Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sound Comparison for Your Ears! - HAMER DIABLO VS IBANEZ JEM 7

Video comparing an Hamer Diablo 2 vs a Ibanez JEM 7.

Any comments on the which sounds the best?

To me one sounds much better than the other, but to many it may not be as extreme, or they may like the other.

I'd like to think I can be objective and unbiased but can anyone truly be so? That being said, I think the Diablo2 sounded fuller and had a more pleasing tone to my ear. Your mileage may vary...

I'd like to think I can be objective and unbiased but can anyone truly be so? That being said, I think the Diablo2 sounded fuller and had a more pleasing tone to my ear. Your mileage may vary...

I think most can, and most probably have a few brands. As it is somewhat subjective, the odds are most here will pick the Hamer because that's the sound they like.

YouTube site it was unanimously Hamer. Comparison's like this further justifies the price of Hamer's and the reputation it has for me. I want a Diablo in the near future. It's less defined but more attractive sounding to me, more umph. You could probably shape the sound of the Diablo 2 to emulate all you favorite Metal guitarists. The Ibanez has a tubular sound you can't easily shake imo. But many like that Vai,Satriani sound.

Thought it was a good video.

Didn't watch the video, just listened to it once -as I'm at job right now. I liked better the sound of the second guitar. It's fuller, has more dynamics and more "focus"... So, whatever it was, I think I prefer it.

Have I (or my ears) betrayed Hamer?

Didn't watch the video, just listened to it once -as I'm at job right now. I liked better the sound of the second guitar. It's fuller, has more dynamics and more "focus"... So, whatever it was, I think I prefer it.

Well it is a well though off guitar for sure. Maybe other Hamer's would fair better with you.

I had a basswood Jem. 2001 BFP (blue floral pattern). I hated it. Hated it. Felt cheap. Tone was thin - as in real thin. If you did not process the hell out of it it sounded like shit.

I tried different pick ups. Could not wait to get rid of it.

I have only heard one Ibanez super strat that I liked the tone of. One. Even the blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Those Ibanez superstrats sound best when highly processed IMO.

Ever hear Vai's guitar when he is playing totally clean - which is not very often - THIN and LIFELESS.

The Diablo kicked its ass. Sounds like what the JEM dreams of sounding like. :D What are you running for effects ?

I have only heard one Ibanez super strat that I liked the tone of. One. Even the blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

lol !

Ever hear Vai's guitar when he is playing totally clean - which is not very often - THIN and LIFELESS.

The I'm Superior smirk, thin and tubular sounding guitar other than over processed trick squeals and shrills. Very contrived and restrained. Vai is a great great player, but is the polar opposite of what I like.

First of all - great playing.

I prefered the Hamer, but the Jem has a certain sound to it. Sometimes i like it, sometimes not. The sound at 7:40 sounds brittle to me. But the clip before that sounded shredalisious. (though i still like the Hamer more - something more behind it...)

Thanks for posting this. I love these...

I had a bandmate with a Jem...he loved it 'til I got my Centaura, lol.

He shoulda played a few licks CLEAN and DRY......I wonder if he can.

edit- DAYUM...I'm a snob(asshole), he he.

The Hamer kicked ass......much fatter, not even close.

You can dial out extra chunk if you gotta(but why?).......you can't dial in what's not there in the first place tho.

Hmmm... if they had the same pickups, I would like the comparison better.

I think we were listening to the better pickup in the Diablo and the worst pickup in the Jem.

The fact that the exact model of the JEM was not disclosed means that it could be PAF Pro, Evolution or Breed.

If the Diablo had a Tone Zone and the JEM any of those pickups above... we are simply liking the TZ's heavier mids and higher gain.

I think we were listening to the better pickup in the Diablo and the worst pickup in the Jem.

The fact that the exact model of the JEM was not disclosed means that it could be PAF Pro, Evolution or Breed.

If the Diablo had a Tone Zone and the JEM any of those pickups above... we are simply liking the TZ's heavier mids and higher gain.

