Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Too old for a "V"?

The older you get you can either look at things as how others see you, or you can see things as what YOU want to do. Be the old guy who makes everyone mad by not listening to anyone else.

If you play rock and roll, then you should do it with that in-your-face attitude that includes playing a "fuck you" shaped guitar that calls attention to itself. If your fingers aren't flying you can still give everyone the flying finger!

All of the above is BS!!!!

YES, you are too old.

I am only 45, however.

You should immediately send that guitar to me and I will play it until I am 48 then pass it on to someone else (who is young enough AND cool enough to play it)

All of the above is BS!!!! YES, you are too old. I am only 45, however. You should immediately send that guitar to me and I will play it until I am 48 then pass it on to someone else (who is young enough AND cool enough to play it)

+1 (I'm 41) :D

You can use the V as a crotch. Just slide it under you arm pit facing down. Vectors are very versatile.

Had the chance to see both Albert King and Lonnie Mack.......Live, on the same stage, but not together. A long time ago, but those Vs left a big impression. I am loving mine (Hamer, not Gibson).......Lets just say I am more than a decade past 48.

I need to make a video and post it in YouTube "why you should play a Vee". These are the points that will be in my script:

1- The V can be placed to rest against a wall and it doesn't fall. Try to do that with any other shape!

2- Access to the higher frets is way easier on a V. Try to do the "BB King butterfly vibrato" on fret 22 with any other shape!

3- Stability: wanna play that complex solo live? Just put your right leg between the V legs and you can shred it steady, like if you were sit!

4- Ageless/Timeless GREAT look: from Albert King to Lonnie Mack to Michael Schenker to Jeff Waters to Dave Mustaine to Michael Amott, the Vees look awesomely great!

Bonus: You can actually play a Vee when sit. Just sit... and put your right leg between the V legs.

Disclaimer: The term "right" above is used for the sake of simplicity. If you're lefty, please replace the word "right" by "left". :)

The Flying V itself is 54 this year, is IT too old?

The answer should be obvious.

I still use my '81 Vector, and I'll be 54 in May, and never considered age being a factor, nor with my Standard.

There used to be a fairly common magazine ad here in the US, back in the late '70's or sometime in the '80's for recording tape and/or cassettes (no, NOT the Maxell guy sitting in a chair getting blasted by his stereo), the topic of the ad had something to do with tape longevity (unfortunately, not as a format :lol:). Anyhoo, the ad pictured a guy bare chested, wearing leather pants, boots, belts & studs (the usual metal stuff) and playing a Flying V. He was skinny, had long hair but was balding, and wore horn rimmed glasses, looked about 60 or 70 years old. I thought it was funny then, and kinda ironic now. I've done some Google searches under Maxell, TDK, BASF, Scotch/3M, but haven't found it yet. Hopefully, someone else here will have better luck. Anybody remember it?

There used to be a fairly common magazine ad here in the US, back in the late '70's or sometime in the '80's for recording tape and/or cassettes (no, NOT the Maxell guy sitting in a chair getting blasted by his stereo), the topic of the ad had something to do with tape longevity (unfortunately, not as a format :lol:). Anyhoo, the ad pictured a guy bare chested, wearing leather pants, boots, belts & studs (the usual metal stuff) and playing a Flying V. He was skinny, had long hair but was balding, and wore horn rimmed glasses, looked about 60 or 70 years old. I thought it was funny then, and kinda ironic now. I've done some Google searches under Maxell, TDK, BASF, Scotch/3M, but haven't found it yet. Hopefully, someone else here will have better luck. Anybody remember it?

I know exactly the ad......All you mentioned plus the oversized nose on "Grandpa". . I would guess I have it somewhere in an old Guitar mag. But where is that box of OLD stuff? Would not be surprised if it also ran in Playboy.

It would be great if it got reproduced here.

Wait! There is an age limit on Vs? :unsure::blink::huh::D

Bet Albert King and Lonnie Mack might have debated that? B)

51 years young over here and I dont have any decrease in my wanting to play Vectors and Standards and similar shaped guitars. YPGEMV! ^_^

Where are you playing? To me it would depend on the gig as to being too old

this.

I havent gigged in years. I just play a lot. Just got a Splawn Street Rod amp which I LOVE...also picked up a Fulltone TTE...talk about classic!

It was for guitar strings, actually- the by-line was, "they keep on rocking as long as you do" or something like that...I have a copious stash of old guitar for the practicing musicians in otherwise excellent condition.DSCN0553_2.jpg

It wasn't a tape ad - it was a Dean Markley from the late '80s/early '90s.

edit - here it is: http://www.premierguitar.com/Handler.ashx?Item_ID=6EC44E98-5318-47DB-8E46-96C97A8C593F&type=large

Archived