Hamer Fan Club Message Center

MIM Fender Cabronita

As some of you may know, Fender just came out with a MIM version of the Cabronita, so I grabbed a white blonde ash model, which arrived yesterday. I've wanted a Cabronita for awhile now but never wanted to pay Custom Shop prices so when I saw the MIM, I jumped without thinking twice and I certainly don't regret it because this one sounds awesome. It weighs 7 lbs. and is really loud unplugged. I can't wait to use it at band practice with my live rig. I've pretty much been playing Teles only with my band, and this one makes a great addition to the tones I'm getting from my Jim Root and American Special.

DSC00349.jpg

The trifecta:

DSC00353.jpg

That's very cool, alot of people had been building their own... can't tell the finish, but

it would be nice if it had a nice thin finish like the highways and road worns

the humbucker tele looks cool too, will have to check that out

It's not a "thin skin" finish by any means -- just the typical Fender poly.

As for the buckered Tele: it's a Jim Root model with a mahogany body, EMGs and an ebony board. That guitar practically plays itself and I use it about 80 percent of the time these days.

Just FYI, they made a USA version as part of the "Tele-bration" or whatever that streets for around $1700 or so new. Willie's had a couple and they rocked hard. Limited run, though. Damn fine concept, and I have to imagine that the MIM is fairly reasonable. Congrats and enjoy that awesome trio!

I knew about the $1700 USA models as well but wasn't willing to pay that much....I bet Fender sells a ton of these MIM models because of the price point: the burst and black versions are alder with a MAP of $599; the white blonde is ash with a $699 MAP.

Anybody know of a 'shootout' review between the USA model and the MIM yet? I'm curious to find out how the 'Fideli'Tron' pickup compares to the TV Jones models in the USA versions.

I knew about the $1700 USA models as well but wasn't willing to pay that much....I bet Fender sells a ton of these MIM models because of the price point: the burst and black versions are alder with a MAP of $599; the white blonde is ash with a $699 MAP.

+1! They have the Fender 'limited edition' sticker on the back of the headstock, so I suspect that they won't be around long...

Edited to add: Specs are here, Fender says the neck is a 'modern 'C' shape':

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0140072306

All three have the same Fender "Modern C" profile. The Jim Root has the exact same profile as the other two.

But how about the playability, feel, fit and finish of the necks between the Root, American Special and the MIM?

How is the tone between the three?

All the necks seem the same, although the Root's ebony board feels best to me. The Root also has a tummy cut on the back of the body which is definitely comfy. Tonewise they are all different. The Root is a rock guitar with EMGs; the American Special does the traditional Tele thing to the "T" and the Cabronita sits in between. I can't wait to try the Cabronita with my band as I'm loving it so far.

On a semi-related note, I'm quite sure I need something with Filt-R-Trons in it.

You should custom order a Standard with those pickups. I'm thinking spruce top.

I like that one, Jaye. I like the 'Trons in my Tele, so was curious to hear what you think about the ones on the MIM.

Fender calls these "Fidelitrons" and they sound great IMO. Someone at TGP pulled the pickups in his MIM Cabronita and most said they exactly like rebranded TV Jones. I have no idea but I'm leaving the guitar stock because for me, it's perfect as is.

Fender calls these "Fidelitrons" and they sound great IMO. Someone at TGP pulled the pickups in his MIM Cabronita and most said they exactly like rebranded TV Jones. I have no idea but I'm leaving the guitar stock because for me, it's perfect as is.

So let me get this straight: you LIKE the sound of a stock guitar (MIM, no less) so you're NOT going to upgrade it with a set of corksniffer pickups?

Get out.

Archived