Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I've tried to resolve this issue privately, to no avail.

I recently traded my 81 Fender Bullet to fellow HFC'er IndianScout for an Epi Les Paul. I fully disclosed all known issues with my Fender in my For Sale post and provided additional detailed pics and info via PM. The guitar was fully functional with minor dings.

I received similar reports about the Epi, including much praise for the upgraded electronics he'd installed. The only problem is that the guitar arrives and the electronics are all messed up. Bridge pickup works, as does its volume control, but the neck pickup and other volume and tone controls do not work at all.

I informed IndianScout of the problem and asked him to cover part of the repair cost. He apologized, admitted that he'd recently broken and replaced the pickup selector switch (a fact he'd conveniently withheld), and took responsibility. He offered to refund my shipping costs, $37, towards the repair. I thought this was fair, told him so, and took the Epi to a local store for repairs.

When I got home, I found another message from him claiming that the Fender needed rewired and that he had decided to "call it even." Bullshit! We're not even! The Fender was fully functional with the exception of the coil tapping switch, as noted on line 2 of my original FS post. I've tried to contact him several times, but he's not answering PM's, so I'm taking it public.

Overall, the Epi can be repaired, and it'll be a fine instrument when it's fixed, but it's going to cost me money to get it in playing condition. Had IndianScout been forthright about the true condition of the Epi, I would've never agreed to the deal.

IndianScout, you traded me a defective guitar. You deliberately withheld the information about the replaced switch, and then you went back on your word. You promised to contribute towards the repair, and you need to follow through. Until then, I advise that the rest of you steer clear of him. Apparently, he can't be trusted.

BTW, I hope you enjoy the Fender. It's a damn fine guitar.

Yes. Very sorry to hear that.

When was the last time anyone can remember anything like that happening between two HFC-ers?

All of the instances I can remember were a long time ago, the wronged parties were made whole, and the unscrupulous parties were run of the board in way or another.

I have no doubt the same will happen here.

the unscrupulous parties were run of the board in way or another

Nothing better than the HFC's brand of vigilante justice.

"Let's go find us an indian down the alley...."

reggie-hammond-1.jpg

Geez nothing like that here in years.

I've been involved in a bad trade here, but the member had deals previously and since with other members which turned out well, so I chalked it up as an uncharacteristically bad moment for him and didn't go public. Not saying it happens a lot, but it happens more than is shared with everyone.

This is the only forum I frequent because the majority here are good people, but there are others here I wouldn't choose to deal with.

That sucks man!

The HFC is a good group of people. I never feel like I have to worry with deals on here. I always worry a little bit about ebay deals.

The last bad deal I can remember hearing about was that "Minty" and "Prestine" Destroyer which I think was a couple years ago

Is there any way we could make a sticky for members in unfavorable standing? Or is it kinda too late after the fact, like those type of people make one bad deal and just move on to another forum, and / or change their user name?

Steven DeCoteau is his name. I've also got a cell number and address if anyone wants it.

Thanks for all the support. I didn't listen to my "little voice" telling me to pass on his offer. Additionally, I should've tried to look up his user name on other forums, but the thought never crossed my mind. After reading portions of the harmony central threads, I guess I'm lucky I even got the guitar.

Over the years, I've met, traded with, sold to, and bought from several members here with nary a bad deal. I was too trusting . . . a mistake I'll not make again.

Edited to clarify the previous sentence. I have no reticence with dealing with established members of this board . . . every one I've dealt with treated me well except for this a-hole.

Edited again to add: I think I crossed a line by offering his address and cell number. If anyone needs to find him, I'm sure they already have the info.

Steven DeCoteau is his name. I've also got a cell number and address if anyone wants it.

Edited again to add: I think I crossed a line by offering his address and cell number. If anyone needs to find him, I'm sure they already have the info.

I disagree. This is how it's done.

If it were a situation where this guy had not had a long history of shady deals like the one he pulled with you, I would think you shouldn't give out the guy's info, but he needs to pay (literally and figuratively), and this is how we get that proverbial ball rolling.

It's the reason I never hesitate when dealing with another HFC-er.

I don't believe in God, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy, but I believe in the power of this group and it's ability to find anyone anywhere. We're like Seal Team 6, and anyone that pulls shit like this guy did deserves to meet a similar fate than the type of justice they are known to dish out: A disproportionate response delivered with extreme prejudice.

You'll see. You'll get your money or your guitar back.

Book it.

Sorry to hear this, STM. I consider the HFC one of the few safe havens for selling/trading.

+1

I bought 2 guitars here & 1 from a newbie. Not a hitch with either deals & very pleased with the purchases...

Kiz,

I really appreciate the support, especially after all the negative bullshit thrown my way when I called him out on the Les Paul forum, but I'm afraid of possible legal ramifications if someone goes to this dude's house and whacks him or something.

This place can be a great help when deals go bad.

I once got scammed by a fellow in Florida on two vintage Dimarzio pups. As I'm in Europe I couldn't exactly go over and whack him on the head. But the fine folks here on the HFC helped me track down the music store where he worked, took some detective time and I'm very grateful to those who helped out. I contacted his boss man and told him one of his employees was a hustler. Two weeks later the pups arrived in my mail box. So, see if you can find out where he works and try this, it might work....

Archived