Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Your favourite organist, hammond player, keys man? Top five-ish

So Jon Lord went away to see the gods of Valhalla. He made some classic riffs on that organ for sure. I was never a big fan of his classicaly influenced style. But a lot the stuff on the early Gillan Purple stuff was good, Machine Head and such.

I started to think of good Hammond, organ and keyboard players that I like. Preferably Hammond players on the list, but other types will do.

Here is my top 5 list, really in no particular order:

Booker T.

Bernie Worrell (clearly the greatest, and the biggest genious of them all!)

Billy Preston.

Ian McLagan (absolutely on of my favs).

Edgar Winter

Who's on your list?

• Jimmy Smith
  • Lee Michaels--and if you haven't heard him on a Hammond, do it! Even if it's just a 99-cent download.
  • Billy Preston
  • Booker T.
  • Felix Cavaliere

What, no Richard Wright from Pink Floyd? I love the keyboard stuff on their albums.

Also, keys on Led Zeppelin albums were I believe played by John Paul Jones. Not saying he's up there with Billy Preston, but definitely added depth to some good Zeppelin songs.

Also, NO RAY CHARLES??? "Breaks my heart, kid that young going bad'

Ken Hensley is the only guy you need to compare to Jon Lord. Those two were the heavy riff Hammond players!

I have a tube that came out of Keith Emerson's Hammond. When I was bumming a Greg Lake guitar pick a tech said, "Here-- have a valve out of Keith's organ."

Archived