Good point and one I considered as well. However, it is a valid comparison of two stock guitars. Fact is, Ibby p'ups have never been widely renown for their superior sound qualities. No doubt some out there like 'em. But a guitar is the sum of it's parts and frankly, the JEM is left wanting imo. That being said, I have a project JEM 555 I upgraded w/ a custom made neck, the Edge Pro and Dimazio Evo2 and Breed. The body is made of basswood and is the weak link imo. Tonally, it sounds thinner than my Hamers and am seriously considering getting a an alder or mahogany replacement body and custom painting it. Sadly, there would be NOTHING left of the original JEM at that point. :lol:

DSCF1097.jpg

Well it is a well though off guitar for sure. Maybe other Hamer's would fair better with you.

OK, here's what happened: I thought "the second guitar" started after 2:30, as there's a pause. Wasn't watching it, so after a couple of more minutes I just said "this is it, I have a winner" and closed the web browser. This means I never got hear the Ibanez. :)

Now I'm at home and watched the video until the end. The sound of the Ibanez sucks. The Diablo wins BIG time.

OK, here's what happened: I thought "the second guitar" started after 2:30, as there's a pause. Wasn't watching it, so after a couple of more minutes I just said "this is it, I have a winner" and closed the web browser. This means I never got hear the Ibanez. :)

Now I'm at home and watched the video until the end. The sound of the Ibanez sucks. The Diablo wins BIG time.

I would do the same, I guess he just wanted to change camera angles.

I like versatile guitars that are thick but can be shaped and don't have an after taste. Just raw, thick and pleasing.

Just wanted to add the advertisement of the Diablo's from 96.

It's difficult to read but the Alder bodied, Maple Neck with Rosewood Fretted Diablo's were priced the same due to equal manufacturing costs. . Both had Dimarzio's - a Norton Lite and a Pro Zone, but the Diablo II had the additional SM2 and 5 way switch. So it looks like playing the neck pickup on the I and II should sound about the same. I am looking to buy one, so either one would do the trick :)

diablo.jpg

Both sound good, but it is the playing that makes them sound good.

The Diablo does sound a little more full. A second comparison of how each guitar works in a mix would be good.

zen's point about comparing the guitars with the same pickups makes sense, too.

Good point and one I considered as well. However, it is a valid comparison of two stock guitars. :lol:

I agree with the prior poster about hearing them in a mix but as far as modifying them for a comparison, maybe 1 out of 500 people change pup's. Just an estimate from looking at used guitars online. Most just buy a stock guitar and keep it the way it is so this video sums it up nicely for them.

I have heard JEMS with all sorts of pickups but the construction of the guitar always comes through to give it that Ibanez sound. I don't particularly like the sound but it's strength is cutting through a mix imo.

I would do the same, I guess he just wanted to change camera angles.

I like versatile guitars that are thick but can be shaped and don't have an after taste. Just raw, thick and pleasing.

Just wanted to add the advertisement of the Diablo's from 96.

It's difficult to read but the Alder bodied, Maple Neck with Rosewood Fretted Diablo's were priced the same due to equal manufacturing costs. . Both had Dimarzio's - a Norton Lite and a Pro Zone, but the Diablo II had the additional SM2 and 5 way switch. So it looks like playing the neck pickup on the I and II should sound about the same. I am looking to buy one, so either one would do the trick :)

diablo.jpg

Well, I'm not too sure about this, but mine actually has a push/pull coil split control on the master volume knob. I did ask Hamer once if it was a standard spec, but they said they weren't too sure (either that, or it wasn't stock. I can't remember the exact details)...

If you ever need an heir, let me know :)

Guitars:

1. '95 Hamer Diablo II USA

2. '95 Hamer Daytona USA

3. '95 Hamer Eclipse USA

4. '06 ESP KH2 Vintage Japan

5. '01 ESP KH2 Japan

6. '07 ESP SV Standard Japan

7. '06 X-Tone PA-1 Korea

8. '08 X-Tone PS-1 Korea

9. Ernie Ball Music Man Luke BFR USA (Tran Black finish with figured maple top)

10. '03 PRS Mark Tremonti USA

11. '06 Fender SRV USA

12. '06 Fender 60th Anniversary Strat USA

13. '06 Fender 60th Anniversary Tele USA

14. '06 Fender ST57-66US Strat Japan

15. Fender Strat (Fender Japan 60s body, Fender Custom Shop USA tremolo, Fender 60s reissue neck USA, Callaham hardware including Fralin single coil set)

16. 90s Grover Jackson Superstrat Japan

17. 80s/90s Tokai Talbo Japan

18. Electa Strat with Filtertron bridge pickup Japan

19. '06 Line 6 Variax 700 Japan

20. '03 Takamine EAN15C Japan

21. '98 Takamine G330S Taiwan

22. 80s Burny Les Paul Japan

23. Late 70s Burny SG Japan

24. 80s Schecter Strategy Telecaster Custom USA

25. Elite Acoustic Electric Guitar Korea

1st off .... Nice playing.

