Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Too old for a "V"?

It wasn't a tape ad - it was a Dean Markley from the late '80s/early '90s.

edit - here it is: http://www.premiergu...593F&type=large

Oh My GOD! Your mind is like a steel trap... that is some scary f**kin' recall.

04kev12.jpg

I play this pair regularly at Madison Square livingroom with abandon! Life IS Good! Live It Up! :D:PB)

You will always be a 19 year old no matter how old you get Gene. I would really love to share the stage with you sometime, hopefully I'll get to Fla before we both turn to stone.

I turn 50 this year and the only guitar I still want is a Vector or a Standard....the blues/rock I play is very "showy" and that is the essence of rock n roll....play the V and dime the amp, brother!

There used to be a fairly common magazine ad here in the US, back in the late '70's or sometime in the '80's for recording tape and/or cassettes (no, NOT the Maxell guy sitting in a chair getting blasted by his stereo), the topic of the ad had something to do with tape longevity (unfortunately, not as a format :lol:). Anyhoo, the ad pictured a guy bare chested, wearing leather pants, boots, belts & studs (the usual metal stuff) and playing a Flying V. He was skinny, had long hair but was balding, and wore horn rimmed glasses, looked about 60 or 70 years old. I thought it was funny then, and kinda ironic now. I've done some Google searches under Maxell, TDK, BASF, Scotch/3M, but haven't found it yet. Hopefully, someone else here will have better luck. Anybody remember it?

It was for guitar strings, actually- the by-line was, "they keep on rocking as long as you do" or something like that...I have a copious stash of old guitar for the practicing musicians in otherwise excellent condition.DSCN0553_2.jpg

Yup, that's the one, thanks! I coulda sworn it was tapes, and that he looked more 'metal' than that, and a little less like Sammy Hagar. :lol: Oh well, time does funny things to memory.

You got 6 months to save up to get to Chicago. :huh: That is if they let me play again this year. ^_^:P:D:ph34r:

Thank you for the nice sentiments. :huh::)

Didn't we (you and I, Gene) say that we'll try to organize something in Washington? Dave will be very happy 4 sure! BTW, would love to play with master Zen as well.

I turned 48 last week and got rid of all my V's. Oh wait, I didn't have any.

However, I do have a burst Standard and a Zandard, and I bought the pinkburst Dean Cadillac from David B a few weeks ago. Am I too old to play those in public? I think Rick Nielsen would agree you don't get too old to play crazy-looking guitars.

I havent gigged in years. I just play a lot.

well then, rawk the hell outta that V !!

shredders look wrong on everyone except the youngsters (and maybe not even then).

oh oh..

brooks4-11.jpg

BK10-11alight.jpg

momhamer.jpg

Shredders look great, Vees look great and everything looks great, provided you still believe. Play whatever you like/want/enjoy, in spite of what others might thing. FYI, I have an idol right now, who is to me a reference and an inspiration. This person is one of us. His name: Kev Bower!

From the Off Broadway USA 35th anniversary debut a couple weeks ago-

Checkerboard Doc Marten boots? Check.

Checkerboard tie? Check.

Checkerboard cabs, mic stand and straps? Check.

Bad ass '81 bound body Vector? Check.

Old geezer sportin' 'em all? Check.

Nope, you are NEVER too old to rock the V, or anything else...

post-16398-0-22007700-1334848484_thumb.j

A friend of mine, that owns only Vees, asked me the same question a few years ago, and i told him i found it absurd...should we stop listening to Metallica when we turn 50??

Now..do you realize that a great part of the next wave of seniors (in about 30 years) will be hooked into Metal??

We will be seniors headbangers :blink::o;)

Should i be ashamed of my musical tastes?? ( i also enjoy punk metal...that's usually teenagers music)

Too many questions, too little time, and you never know when you'll be leaving, so f**ck it..life's a beach and then you surf away...enjoy what you like and don't let anyone tell you you're too old for anything, including Vees :)

I'm 50, am a living room guitarist, and have a Korina Vector. I know it could be viewed as ridiculous, but I don't care. I'm pretty damn responsible in every other aspect of my lif, and love guitars, including Vs and Explorers. (Kiz, your Korina Standard really out to sleep next to my Vector, and I ought to have the checkbook to make it happen...)

Interesting quandary here: do we act our age and eschew the trappings of our younger days or do we say, "damn the torpedoes, I'll play what I like?" I'm with BlueRedWhite and also say, " f*ck it. I'm almost 47 and I enjoy playing pointy-shaped shredder axes. Deal with it."

oct1shred.jpg

Archived