Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

Today I was listening to the new Gojira album, "L'Enfant Sauvage".

• Like 2

Strauss waltzes by Eugene Ormandy & Philadelphia Orch, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue by Fiedler & Boston Pops, Earl Wild on piano, Sibelius Symph. No.1 by Clive Davis & Boston Symphony. Last night it was Pictures at an Exhibition and Bolero by Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic.

Yes, I'm on a grand orchestral classical tear.

• Like 1

Aja - one of the best albums of the 70's. Hell, one of the best classic rock albums, period. Even my cat likes it, and she doesn't normally stick around when I start playing music!

• Like 3

Ken's original post inspired me to throw some more music on the turntable. Currently it's

51FAHQ81DCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...remastered by Bernie Grundman with assistance from the Wilma Cozart FIne, the recording director for the original recording session. Reissued on a 200g pressing. Originally recorded on 35mm magnetic film. Awesome sound and performance from 50 years ago.

Now I'm on to:

317JGK5KKXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

... recorded the same year (1962) as Balalaika Favorites.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 3

Today was the Flamin Groovies Teenage Head and Dire Straits debut album....also Generic Hustle which Brooks sent me! It was funky!

• Like 1

Spun Howlin Rain, Supertramp and Poco today.

Met Roger Hodgson (ex Supertramp vocalist) last week - he played at the same festival in Cognac France where Guy Forsyth was headlining.

Sweet guy - and he did a great show with all the pre 83 songs from Supertramp. Good enough to pull out the old vinyl again.

I just saw the LEMMY movie last night so it's been a Kilmister binge all day. Motörhead and I go back together until around 1981-1982 when I was twelve and first heard them. My parents did not allow me to go and see them live then, but I have seen them at least a dozen times through out the years. Great band. Had it's ups and downs. My fav record is Another perfect day, a bit un orthodox perhaps, (and Ace of Spades of course).

I just saw the LEMMY movie last night so it's been a Kilmister binge all day. Motörhead and I go back together until around 1981-1982 when I was twelve and first heard them. My parents did not allow me to go and see them live then, but I have seen them at least a dozen times through out the years. Great band. Had it's ups and downs. My fav record is Another perfect day, a bit un orthodox perhaps, (and Ace of Spades of course).

Another Perfect Day is my favorite too. The songs may not have been as "Motorhead" as the earlier albums, but I think most people would have to concede the guitar playing was probably the best they've ever had. YMMV.

Another Perfect Day is my favorite too. The songs may not have been as "Motorhead" as the earlier albums, but I think most people would have to concede the guitar playing was probably the best they've ever had. YMMV.

My mileage is definitely varying with that. Big Robbo fan here, and the guitar work is great, but not on par with his Lizzy stuff, and the live recordings from that era are awful. Fast Eddie was no slouch, and neither is Phil Campbell. Hell, even Wurzel was good.

I don't really listen to music on a regular basis... you guys trip me out with all of this casual listening.

With record shelves full of performances by legends such as Jascha Heifetz, Artur Rubinstein, and Vladimir Horowitz in the classical realm, plus jazz performances by Count Basie, Buddy Rich, Brubeck, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Monk, Keith Jarrett, Ray Brown, Oscar Peterson, great song interpreters like Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ray Charles and Rod Stewart, great rock and pop by The Beatles, Beach Boys, Police, Steely Dan, The Cars, Steve Miller, The Band, Pink Floyd, and The Who, country legends Johnny Cash, Dwight Yoakam, Chet Atkins, and Earl Scruggs...

How can I not pull a few of these out and spin them every day? We are blessed to have had true high fidelity technology for the past 63 years, 54 of them in stereo. It enables us to revisit decades of legendary performances by legendary artists, many of them long gone from the earth, and hear them as though they're in the room with us once again.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1