Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I've owned more than a dozen four digit Standards and never got to play a single one first.

Liar.

I sold/traded you two of those.

:D

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've owned more than a dozen four digit Standards and never got to play a single one first.

Liar.

I sold/traded you two of those.

:D

Yes sir, you are correct.

I can't say I disagree with the seller completely. Some people use eBay to avoid dealing with people-whether it's to avoid being ripped off, paranoia or simply because they don't want to be bothered. I had a guy go ballistic on me because I woukdnt agree to meet him a 1/2 hour drive away. "It'll be cheaper and it won't get broken?!". Ummm-cheaper for YOU maybe dude. I'm busier than shit between my day job, teaching college courses, playing in two bands and gigging 4-5 times a month while still trying to make it to kids' sporting events, etc. it's very often easier and less of a hassle for me to drop by UPS (which can be tough to schedule in itself). I literally DO NOT have the free time to drive 30 mins to drop a guitar off.

I know what you're saying and I also work my tits off for a living, time is a precious commodity for us all and in the case of someone having a hissy fit about driving 30 Minutes to pick up a guitar I completely agree with you, if they were buying from you and wanted to pick something up then they should have been prepared to go all the way to the pick up point.

I also wouldn't assume anything is wrong with the guitar. PayPal will cover any issues if the guitar is F'd up.

Maybe paypal would, but it's a great way to dump a damaged guitar and still get paid out for it's full value.

It wouldn't be the first time this has happened, I usually ask for a picture of the guitar with todays paper for proof it is actually in one piece if I'm buying long distance.

If someone really wants an early Standard-good luck getting another shot at one.

Exactly why I'm so cheesed off at not getting a shot at this one.

He'll probably pull it at the last moment anyway.

Could you have it sent to another HFCer in the US? I'm sure that someone could accept that and happily ship it to you. Of course, you'd have to verify the address or something like that with Paypal though...

Someone in the U.S. would have to do the bidding on my behalf (which is a big responsibility and they would have to be happy that I would pay, which I would) as He will not accept international bids.

On Apr-09-12 at 16:38:52 PDT, seller added the following information:

Once again, U.S. bids only, confirmed Paypal address in the U.S. and NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING! Thanks.

Plus if it all went horribly wrong it could be a lot more grief than it's worth for both of those involved.

It would be fine if the guy would let someone look at it and confirm what it is prior to shipping.

Getting to the point now that I can't decide if I would rather not have the guitar than let this toss pot have my hard earned.

All this guy has sold for the last 4 Years has been $10.00 Guitar Pricks.........

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this seller contacted me asking how I came to own korina standard #67/100 because he had recently sold it to Brentrocks. Has anyone hit Brent up to see about that experience?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this seller contacted me asking how I came to own korina standard #67/100 because he had recently sold it to Brentrocks. Has anyone hit Brent up to see about that experience?

I'm sure his input would be appreciated, but I assume that transaction lacked any potential for local contact so I'm not sure how relevant it is to many of the concerns being expressed. It might also be tough for Brent to remember the transaction given it was several months ago and he's probably had another sixty guitars come and go in that time :D

It might also be tough for Brent to remember the transaction given it was several months ago and he's probably had another sixty guitars come and go in that time :D

ohsnap.jpg

I'm sure his input would be appreciated, but I assume that transaction lacked any potential for local contact so I'm not sure how relevant it is to many of the concerns being expressed.

Should still be relevant in that he relied on the guy to come through and ship an expensive Hamer to him, which he apparently did. If it was a smooth transaction, that might help. I agree the refusal to meet in person is reason for concern, but he's not a 0 feedback seller, appears to have already sold/shipped an expensive Hamer to a known reputable member here, and sometimes people are just shut-ins or anti-social by nature, it doesn't mean he's a thief scamming people.

He's getting at least $4300 as of now despite all the bitching here, which I'm sure he could care less about. Either play to win it or stop complaining. Every eBay or online purchase involves some risk as far as I'm concerned and if one wants a 4 digit that bad, seems to me this one gives that person a chance.

^^^

Exactly. And if you go into an internet deal with reservations about the seller and/or his terms and the deal goes wrong, you have only yourself to blame. Then again, the deal could go right, too.

The only thing that scores a 4-digit from a difficult seller on eBay (aside from a fair amount of cash) is BALLCE. You got any?

Guys, sorry to be a moaning ba$tard,

I understand the risks but the sellers restrictions make it very difficult to be sure that the guitar is actually as described and irritating to those of us who will not be able to make bids on it.

I have no problems taking a risk with a guitar thats reasonably priced but this will be a very expensive purchase and as a potential purchaser I have to be at least as cautious as the seller seems to be.

I'll shut up now unless anyone else has an early 4 digit for sale?

Either play to win it or stop complaining. Every eBay or online purchase involves some risk as far as I'm concerned and if one wants a 4 digit that bad, seems to me this one gives that person a chance.

In an attempt to stop the complaining, you complain? :blink:

For the people interested in the guitar this information is worth discussing. Of course there's risk, but with my proximity (within 10 miles of seller location) much of it could be mitigated with the smallest effort on the sellers part. No, he doesn't have to, and of course he's going to get good money for the guitar whether he agrees to let someone local see the guitar or not, but I'm telling this story from my perspective, not his.

It'll be interesting to see the after-sales feedback...

Guys, sorry to be a moaning ba$tard,

I understand the risks but the sellers restrictions make it very difficult to be sure that the guitar is actually as described and irritating to those of us who will not be able to make bids on it.

I have no problems taking a risk with a guitar thats reasonably priced but this will be a very expensive purchase and as a potential purchaser I have to be at least as cautious as the seller seems to be.

Then you'd be out of luck anyway if the seller happened to be anywhere in the US. The fact that he's local and won't meet is irritating, but all the things you described above tells me you'd have heartache buying expensive guitars on the internet anyway, regardless of this seller's terms.

I guess we'll see wha happens in a few days...........

Either play to win it or stop complaining. Every eBay or online purchase involves some risk as far as I'm concerned and if one wants a 4 digit that bad, seems to me this one gives that person a chance.

In an attempt to stop the complaining, you complain? :blink:

Point taken. I shouldn't have said people should stop complaining -- I should've said: either accept the seller's terms and bid to win, or keep bitching to no avail. :)

Wow. Did not see THAT coming.

(oh wait...I totally did!)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived