Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Which Mirage do people prefer?

I love the humbucker version. I've never layer the single coil version, but I've been trying to snag one for a while.

Which brings up a point: the single coil version commands a much higher price than the 'bucker version. Sometimes twice as much.

What gives here?

The maple-topped bucker version, by a mile, especially if you throw on a different bridge and a single coil in the middle (pickup routing courtesy of Murkat). I've had a handful of Mirage I's and never bonded with them. 100_4392.jpg - Austin

I prefer the Mirage II to the Mirage I that should really be the question. Or Maple vs Koa. Mirage II with a Koa Top for me, I get humbuckers, tone is closer to an all Mahogany Guitar which I prefer but with a top you could die for.

I like the single coil model better. I think the blended neck heel may account for the price difference. Ive had both and they felt exactly the same to me at the neck joint lol. I guess its my technique. Pretty much flawless

I like the Mirage that doesn't exist. Like a true mirage.

I think that's one of Hamer's fugliest designs. Oddly enough, I'm writing a segment on them as I post this.

HAD both. Decided (then) that 25.5 scale was not for me.The 2 seemed less unique (in context of a Les Paul, a Studio, etc) and was more easily cut loose. The 1 was cool, different, koa....Not a "strat", certainly not a "paul". I did not play it enough, so it got outplaced.

IF I had choice, I would take the first version.

The one with three single coils, or the one with dual humbuckers? Which one is more versatile/has better tone options?

The three "single coils" aren't actually single coils. I believe they are a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge and Vintage Rails in the middle and neck. They sound…well…ok…but just ok. I’m thinking of trying either a Seymour Duncan Everything Axe set (a JB Jr. in the bridge, Duckbucker in the middle, and Little ’59 in the neck) or a set of Vintage Vibe single coil size P90s.

I like the single coil model better. I think the blended neck heel may account for the price difference. Ive had both and they felt exactly the same to me at the neck joint lol. I guess its my technique. Pretty much flawless

I love the blended heel on the Mirage I. Can’t for the life of me understand why they got rid of it on the Mirage II and Mirage Maple Top. I’ve been seriously tempted to have my other two contoured to match the Mirage I.

I have no issue with the Wilkie either. Put me down as preferring the II, as I'm a humbucker guy in general. I can also see how Mirages could be considered ugly; the horns are a little funky, but the Strat-style configuration results in a better balance for me than a Sunburst or Special. At least they don't have the club-foot lower horn of an Eclipse.

monacomirage002.jpg

The Mirage I was clearly Hamer's answer to the PRS craze at the time with the set-neck, longer scale length, non-locking tremelo, shallow headstock angle, and locking tuners. And in typical Hamer style they took it a step further with the Tom Anderson inspired electronics (3 pups & super groovy blower switch), a super slick (and $$) scalloped neck joint, and topped it all off with beautiful looking and sounding koa.

One of my top 3 favorite and most functional/useful Hamer models ever.

It's Mirage I for me, with the neck joint as the main reason. Koa, mahogany and overall esthetic are cool, too. I like the asymmetrical shape, with the "waist" higher on the left side...

Now, if MCChris' II had the same neck joint, that'd be incredible.

That's the only II I've ever stared at for long periods of time, with more than a mere twinge of GAS. :rolleyes:

It's Mirage I for me, with the neck joint as the main reason. Koa, mahogany and overall esthetic are cool, too. I like the asymmetrical shape, with the "waist" higher on the left side...

That's the only II I've ever stared at for long periods of time, with more than a mere twinge of GAS. :rolleyes:

You sure it's not because of the slight blurriness in the middle caused by a stain on the lens? <_<

You sure it's not because of the slight blurriness in the middle caused by a stain on the lens? <_<

A nice sort of glamor technique, but no. The figure of that maple is like very little I've ever seen. Quite a stunner!

A nice sort of glamor technique, but no. The figure of that maple is like very little I've ever seen. Quite a stunner!

Yeah, I lucked out with this one. Switched to black pickup rings and knobs (a la a Koa Mirage II) and that seems to bring out the darker shades of the flame.

Yeah, I lucked out with this one. Switched to black pickup rings and knobs (a la a Koa Mirage II) and that seems to bring out the darker shades of the flame.

Ah. Glad I didn't talk about how much I like(d) the cream-colored rings and amber knobs! :P It DID lend a nice, alt-Paul kinda look. Still, I'd love to see new pic's, if that's no trouble.

BTW, I wonder how reddish, wooden rings would look... Cocobolo?

Troublemaker? :D

The maple-topped bucker version, by a mile, especially if you throw on a different bridge and a single coil in the middle (pickup routing courtesy of Murkat). I've had a handful of Mirage I's and never bonded with them. 100_4392.jpg - Austin

Wow, Austin and Murkat....nice conversion! What replacement bridge is that?

Ah. Glad I didn't talk about how much I like(d) the cream-colored rings and amber knobs! :P It DID lend a nice, alt-Paul kinda look. Still, I'd love to see new pic's, if that's no trouble.

hamer-mirage-II.jpg

i like the mirage 1 because the 1st few times i met/sat in w/ HHB thats what he had.

it seems like it has all the good things that makes a strat (25.5", 3 singles, trem)

but on an upgraded guitar (neck thru, no pickguard, blingy koa).

the mirage 2 is cool but ventures too close to PRS for me.

Archived