Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sound Comparison for Your Ears! - HAMER DIABLO VS IBANEZ JEM 7

Just one come comment. I am still debating what is the best Strat sound I can get for the money, and I am talking about the classic bluesy bright sound. Tokai or G&L maybe? Due to sons tuition I am on a budget, but I want to get a nice single coil strat sounding guitar. I think I could buy a better quality not paying for the Fender name. The Hamer's Strats or Daytona's are too expensive.

I wish I could have my 76 strat back, heavy and all, it could do it all.

For another thread I guess.

A few too many to list. You can even try those Ibanez Blazers...

I preferred the Diablo; more lively; but I don't know that the comparison is that meaningful since everything about the 2 guitars is different. put a different bridge pickup in the Jem and play it distorted (very limited way to compar the 2 given that they are HSH guitars) and I might like the Jem more.

-

Austin

I preferred the Diablo; more lively; but I don't know that the comparison is that meaningful since everything about the 2 guitars is different. put a different bridge pickup in the Jem and play it distorted (very limited way to compar the 2 given that they are HSH guitars) and I might like the Jem more.

-

Austin

Was your Diablo II USA ever coil splittable???

I agree with the opinions that favor the Diablo. On the other hand, I don't think the difference is really striking. What I'm hearing is the guys amp settings, or effects and his hands. He's got some ability and polish, alright!

I was helping a friend to buy a guitar recently and we were talking about the variables that govern tone in different guitar designs. Kinda range-y conversation. :mellow: He's a guy who's never had a particularly nice amp and has never played through a tube amp, either. In a moment of philosophical over-simplification, I told him I thought the tonal equation is something like 40% guitar and 60% amp.

That's funds permitting, I suppose.

Anyway, we both agreed that a good amp is the other "half" of the instrument.

So that may be the subject of my next vicarious shopping excursion.

-

Austin

I've had 2 Diablo II's and I don't believe either one was coil-splittable; although I believe only the 2nd one was stock.

-

Austin

-

Austin

I've had 2 Diablo II's and I don't believe either one was coil-splittable; although I believe only the 2nd one was stock.

-

Austin

Oh cool. Mine's coil splittable, and the wiring seems stock as well, unless someone actually bothered to rewire everything in the same manner again. Furthermore, I doubt so as I bought it "NOS" from a Hamer dealership... :lol:

The story with mine is that "she" was my first ever electric guitar. I kinda feel bad sometimes. I was told by the friendly salesperson that there was this local musician that tried her out and really dig her. Only problem was he/she couldn't afford her, and kept asking for price reductions, not so much to squeeze the dealership, but he was more like begging the store to sell her to him. I bought her instead... :ph34r:

Yes, I feel a little awkward referring to my guitars as "hers"... :lol:

-

Austin

-

Austin

Oh cool. Mine's coil splittable, and the wiring seems stock as well, unless someone actually bothered to rewire everything in the same manner again. Furthermore, I doubt so as I bought it "NOS" from a Hamer dealership... :lol:

The story with mine is that "she" was my first ever electric guitar. I kinda feel bad sometimes. I was told by the friendly salesperson that there was this local musician that tried her out and really dig her. Only problem was he/she couldn't afford her, and kept asking for price reductions, not so much to squeeze the dealership, but he was more like begging the store to sell her to him. I bought her instead... :ph34r:

If a days ever comes where you want to downgrade or unload a few for another purchase, keep me in mind :).

-

Austin

-

Austin

If a days ever comes where you want to downgrade or unload a few for another purchase, keep me in mind :).

Honestly, I highly doubt that, but I'll keep you posted if I ever unload anything...

My first question is, what pickups are in each? Without that information, the comparo is pretty meaningless as all you are doing is comparing one pickup to another for the most part.

I have a number of Ibanez super strats and they sound amazing, and I use neither high gain nor any effects other than OD. None of them are basswood though, various combos of maple/mahogany, neck throughs, two bolt ons one mahogany body one alder.

If the Diablo is using anything other than basswood it benefits from that, I've never liked basswood. But without keeping all other variables constant, it's hard to draw any conclusions from that.

The other thing I noticed is that the Ibanez part is quieter. 90% of people pick "louder" as "better" in listening tests. If I ignore actual volume of the 2, I really dont hear much tonal difference at all. I've always found that tonal differences in wood etc, become much harder to hear with that much gain, and that was a truck load of gain, way more than I've used in over 20 years.

My first question is, what pickups are in each? Without that information, the comparo is pretty meaningless as all you are doing is comparing one pickup to another for the most part.

I have a number of Ibanez super strats and they sound amazing, and I use neither high gain nor any effects other than OD. None of them are basswood though, various combos of maple/mahogany, neck throughs, two bolt ons one mahogany body one alder.

If the Diablo is using anything other than basswood it benefits from that, I've never liked basswood. But without keeping all other variables constant, it's hard to draw any conclusions from that.

The other thing I noticed is that the Ibanez part is quieter. 90% of people pick "louder" as "better" in listening tests. If I ignore actual volume of the 2, I really dont hear much tonal difference at all. I've always found that tonal differences in wood etc, become much harder to hear with that much gain, and that was a truck load of gain, way more than I've used in over 20 years.

The goal is: Two stock guitars played though the same amp with a little delay. Do you like A or B. 99% of guitar owners buy and keep their guitars stock, why complicate things?. Just like good old consumer Report. No need to go into it not being modified if it isn't, which is the overwhelming norm for guitars.

Edit: The video shows the Diablo II USA and its wood grain, so it's obviously not basswood. Never heard of a Hamer USA or even Korean Hamer being made from Basswood. It's Alder. The Korean Diablo's are Maple.

I've spoken to the video owner. He has said that as far as he knows, the pickups are stock Dimarzios. As for your evaluation, it's really hard to tell if it's mostly just volume difference. That's because Youtube video are relatively highly compressed. That being said, pretty much everyone that has heard both guitars, including me, have agreed that the Diablo II USA is the better sounding guitar...

Archived