Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Need a popular guitar band suggestion

Turdus

Question

Doing some summer outdoor gigs with the Dance Troupe, as sound man. I setup an hour before the show starts, and generally play some Jazz prior to the show. Last week, something got into me, and I played some Michael Jackson. I'm not a fan, but I knew I could get away with it. He appeals to almost everybody, regardless of age, etc.

I'd prefer something more electric guitar oriented, with a danceable beat. Im sure I have a lot of bands that would fit this bill, but most are unkown, and may not appeal. I'm looking for something that would appeal to the teen dance girls, and the dance moms too. I gotta like it too, lol

Is there any such rock band, or do I have to look at the rockin' side of Country? Let me add that I'd like the band to be current.. not Classic Rock.

Suggestions?

obsure covers that have been done,

not electric guitar dance orientated,

but,

for some reason...

Tori Amos came to mind with her wonderfull spin on covers.

don't know why, just ran with it.

Some suggestions:

Lady Gaga's tunes translate well to guitar-driven rocking arrangements.

I've also accompanied my daughter on Miley Cyrus' "The Climb" and another song from her whose title I don't remember. Those contain quite rocking guitar parts too, as well as solos.

Maroon 5 is quite popular too, and their guitarist does play.

Edited to add: Just remembered the title of the other Miley Cyrus song I played with my daughter: "When I Look At You"

Electric guitar oriented bands that have a danceable beat? Hmmm... and they have to be popular too? Hmmm...

Well, I can give you a few suggestions.

Hellogoodbye

Shiny Toy Guns

Foster The People

The Black Keys

Not much there really that is universally popular and guitar oriented, Zorrow already mentioned Maroon 5.

I would compose a mix that contained good dance songs and not worry too much about it having guitar in it.

I will give you a mix right here, not in any specific order:

1). Bangarang - Skrillex

2). Me and You - Nero

3). What You Know - Two Door Cinema Club

4). Holiday - Vampire Weekend

5). Strict Machine - Goldfrapp

6). Lights - Eli Goulding (Bassnectar Remix)

6). As The Rush Comes - Motorcycle

7). The Nth degree - OVERWERK

8). In Your Arms - Hellogoodbye

9). Call It What You Want - Foster The People

10). Finally Moving - Pretty Lights

11). You Wish - Nightmares On Wax - This and the Pretty LIghts song use the same phat jazz guitar sample so it will provide a little continuity to your mix if you place one in the beginning and one at the end.

12). Promises - Nero (Skrillex Remix)

13). Feel It All Around - The Washed Out

14). Le Disko - Shiny Toy Guns

15). Buzzin' - OVERWERK

16). Jaan Pehechaan Ho - Muhammad Rafi

17). Sleepyhead - Passion Pit

That should give you a little over an hour of music.

Maybe Some Florence and the Machine? A lot of the Black Keys have good beats, a lot are pretty slow, but they really groove.

Zen, man, I have a 12 y/o daughter who dances and sings, and who has many friends who also dance and sing. Excluding The Black Keys, all what you listed above is unknown to me. You sure they are popular enough?

Zen, man, I have a 12 y/o daughter who dances and sings, and who has many friends who also dance and sing. Excluding The Black Keys, all what you listed above is unknown to me. You sure they are popular enough?

I don't expect a 12 year old to have much of a feel for what the kids in High School and college are listening to.

Don't forget that I am a professional DJ, I do over a hundred of gigs a year.

I don't expect a 12 year old to have much of a feel for what the kids in High School and college are listening to. Don't forget that I am a professional DJ, I do over a hundred of gigs a year.

You got a point! BTW, didn't want to discredit your post at all, but only tell you about my ignorance. :)

Katy perry songs.....Girls for the most part love her songs

True!

So, maybe the best way to go would be choosing a bunch of popular songs you guys like and arrange them with more intense guitar parts?

For example, there's a Rihanna song that just started playing in my head: "Drink to That". I can easily imagine a guitar-driven accompaniment for that one!

I didn't think he was talking about playing these songs, but rather piping in music from the board...

I didn't think he was talking about playing these songs, but rather piping in music from the board...

ah yes... thanks Steve... you are correct. I understand that the kids, and moms, would probably love to hear Gaga or Perry. But the old Turd-O-Rama is not going to be able to stomach that.

Thought about Queen? Lot's of the Hot Space album would do it as well as the well known from The Game. Certainly guitar oriented.

Robby Williams

Marla Glen

Toto

INXS

Did think about Queen... also INXS, and may end up going that route. May have to pull up "Kick". It's along the lines of what I'm really looking for.... crunchy guitars, dance beat... great vocalist. Are there no newer bands that pull off something like this?

Haha Ben... nice, but the Union is too large in that example. I thought of a flaw in my requirements..... the dance girls are too busy running around worrying about their performance, so what I really need is to entertain the dance moms, and myself, prior to the show. So let's take the teen girls out of the equation, and see what we can come up with.

Danke.

Archived