Hamer Fan Club Message Center

[NHC] Jeff Beck

JJ Paul

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://s6...BX2I6UL7VYJR8P4

Enjoy...

refreshing & illuminating as always :unsure:

Hello? Steve Vai... Who? Never heard of 'im...

JJ

Although there is no denying his ability, I just don't get Jeff Beck. I watched the first five or six tunes and as much as I try, I'm just not that crazy about him. I do however like some of the work he has done with other people like Stewart and I think he played on Jagger's first solo CD? I even recently revisited Blow by Blow and Wired thinking a couple of decades later they might sink in but, nope. He does however, tend to surround himself with some serious musicians.

As far as the Vai comment I'm, guessing you haven't seen the "Live at the Astoria DVD." I can see how someone might prefer Beck over Vai but, I challenge anyone to say that Vai is less technical than Beck or that he surrounds himself with less talented musicians. Virgil Donati on drums, Tony McAlpine on keys and guitar, Billy Sheehan on bass, not to mention Dave Weiner. (On guitar also.)

Please excuse my comment on Vai.. it wasn't meant to be a snide remark.

It's just that all of the sudden I had this revelation re. Steve Vai's lineage.

Some of the stuff that Jeff plays, and the way he does play them are pretty evident in Steve's style IMVHO.

That's all... said from womeone who purchased "Flex-able" many many many moons ago...

JJ Paul

Guest pirateflynn

Big Jeff Beck fan here. His playing and the beauty of the tune of " A Day In the (his) Life " is just great. Thanks once again for posting!

Bummer, the link is down. Hope they get it back up. The Beatles tribute that beck plays on is amazingly tasteful!

I have the files. I'm willing to burn them to CD and (1) snail mail them out to you or we could try (2) running an FTP server on my hard drive for you to attach and snatch.

1. I need your snail mail address

2. I need you IP address at the time of attempt and you would need a compatible FTP client. I use CuteFTP. There is a client around here somewhere I could send you. What's your geek level for this stuff?

JIm

My guitars broken, I don't have those notes.

Almost lost my dinner reading that one !

The thing is, he doesn't sit still, he is constantly pushing, unlike others of the same era who I love dearly, but the song remains the same ;)

Jeff Beck is probably my fav ever, but my experience with Jeff is when he's on, he's no hesitation the best in the world --- but when he's off -- "ouch!" And in some ways I like that. I think it really shows how his heart plays such a big part in his art.

Well, I like his 70's albums. Of course, I like his playing, but I think his 80's-present material lacks bit of the great songwriting the older albums had. Especially the albums he did with Max Middleton I like a lot, also because Beck's backing band always had great musicians that I liked (Cozy Powell, Clive Chaman, Narada Michael Walden, Wilbur Bascomb, Phil Chen, Richard Bailey, Bob Tench, Jan Hammer, Carmine Appice)

Archived