Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I can see not wanting to meet strangers at your home, or theirs. I never do CL deals at my home, always a public place. But a local bank? That should be a no-brainer. You guys should hit up Brentrocks about him, Brent bought korina #67 that I now own from this seller, at least that's what the seller said when he contacted me yesterday about my owning it now.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, my son's a San Diego county sheriff whose station is adjacent to the seller's city. The seller could drive to the station - - in far much less time than it would take to pack - - and do the deal inside the station. How much safer could that be and also avoid the hassle of a damage claim and irreparable damage to a fine piece. And a cash transaction where the Paypal fee is going to be over $200. I'm out.

Cynic-why don't you offer to pay him by paypal first and then pick up the guitar once funds are clear. You would be protected by Paypal, and the seller would be sure that you aren't going to meet him and knock him over the head or rob him at gunpoint. Then the seller gives you a receipt that you both sign so you can't file a claim with paypal that it hasn't been shipped. I've done those deals twice before, once as a buyer and once as a seller.

Cynic-why don't you offer to pay him by paypal first and then pick up the guitar once funds are clear. You would be protected by Paypal, and the seller would be sure that you aren't going to meet him and knock him over the head or rob him at gunpoint. Then the seller gives you a receipt that you both sign so you can't file a claim with paypal that it hasn't been shipped. I've done those deals twice before, once as a buyer and once as a seller.

For some reason he also wants to charge tax for locals, but he may change his mind tomorrow :)

Look, my son's a San Diego county sheriff...

Both my uncle and brother are retired from SD Sheriff.

I can see not wanting to meet strangers at your home, or theirs. I never do CL deals at my home, always a public place. But a local bank? That should be a no-brainer. You guys should hit up Brentrocks about him, Brent bought korina #67 that I now own from this seller, at least that's what the seller said when he contacted me yesterday about my owning it now.

Isn't that the one that was on San Diego craigslist for months before being listed on ebay? That would seem odd for someone so opposed to local sales.

^^ not sure about that. he just emailed me yesterday and told me he was the owner before Brent. He thought it was odd that I would have it when he just sold it to someone in MI. I think he was kind of suspicious himself since I reused the same pics.

Still a bargain basement price for a Standard this early!

Still a bargain basement price for a Standard this early!

I don't think it'll stay so low for too long.

I'd be in there if the seller would ship it to me here in the U.K. but would need some local assistance.

Actually he seems to be making it very difficult for anyone to actually get it.

I would also be a bit worried about parting with this amount of moolah for a guitar that he isn't prepared to let you play before buying.

I would also be a bit worried about parting with this amount of moolah for a guitar that he isn't prepared to let you play before buying.

I feel the same way. I've backed out of the race before even placing a bid for this reason alone. He'll still make money on it, but I can't stomach giving someone so close that amount without being given the courtesy of playing it. On the plus side, I won't have to convince myself I'm not bothered by the shape.

Anyone else here seriously interested in this?

I am but am completely mystified by the attitude of the seller who expects a potential purchaser to buy the guitar without being able to examine it first.

I've been trying to get round the sellers "you can't see it or inspect it before I ship it and only inside the U.S." deal by asking if He will take it into Guitar Center in La Mesa for them to inspect and make sure it's Kosher then while he's in there I would do the Paypal thing then He leaves it with them and I buy a heavy duty flightcase from them and pay them to ship it and the original case onwards to me in the U.K. plus some extra for their trouble.

Still waiting for a reply from the seller or Guitar Centre.

I know one of you must have some experience with G.C. do you think they'll do this ?

I've been trying to get round the sellers "you can't see it or inspect it before I ship it and only inside the U.S." deal by asking if He will take it into Guitar Center in La Mesa for them to inspect and make sure it's Kosher then while he's in there I would do the Paypal thing then He leaves it with them and I buy a heavy duty flightcase from them and pay them to ship it and the original case onwards to me in the U.K. plus some extra for their trouble.

Still waiting for a reply from the seller or Guitar Centre.

My guess is that he's not willing to let anyone see it or inspect it before he ships, including a few Guitar Center schmoes.

And why is it that no one on eBay takes U.S. sellers at their word when they say they'll only ship domestically? Had you been Australian, you'd be setting yourself up for a "go sit on a didgeridoo" reply.

Why would Guitar Center volunteer to ship a guitar that they are not making a profit from? I can't see it...

Unless the seller consigned it (which he won't do), that would be more of a pain for them to handle than anything else.

I am but am completely mystified by the attitude of the seller who expects a potential purchaser to buy the guitar without being able to examine it first.

This is the only statement that matters to me. I hope whoever ends up with it gets a great deal it enjoys it, but I won't play that silly game of fuck-fuck with that much money involved.

This is the only statement that matters to me. I hope whoever ends up with it gets a great deal it enjoys it, but I won't play that silly game of fuck-fuck with that much money involved.

Sounds like you'd get more respect and cooperation from someone selling a guitar for tree fitty than THIS guy...and that's when alarm bells should start ringing. You pays yer money, you takes yer chances, I wouldn't get lured in by promises and pretty pictures alone, even if I had the cash.

All this guy has sold for the last 4 Years has been $10.00 Guitar Pricks..........

sorry, I meant picks.......

yet he's expecting potential buyers to take His word that a $4000.00+ guitar is in good condition or that he even has it in His possession, I'm starting to think the only reason he's insisting on posting it is because it's damaged goods and He want to make an insurance claim through the carriers.

He must realise that He's severely limiting the pool of potential purchasers and the end price.

I've been looking for an early Standard for years and hate being denied the chance to even put a bid in.

As for not posting it out of the U.S. whats all that about ? I don't see why it makes any difference apart from the cost which the buyer would be putting up anyway and some extra risk (with more chance of it getting damaged which is just as likely in the first van it gets dumped in) which again the seller would have to be prepared to take, any import duties are the buyers responsibility too.

Anyone here got a 77 they want to part with ??

I can't say I disagree with the seller completely. Some people use eBay to avoid dealing with people-whether it's to avoid being ripped off, paranoia or simply because they don't want to be bothered. I had a guy go ballistic on me because I woukdnt agree to meet him a 1/2 hour drive away. "It'll be cheaper and it won't get broken?!". Ummm-cheaper for YOU maybe dude. I'm busier than shit between my day job, teaching college courses, playing in two bands and gigging 4-5 times a month while still trying to make it to kids' sporting events, etc. it's very often easier and less of a hassle for me to drop by UPS (which can be tough to schedule in itself). I literally DO NOT have the free time to drive 30 mins to drop a guitar off.

I also wouldn't assume anything is wrong with the guitar. PayPal will cover any issues if the guitar is F'd up. I've owned more than a dozen four digit Standards and never got to play a single one first.

If someone really wants an early Standard-good luck getting another shot at one.

Archived