Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Announcing the launch of B-Way Guitars

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't want people to be distracted by my ravishing good looks.

BTW, a quick update: the standard bridge on the Mercury Head is now the Super-Vee Blade Runner. I was a skeptic, but after testing it out in the prototype I've become a convert:

IMG_0832.jpg

I'll still offer the Gotoh 510T-SF2 as an option for people who want the looser feel of a traditional bridge, but in terms of tone, response and return to pitch, I can't say enough good things about the Blade Runner.

BTW, a quick update: the standard bridge on the Mercury Head is now the Super-Vee Blade Runner. I was a skeptic, but after testing it out in the prototype I've become a convert:

I'll still offer the Gotoh 510T-SF2 as an option for people who want the looser feel of a traditional bridge, but in terms of tone, response and return to pitch, I can't say enough good things about the Blade Runner.

So, Ben, do you like the Blade Runner better than Callaham? I've been contemplating replacing the bridge in my '62 VHRRI (the trem arm is just too floppy and feels terrible after using a Callaham for years). I love the feel of the Callaham arm. Do you know if the Blade Runner accepts vintage bent-steel bridge pieces?

BTW: Looks great on the Mercury Head!

So, Ben, do you like the Blade Runner better than Callaham? I've been contemplating replacing the bridge in my '62 VHRRI (the trem arm is just too floppy and feels terrible after using a Callaham for years). I love the feel of the Callaham arm. Do you know if the Blade Runner accepts vintage bent-steel bridge pieces?

BTW: Looks great on the Mercury Head!

I don't have any experience with Callaham, so I can't compare. I know Super-Vee plans to issue bent saddles at some point. I'm not sure if you could retrofit 3rd-party bent saddles, though. The intonation adjustment screws are allen key screws, and I haven't measured them yet to see if they're compatible with Fender-type saddles. Also, I believe the string spacing is narrower, so you might have to use narrower saddles.

That sounds really good Ben! I am looking forward to some more clips from B-Way fo shizzle.

Thanks, I'll try to post a couple more clips before the end of the summer.

She is hot. Shell pink and sonic blue would also be killer clothes on her. Kinda reminds me of my jerry donahue model with a strat neck pickup and a tele bridge pickup (except reversed).

I'm sure those colors could easily be arranged! It was a close decision between white and Turquoise Metallic for the prototype. I decided that a blank slate look would be most appropriate for the 1st one. I'm also keen on offering graphic finishes at some point. I have a particular cubic/abstract pinstripe design in mind.

The Mercury Head looks very nice. Good luck in your venture.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Due to potential issues with the BladeRunner bridge I'll be working on an alternate part. Stay tuned. In the meantime, fixed-bridge orders are totally welcome, lol.

Could you go into more detail about the "potential issues"? (I understand completely if the answer is "no")

-

Austin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

daphne-silvermercuryhead.jpg

I like this one too. It is hard to tell blues on different computers, but if this was a sonic blue with that pg...I likey.

Going back to my other posts. I would say a vintage orange(w/ flake) and the gold pg, and a sonic blue set-up as pictured above. IMHO!

Ultimately cool, either way

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey, sorry I haven't updated in a while. Put this venture on hold after daughter #2 was born, but things are starting to pick up again. Time for a new build:

raw-body1.jpg

This one will feature some rustic Glendale goodness:

img_2069.jpg

And a quartersawn maple neck with katalox board:

raw-neck.jpg

raw-neck-2.jpg

And last night I recorded a new demo clip of the prototype using my Kemper loaded with profiles of David Gilmour's actual DR103 used on the Wall:

https://soundcloud.com/b-wayguitars/mercury-head-kemper-taf-demo

• 1 month later...

Archived