The Hamer had a fuller, fatter sound than the JEM. But the Ibanez wasn't a slouch

by any means.

There's seems to be a significant amount of signal processing, which may play better for the Hamer.

A tweak of some EQ may bring the JEM into a fatter tone, closer to the Hamer.

I assume both were using the same signal path, and the Hamer sounded better, IMHO, than the Ibanez with

the signal settings used.

If you ever need an heir, let me know :)

Guitars:

1. '95 Hamer Diablo II USA

2. '95 Hamer Daytona USA

3. '95 Hamer Eclipse USA

4. '06 ESP KH2 Vintage Japan

5. '01 ESP KH2 Japan

6. '07 ESP SV Standard Japan

7. '06 X-Tone PA-1 Korea

8. '08 X-Tone PS-1 Korea

9. Ernie Ball Music Man Luke BFR USA (Tran Black finish with figured maple top)

10. '03 PRS Mark Tremonti USA

11. '06 Fender SRV USA

12. '06 Fender 60th Anniversary Strat USA

13. '06 Fender 60th Anniversary Tele USA

14. '06 Fender ST57-66US Strat Japan

15. Fender Strat (Fender Japan 60s body, Fender Custom Shop USA tremolo, Fender 60s reissue neck USA, Callaham hardware including Fralin single coil set)

16. 90s Grover Jackson Superstrat Japan

17. 80s/90s Tokai Talbo Japan

18. Electa Strat with Filtertron bridge pickup Japan

19. '06 Line 6 Variax 700 Japan

20. '03 Takamine EAN15C Japan

21. '98 Takamine G330S Taiwan

22. 80s Burny Les Paul Japan

23. Late 70s Burny SG Japan

24. 80s Schecter Strategy Telecaster Custom USA

25. Elite Acoustic Electric Guitar Korea

Heh... :ph34r:

I forgot to edit that. I have another guitar in the collection as of that list. Got an EBMM Luke PDN a.k.a. Luke True Gold. Still nothing compared to many collection cats though... B)

I forgot to edit that. I have another guitar in the collection as of that list. Got an EBMM Luke PDN a.k.a. Luke True Gold. Still nothing compared to many collection cats though... B)

Those are really nice plus some are the best price point axe's. I think I could find any sound I needed from those.

I have been thinking of getting a Tokai Strat Clone. I watched a video of this guy going through all the stops with one of them and it sounded like a typical vintage strat in all of the spectrum clean or with distortion, just the guitar and amp. Not sure if they all sound like that but that one sounded like an early 60's strat to me. On my list.

Those are really nice plus some are the best price point axe's. I think I could find any sound I needed from those.

I have been thinking of getting a Tokai Strat Clone. I watched a video of this guy going through all the stops with one of them and it sounded like a typical vintage strat in all of the spectrum clean or with distortion, just the guitar and amp. Not sure if they all sound like that but that one sounded like an early 60's strat to me. On my list.

A lot of the 80s Japanese guitars are great, copies or not. For some companies, the earliest stuff were a bit hit or miss. It's usually around the mid-early to mid 80s that were great. Even the late 80s were pretty good too...

As for Tokais, I used to own a Tokai LP LS-85GT. Basically a midrange Gold Top Les Paul copy. Traded it with someone who wanted to get rid of his G&L Legacy USA...

Edit: Fucking hell. I lost count of all my guitars, so much so I didn't realise for ages that the G&L is not on my guitar list of ownership... :lol:

Just one come comment. I am still debating what is the best Strat sound I can get for the money, and I am talking about the classic bluesy bright sound. Tokai or G&L maybe? Due to sons tuition I am on a budget, but I want to get a nice single coil strat sounding guitar. I think I could buy a better quality not paying for the Fender name. The Hamer's Strats or Daytona's are too expensive.

I wish I could have my 76 strat back, heavy and all, it could do it all.

For another thread I guess.

Archived