Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

IMG_0346.JPG

A duo of records that are excellent examples of wading through patently awful vocals for the amazing guitar work. If this is the stuff he had in the can for "Lovedrive", it's obvious why he was summarily sacked from Scorpions. However, some of the material sounds strangely like Boston/Kansas, AOR rock! If he found a killer singer and tightened up the rambling, neo-classical guitar shit into actual, you know, songs, he might have actually got some airplay.

Edited by RobB

The sky is red, I don't understand,
past midnight I still see the land.
People are sayin' the woman is damned,
she makes you burn with a wave of her hand.
The city's a blaze, the town's on fire.
The woman's flames are reaching higher.
We were fools, we called her liar.
All I hear is "Burn!"

I didn't believe she was devil's sperm.
She said, "Curse you all, you'll never learn!
When I leave there's no return."
The people laughed till she said, "Burn!"
Warning came, no one cared.
Earth was shakin', we stood and stared.
When it came no one was spared.
Still I hear is "Burn!"

• Like 1

Reverence.

This is a great metal album... The singer is also involved with Riot V (formerly Riot), and is actually on the Voice with Team Blake right now. He reminds me a lot of the singer in Queensryche. 

On 3/20/2020 at 12:42 AM, RobB said:

IMG_0338.JPG

Never gave these guys their due when I was young. I liked goofier punk like The Damned, Circle Jerks, Dickies, etc...I appreciate the Pistols now, for some reason.

Holy crap I wore this album out in 9th grade. Went thru a brief punk listening phase w/ this, Ramones, Buzzcocks, and Telefones (local DFW band) back then.

I recently picked up thIs AudioTechnica low-output moving coil cartridge (LOMC) for my vinyl rig:

spacer.png

LOMCs excel at extracting the subtleties of musical expression from a record's groove. So to check it out I played this LP of a Spanish concerto for guitar and orchestra played by Pepe Romero and conducted by Andre Previn. It was a great recording to show what my new cartridge could do:

It sounded so good I immediately ordered this phono preamp from Audio Advisor with (relatively) massive power supply to bring out the best in an LOMC. On the left is the 2-chassis layout, with the phono stage on the bottom and the power supply on top.

spacer.pngPower supply interior: spacer.png

Note the power supply's beefy shielding, isolation, and relatively massive transformer and capacitors. I'll be finding out when it arrives Saturday, but I figure the shielding and isolated transformer will lower the noise floor and the capacitors will provide current on demand for musical crescendos.

To my pleasant surprise I got it for the closeout price of $229.95 marked down from $450-$500. That button on the front of the power supply switches between the capacitance and resistance settings required for moving magnet and moving coil cartridges respectively, which will be handy for switching between my favorite two cartridges.

I can't wait for delivery day Friday.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RobB said:

I use that preamp. It’s a good one. Not sure I can speak to the, “capacitors/musical crescendos”, nonsense, but it is a quality phono pre. 

I had a handwired PTP phono preamp that had dynamics that would knock me around the room. The tubes were vintage mil-surplus, but I can't find replacements. I'm not expecting the Vincent to recapture the sensation, but I'm hoping the dual-chassis design will improve s/n ratio and dynamic range. I'll find out by the weekend, I hope.