I've always stuck with Sabbath. Hey, check my member page! Have you seen Sabbath within the last couple of tours? Iommi's sound will literally knock you off your feet! It's so freakin' HEAVY! Thank you for the info on the book! I'm still learning how to reed! :unsure: Hey, check out a Don Butler (tone-man.com) Rangemaster. p.s. Very cool shirt!

Ratt and Quiet Riot, Great White-ugh..bad bad bad..

Quiet Riot, ok, Ratt maybe, but Great White having bad tone? NEVAH!

Wow, Clapton, SRV, Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, Van Halen, Jeff Beck, Neil Young, Alex Lifeson all had bad tone?......................who in the world, then, had good tone?

Wow, Clapton, SRV, Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, Van Halen, Jeff Beck, Neil Young, Alex Lifeson all had bad tone?......................who in the world, then, had good tone?

Dave Meniketti!

Ok this should prove unpopular. I love his playing and solo tones, but never cared for Randy Rhodes' rhythm tones. Too fizzy for my taste.

Have you ever seen him live?

http://progger.usask.ca/rr/randy_texas.mpg

Ok this should prove unpopular. I love his playing and solo tones, but never cared for Randy Rhodes' rhythm tones. Too fizzy for my taste.

Heresy :unsure: but +1. The "Diary" record did sound better than "Blizzard", though.

Yes, with Def Lep opening in support of High & Dry. When he played part of Eruption verbatim during his solo section, it was a bit of a letdown. I cried the day RR died, but I never felt he was in the same galaxy as EVH. YMMV.

Heresy :unsure: but +1. The "Diary" record did sound better than "Blizzard", though.

Yes, with Def Lep opening in support of High & Dry. When he played part of Eruption verbatim during his solo section, it was a bit of a letdown. I cried the day RR died, but I never felt he was in the same galaxy as EVH. YMMV.

Saw him on the first Ozzy tour with Motorhead opening in May of '81.

Did you know that Blizzard and Diary were recorded at the same time? Diary was mixed a year later. That's why Ozzy was able to tour continuously back then without having to stop to record an album. It was allready done!

QUOTE]

Have you seen Sabbath within the last couple of tours? Iommi's sound will literally knock you off your feet! It's so freakin' HEAVY! Hey, check out a Don Butler (tone-man.com) Rangemaster. p.s. Very cool shirt!

yeah, saw this years ozzfest, & a few years ago's ozzfest w/ mike bordin on drums, and the 1st reunion tour, their sound was very good. also, saw 'em w/ dio ~81 (side 3 of "live evil" was recorded at that show in dallas), and saw 'em w/ ian gillian on the "born again" tour (which also was very good, they did "smoke on the water" as an encore!).

i just got a lockhardt tone wizard, which is a geranium boost like the rangemaster.

QUOTE]

Have you seen Sabbath within the last couple of tours? Iommi's sound will literally knock you off your feet! It's so freakin' HEAVY!    Hey, check out a Don Butler (tone-man.com) Rangemaster.  p.s. Very cool shirt!

yeah, saw this years ozzfest, & a few years ago's ozzfest w/ mike bordin on drums, and the 1st reunion tour, their sound was very good. also, saw 'em w/ dio ~81 (side 3 of "live evil" was recorded at that show in dallas), and saw 'em w/ ian gillian on the "born again" tour (which also was very good, they did "smoke on the water" as an encore!).

i just got a lockhardt tone wizard, which is a geranium boost like the rangemaster.

Hey Brooks, That's a cool pedal! What do you think of it? I haven't really experimented with the Lockhardt pedal but I know that treble boosters vary from co. to co. Some can make your sound "darker". I got a couple different ones but I'm sold on Don Butler. You could tell him what you want and he'll make it for you. I was very surprised. I have one of his early ones that is an exact copy of the old Rangemaster that is not a "pedal" but a box that sits on top of your amp. With that one I can get real close to that Brian May tone. The pedal one I have is closer to the Iommi tone. Of course the amp you're going through makes all the difference.

Mike Bordin is a great drummer. I like the stuff he did with Faith No More. My fav. drummer growing up was Cozy Powell. Did you check out the Randy sound check video? It's only about a minute long. Saw Sabbath with Dio on the Heaven and Hell tour. I think they did that tour with Blue Oyster Cult. It's been so long! They called it the Black and Blue Tour. They did Smoke on the Water with Gillian? I'd love to see that! Was ELO drummer Bev Bevan on that tour or was it Vinny Appice?

Archived