Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Who's best song?

Too much great stuff to pick a "best" for me.

+1. Might not be their "best" but I have a particular fondness for I Can See For Miles and Miles. That tune just kills, imo.

One of 6(!) that have been mentioned since my early A.M. post, that I would include with those I first included as my "favs"

"Long Live Rock" nestles into that same cozy place, for me, as the 'Stones, "It's Only Rock 'n Roll", as a song about the genre, that I'd have someone listen to, to describe the genre.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never got into them but Behind Blue Eyes was ok.

This may be more of an age related thing, much like how I hate so much of what's come out in the last 20 years. The guys that grew up across the street from me were about 5 & 6 years younger than me ( and about that much older than you), and I remember that when I was in college, and they were in high school, they fell in love with The Who (1977-ish), and couldn't believe that they were contemporaries of the Beatles & Stones.

When they dug through the old catalog Who stuff, they went nuts. Similarly, it really flipped them out when I told them that Ted Nugent (whom they loved), had gone to their high school for one year, (St. Viator, Arlington Hts., - hey, didn't somebody used to make guitars in that town?). When they looked that up in an old yearbook, they couldn't believe it.

Or, maybe not.

I could not pick a favorite Who song, but you got the era correct. This song here's is "one" of my favorites..... I think it's actually from the early 70's, but the first time I heard it was in the 80's from a compilation I had:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HF6BfNJDOM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLD802422229A2C502

They were even an entertaining pantomime band. ;) Check out Moony!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uuMJ0AhyVo

Eminence Front. "It's a put on".

Number 2!

"Go To The Mirror!"

Number 1!

Townsend was a so-so player, but was a genius composer and had "a" great tone.

Moon (RIP) was a so-so player, but still overplayed and filled songs with chaos. And he acted as if he was funny. Nope, really not funny. Sorry.

Entwistle was a monster. One of the best ever.

Townsend was a so-so player, but was a genius composer and had "a" great tone.

Yeah - he never was as good as that Townshend guy.

I've recently started playing "I Can't Explain" with one of my bands. According to Wikipedia, this song "was the A-side of the group's first single released under the name The Who." It's very garage/basement, and we have a good time playing it. 60s rock rules. I go back and forth on whether I like 60s or 70s Who songs better though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived