Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Suggestions for a Police cover song...

gtone

Is that 'Around the World' video out on DVD? It's classic. I haven't seen it in a number of years, but methinks the tune Crunchee refers to was recorded in Bombay, and the audience was ecstatic (eyes rolling back into some of the attendees' heads, etc.). I also seem to recall "Born in the Fifties" from Hong Kong (correct me if I'm wrong), and of course, Sting being spat upon in France, and he responds at the end of "De Do Do Do De Da Da Da" by hocking a flying oyster of his own.

Unfortunately, no DVD issue yet, apparently. There's a petition online to have it released (597 signatures so far), the petition text has some interesting Police 'live' details in it as well:

Edited to include this (doh!): http://www.petitiono...4/petition.html

The Police used to be a helluva live band, before things got production driven. Back when I was still using cassettes (pre-CD or IPod, natch), I had put 'Around The World' on cassette for my own use. It's still better than any live Police CD release that I can think of, IMO.

Wonder how "So Lonely" would work - uptempo reggae rocker, but a little off the beaten path from their more popular material.

my mid 80's metal band did that one; verses like the record, chorus chugga chugga guitars and 16th note double bass drums. fun. went over ok.

Driven to Tears +1. People will sort of recognize it so it has the benefit of being "Oh, yeah!" and also it freakin' rocks. And about as Summers-y as it gets. That solo is great.

• So glad to see nobody mentioned "Every Breath You Take". Seriously.
  • Sting's solo cover of "Roxanne" from the Secret Policeman's Other Ball: Wow!
  • Now the bassline from "When The World Is Running Down.." will be stuck with me for the rest of the day (which is not a bad thing)

We do Synch II. I have a recording of it but my firewall at work prevents me from linking the recording. Haven't played it out yet but it will make it into the set this weekend. The problem with any Police song is that Sting is a friggin bitch to replicate. Surprisingly it isn't his range that gets me, I can hit the notes, but his phrasing is bizarre and his tone is very distinctive.

Maybe Kiz or McChris will link it for me...if not I will link it when I get home.

I have to agree with GMan's initial reply to the thread....

Message In A Bottle and Walking On The Moon for a live stadium setting.

I saw Paul Reed Smith's band do a smokin' cover of Message In A Bottle in Germany in the 90s, as an encore. They had an amazing drummer for that show who later played with Danny Gatton. One of the best drum solos I have ever heard...and I HATE drum solos.

Here is the link...I was able to get by the firewall. :) This was done with nothing but a handheld Flip so forgive the fidelity. I still think it turned out damn good for what it is.

Ignore the cracking voice at the beginning...I was having sex with three strippers when I sang this. That's my story and I am sticking to it. :D

http://soundcloud.co...icity-ii-4-3-12

Here is the link...I was able to get by the firewall. :) This was done with nothing but a handheld Flip so forgive the fidelity. I still think it turned out damn good for what it is.

Ignore the cracking voice at the beginning...I was having sex with three strippers when I sang this. That's my story and I am sticking to it. :D

Holy SMOKES! If you told me that someone sneaked into a Police rehearsal with their portable Zoom and recorded this, I would have believed you.

F**k you have a kick ass drummer and sang the vox really good.

Like I said, as good as The Police.

A+

Holy SMOKES! If you told me that someone sneaked into a Police rehearsal with their portable Zoom and recorded this, I would have believed you.

F**k you have a kick ass drummer and sang the vox really good.

Like I said, as good as The Police.

A+

Yeah, Poe. Bring those strippers back into the studio the next time you record because those dudes really helped out your sound.

Archived