Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

On 3/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, RobB said:

I use that preamp. It’s a good one. Not sure I can speak to the, “capacitors/musical crescendos”, nonsense, but it is a quality phono pre. 

How long have you had it? Do you have any tips for use? Do you use it for moving magnet cartridges, moving coil, or both?

My previous phono pre didn't provide a good impedance for my LOMC

I plan on switching frequently between my MM and LOMC.

Edited by JohnnyB

I use it with an Ortofon Blue 2M MM cart. Kenwood 3070 turntable..

The only tips I can offer is let it burn-in for appx 48hrs. I don't know what that really does, but it was suggested in the manual. Another tip is to keep it away from any hi-voltage components, like recievers/power amps and power supplies. I moved my Panamax power supply to the bottom shelf, put the cd player in its place and installed the Vincent behind the cd player. I'd prefer to have it next to the Kenwood, but there's not enough room on the shelf.

1 hour ago, RobB said:

I use it with an Ortofon Blue 2M MM cart. Kenwood 3070 turntable..

The only tips I can offer is let it burn-in for appx 48hrs. I don't know what that really does, but it was suggested in the manual. Another tip is to keep it away from any hi-voltage components, like recievers/power amps and power supplies. I moved my Panamax power supply to the bottom shelf, put the cd player in its place and installed the Vincent behind the cd player. I'd prefer to have it next to the Kenwood, but there's not enough room on the shelf.

Thanks for the info. I heard an Ortofon Red at an in-store demo and was impressed (it was feeding a Naim chain of electronics, and I knew the Blue would be better still). My turntable will be on the top shelf, the PHO-8 components will be placed two shelves down, with the PHO power supply and phono stage positioned side-to-side, with a high current power amp (Perreaux PMF-3150) on the bottom shelf.  I plan to leave the PH-8 on throughout the weekend. In fact, I've been leaving my much smaller Schiit Mani on all the time and turn the downstream linestage all the way down when I switch cartridges or gain switches. I'll be using a fairly beefy Zu Audio power cord with the PHO-8 power supply.

20 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Thanks for the info. I heard an Ortofon Red at an in-store demo and was impressed (it was feeding a Naim chain of electronics, and I knew the Blue would be better still). My turntable will be on the top shelf, the PHO-8 components will be placed two shelves down, with the PHO power supply and phono stage positioned side-to-side, with a high current power amp (Perreaux PMF-3150) on the bottom shelf.  I plan to leave the PH-8 on throughout the weekend. In fact, I've been leaving my much smaller Schiit Mani on all the time and turn the downstream linestage all the way down when I switch cartridges or gain switches. I'll be using a fairly beefy Zu Audio power cord with the PHO-8 power supply.

That's more than I know. I went with what the turntable guy said was a good, mid-line cart. I'm not really an audiophile, as I already have guitars as an expensive avocation. My system sounds great, but all that super-pricey stuff is way out of my wheelhouse. I think the most luxurious components I own are a pair of Cerwin-Vega 217R speakers. They are huge and beastly (not my pair, pics from web search):

image.png

image.png

Edited by RobB

2 hours ago, Brooks said:

Johnny this kicked up on my Pandora jazz channel, very cool version & lineup

Good call. I love that album! In fact, I played it to try out the new cartridge and the match sounded so good I also pulled out the Angel Classical versions that I posted. And you're right on the lineup on Jim Hall's album, not only for the talent, but also the moody vibe that Paul Desmond,  Ron Carter, Steve Gadd, and Chet Baker contribute to the interpretation. I really perked up when pianist Roland Hanna came in on it. I'll keep an ear out for him from now on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brooks said:

Johnny this kicked up on my Pandora jazz channel, very cool version & lineup

YAHOO!

The  phono stage just arrived an hour or so ago. I wasted no time installing it and have already played several records. Right now I'm listening to the "Concierto" side and am really enjoying it.

I was expecting a long, laborious break-in period, but I switched to my moving coil cartridge and instant magic ensued. I've already listened to some "quiet" LPs including Jim Hall's jazz version of "Concierto" and also Norah Jones' self-titled debut album. This phono unit it dead quiet. With the Schiit Mani, I'd get line noise when I'd try to gain-match to the moving coil cart. With the Vincent PH-8, there is no perceptible noise floor. I can move my line stage a 1/4 turn louder, and there is still no hint of hum or buzz.

I'm going to be busy this weekend. I have over 2,000 LPs to dig through. 😁. Looking forward to it.