Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I don't think I like Joe Bonamassa anymore

That was the era we played with him. He did not appreciate this level gig at all, just pissed he wasn't selling like Beyonce, left me shaking my head. Plus he sounds way better on Fenders

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did he switch to Gibson? My friend tells me he used to play Strats too. I liked that song quite a bit. If he had a decent singer it would be great.

When Henry J. decided he would be the poster boy for the "Lifestyle" and "Guitar Aficionado" brands.

When did he switch to Gibson? My friend tells me he used to play Strats too. I liked that song quite a bit. If he had a decent singer it would be great.

IIRC, Fender essentially made a Joe Bonamassa sig without calling or marketing it as such (ie, no money for Joe B.) and he jumped ship cause he was pissed. I imagine Gibson was throwing money at him too. I think he sounds great on Gibsons. Don't really know what he sounds like on Fenders because I really don't fell compelled to search out any of his stuff :D

-

Austin

Don't discount the Jubilees either. That combo yielded a biting, aggressive sound versus the smoothness of Gibsons through Dumble-style amps. Would have loved to have heard the former in BCC.

The Fender blowup was over gold sparkle strats. The gold sparkle is the Dick Dale strat, he couldn't have that cause it was already taken by a LEGEND of guitar, I'm seeing a trend....

The Fender blowup was over gold sparkle strats. The gold sparkle is the Dick Dale strat, he couldn't have that cause it was already taken by a LEGEND of guitar, I'm seeing a trend....

The only stuff of his a truly enjoyed was when he played strats. I don't want to get into the "soulless" thing as it is such a ridiculously subjective term, but everything about his Gibson tone is clinically perfect and dull as hell to me. His chops are great, but there are honestly lots of weekend warriors that can do the blues-scale-on-steroids thing. I won't say he's soulless as for all I know every not he plays might break his heart. It's just all pretty flawless, but the music he plays really isn't much about being flawless. I mean, blues is mostly about dancing, screwing, and the negative outcomes sometimes associated with dancing and screwing, particularly when you don't have a pot to piss in to begin with.

Joe kinda seems the Steve Vai of the blues scene, which is ironic because many in that scene would tell you Vai sucks because he's all technique and nothing more (which I don't think is true for either).

...Joe kinda seems the Steve Vai of the blues scene...

Don't you ever insult Steve Vai like that again!

Seriously though, Steve Vai is in a completely different universe from Joe B. in several ways.

-

Austin

...Joe kinda seems the Steve Vai of the blues scene...

Don't you ever insult Steve Vai like that again!

Seriously though, Steve Vai is in a completely different universe from Joe B. in several ways.

-

Austin

Stylistically and technically, of course. In fanboy adulation, no. It's just when you wrap guitar wankery in "da blues" then it is somehow all of the sudden classy.

Stylistically and technically, of course. In fanboy adulation, no. It's just when you wrap guitar wankery in "da blues" then it is somehow all of the sudden classy.

Nah. It just makes it more acceptable to old people.

Nah. It just makes it more acceptable to old people.

:lol: Basically what I was trying to politely say.

Getting even more specific, old white people.

...with gray ponytails, "E.C. Crossroads Tour, 2008" t-shirts, cargo shorts, black socks and orthopedic sandals.

Nah - we have FAR better style and taste than that.

Archived