Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best Amp/FX modeler?

I'm asking for a friend who is looking around for one.

He's looking for an amp modeler, the FX would probably be secondary. What's the most credible one out there? Let's break it into two categoires:

Best with price not being an issue and,

Moderate/mid-range price and therefore, best bang for the buck.

I haven't had one in in years so I have no perspective on one.

Fire away. Thanks!

Original Axe FX, very cheap on the used.

Axe FX Ultra, mid cheap on the used.

Either combined with the Axe edit software makes it a snap to edit in real time, and very user friendly.

If ease of use is a consideration, I recommend the ancient and long discontinued Line6 Duoverb as a pure amp modeler. Originally listed at $1,200.00 you can pick up a used head or combo for under $350, sometimes much less.

I also use the Line6 SpiderValve combo. Another design that eliminates digital interfaces and programming, it is dirt simple for those of us with little tolerance for user manuals. Also sounds great, thanks to a tube power section designed by Reinhold Bogner and a nice complement of amp models. The effects are usable, but really an afterthought on this amp.

Both of these amps work well with real pedals, so you can use your own favorites.

Caveat: I've never tried a Kemper

Best regardless of price: Axe FX 2

Best w/ price as an issue: 11Rack

I've tried all the floor units and for me, there was a huge leap going from the Line6

HD500 to the 11Rack. The Axe2 is definitely superior in every way, but it's a smaller gap.

-

Austin

AxeFX or Eleven Rack. Love 'em both for ease of use and really good sound. Not using them now, but they still reside in the studio. Eleven rack is the deal. Axe FX if price isn't a problem. If you want to go under $300, I always found I could get a good sound from the Line 6 Flextone III. I use the JCM 800 model exclusively. It's a great crunch and solo sound on the Flextone. Most of the models are near or far misses. Effects are good for grab it and go. My buddy in Orlando has one in good shape for $150 plus shipping, if you want to go cheap. I think that all the lesser modelers do pretty good cleans. It's the crunch/distortion where the men are separated from the boys.

I think the Eleven Rack is the best for the buck in the mid to higher price range.

This is all great info. I've been a big fan of the Line 6 stuff (particularly their fx), and even the Digitech modelers.

Now thinking seriously about the Axe FX 2, but gather that there are some crazy hoops to jump through, a lengthy wait, and difficulty in finding a liquid foot jr or pro...

What's the skinny?

Just picked up a Cyber DLX in a trade ... I have been very pleased with it so far.... I also have a little Vox Valvetronix and a Line6 Pod pro in my rack.....

If I can get a decent Marshall and a decent clean Tweed sound ... I'm pretty happy..... and honestly.... the only people in the clubs that are going to "know" it's not "a real amp" are other guitar players.....

This is all great info. I've been a big fan of the Line 6 stuff (particularly their fx), and even the Digitech modelers.

Now thinking seriously about the Axe FX 2, but gather that there are some crazy hoops to jump through, a lengthy wait, and difficulty in finding a liquid foot jr or pro...

What's the skinny?

Axe2's are pretty easy to find used. If you want a new one at a discount, there's a waiting list, but you should be able to find someone to get a code from (or get a code off eBay for a couple buck).. As far as a midi pedal goes, why a Liquid Foot as opposed to the MFC101?

Having said that, if you like the Line6 stuff, why spend 6 times as much money (conservatively) for an Axe setup?

-

Austin

Having said that, if you like the Line6 stuff, why spend 6 times as much money (conservatively) for an Axe setup?

-

Austin

The answer is simple- NOTHING compares to the Axe FX, and every penny of the price tag is worth it. :)

Let's see, I currently have a POD XT, Vox Tonelab, POD HD500 and an ADA MP1 rack setup. I know plenty of people that can get decent tones out of the previously mentioned gear but, I don’t like having to tweak for hours on end. Beyond being frustrating, it takes away from my limited amount of playing time. After the AxeFxII I'm pretty much getting rid of everything including most of my tube amps. None of the others come close and I can dial in a killer tone in a matter seconds, so easily in fact the only preset I have stored is for recording Bass giutar. It is without a doubt the most astounding piece of gear I've ever purchased. (Still in disbelief after using it for three months+). I have never wanted to play as much as I do now. My 14 year old nephew came over last night and after five minutes was dialing in tones that he fell in love with, he ended up playing for three hours. He has an Orange TH30 half stack.

For live use I am very happy with my Marshall JMD1, has a full tube poweramp stage combined with Softube amp modeling, is IMHO best of both worlds. In the studio I would use plugins with cabinet IR's. Still the most flexible solution. If you will be using an FRFR setup live your best bet will be AXE FX or Kemper but a lot will depend on your FRFR quality.

J

Geoff - You can score an AxeFX Ultra and be happy with that if you don't want to wait for an Axe2. The Ultra is more than capable. And as Austin suggested, MFC1 for your midi needs.

Or you could dig up a Marshall JMP1 or more versitile Mesa TriAxis and get a EFX box like a G-major.

I've heard the Digitech 1101 is pretty good but have not run into one to try.

I'm not too picky about my live rig, so I'm okay with the Digitech modelers. I personally own an RP250, which after some tweaking works just fine.

I've also used a Vox Tonelab with great results, although the unit was heavy as hell.

One thing I must say though: the Digitech software to edit the patches is the best I've ever tried. It's the most intuitive to me, so I prefer it to the other two I know (Line6 and Vox).

I'm not too picky about my live rig, so I'm okay with the Digitech modelers. I personally own an RP250, which after some tweaking works just fine.

I've also used a Vox Tonelab with great results, although the unit was heavy as hell.

One thing I must say though: the Digitech software to edit the patches is the best I've ever tried. It's the most intuitive to me, so I prefer it to the other two I know (Line6 and Vox).

Love it. It's the only way I'll tweak my 1101 unless it's a gig/emergency and I've even considered loading X Edit into my netbook for gig/rehersal tweaks.

That's one major advantage of the 11R, it's incredible easy to tweak from the front panel; not software required (although maybe I'm a weirdo, since I do most of my Axe2 tweaking from the front panel too).

-

Austin

Archived