Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

Always a good time for Supersickers, although I've been compiling a playlist of stuff from 1979 (the best year in music) for a project...

Cheap Trick and Rainbow along with an assload of other great stuff from that year.

In an attempt to not be the "BAD GUY", I've been waiting for someone to weigh in on the "best year in music" quote, but now I'm wondering if perhaps it was overlooked.

Anybody want to fire a few rounds into this, or should I check back late tonight prepared to question this?

Best year in music? If not the best, 1967 was a landmark year for debuts (e.g., Doors, Hendrix, Small Faces, Vanilla Fudge...) and established groups stepping up their game (Sgt. Peppers, Their Satanic Majesties Request, The Who Sell Out ...):

• Beatles: Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour
  • Jefferson Airplane: Surrealistic Pillow
  • The Doors: The Doors, Strange Days
  • Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed
  • The Grateful Dead: The Grateful Dead
  • Jimi Hendrix; Are You Experienced?, Axis Bold as Love
  • David Bowie: David Bowie
  • Small Faces: From the Beginning, Small Faces
  • Bee Gees: Bee Gees 1st
  • Vanilla Fudge: Vanilla Fudge
  • Aretha Franklin: Aretha Arrives
  • Pink Floyd: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
  • Albert King: Born Under a Bad Sign
  • James Brown: Cold Sweat
  • Beach Boys: Smiley Smile (would have been "Smile" if Brian had had a little cooperation), Wild Honey
  • Procol Harum: Procol Harum
  • Ten Years After: Ten Years After
  • Buffalo Springfield: Buffalo Springfield Again
  • Arlo Guthrie: Alice's Restaurant
  • Cream: Disraeli Gears
  • Monkees: Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, Jones
  • The Amboy Dukes: The Amboy Dukes (Nuge)
  • The First Edition: The First Edition
  • Rolling Stones: Their Satanic Majesties Request
  • The Who: The Who Sell Out
  • Bob Dylan: John Wesley Hardin
  • Leonard Cohen: Songs of Leonard Cohen
  • Donovan: A Gift from a Flower to a Garden
  • Frank Zappa: Lumpy Gravy
  • Traffic: Mr. Fantasy
  • Harry Nilsson: Pandemonium Shadow Show
  • Chambers Brothers: The Time Has Come

• Like 2

Best year in music? If not the best, 1967 was a landmark year for debuts (e.g., Doors, Hendrix, Small Faces, Vanilla Fudge...) and established groups stepping up their game (Sgt. Peppers, Their Satanic Majesties Request, The Who Sell Out ...):

• Beatles: Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour
  • Jefferson Airplane: Surrealistic Pillow
  • The Doors: The Doors, Strange Days
  • Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed
  • The Grateful Dead: The Grateful Dead
  • Jimi Hendrix; Are You Experienced?, Axis Bold as Love
  • David Bowie: David Bowie
  • Small Faces: From the Beginning, Small Faces
  • Bee Gees: Bee Gees 1st
  • Vanilla Fudge: Vanilla Fudge
  • Aretha Franklin: Aretha Arrives
  • Pink Floyd: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
  • Albert King: Born Under a Bad Sign
  • James Brown: Cold Sweat
  • Beach Boys: Smiley Smile (would have been "Smile" if Brian had had a little cooperation), Wild Honey
  • Procol Harum: Procol Harum
  • Ten Years After: Ten Years After
  • Buffalo Springfield: Buffalo Springfield Again
  • Arlo Guthrie: Alice's Restaurant
  • Cream: Disraeli Gears
  • Monkees: Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, Jones
  • The Amboy Dukes: The Amboy Dukes (Nuge)
  • The First Edition: The First Edition
  • Rolling Stones: Their Satanic Majesties Request
  • The Who: The Who Sell Out
  • Bob Dylan: John Wesley Hardin
  • Leonard Cohen: Songs of Leonard Cohen
  • Donovan: A Gift from a Flower to a Garden
  • Frank Zappa: Lumpy Gravy
  • Traffic: Mr. Fantasy
  • Harry Nilsson: Pandemonium Shadow Show
  • Chambers Brothers: The Time Has Come

Well JB, I didn't have a year in mind when I posted, I just wanted to have some fun with Serial, wondering if he thought '79 was the best year in music because of things like Barbara Streisands "You don't send me flowers" and "The Main Event", Robert Johns "Sad Eyes", Suzi Quatros' "Stumblin' In", The Village People with "YMCA" and "In the Navy", Dr. Hooks' "When you're in love with a beautiful woman", or Supertramps' "Logical Song"?

The terrific contributions of Van Halen, The Clash, Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, Dire Straits, Blondie and others aside, I figured that despite being a guy who doesn't make lists or arbitrarily 'rate' things, 1979 wouldn't be a year that I'd argue was "The Best", but that there would likely be at least a couple from the 60's that were better. I believe that your choice of '67 would be a tough one to beat.

I'd have never remembered all that you listed, but do notice some omissions, or, if you prefer, some additional ammunition to make your case, (singles).

Paul Revere and the Raiders - 'Good Thing' and 'Him or Me' (hey, they were both hits, and I was 9, so take it easy!)

The Turtles - 'Happy Together'

Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66 - 'The Look of Love'

The Lettermen - Live album with their classic medley 'Goin' out of my Head / Can't take my eyes off of you'

The Association - 'Windy' and 'Never my Love'

Blues Magoos - 'We ain't got nothin' yet' (single was '67, album was '66)

Balloon Farm - 'A Question of Temperature' ( a personal fav)

I'd have never remembered all that you listed, but do notice some omissions, or, if you prefer, some additional ammunition to make your case, (singles).

Paul Revere and the Raiders - 'Good Thing' and 'Him or Me' (hey, they were both hits, and I was 9, so take it easy!)

The Turtles - 'Happy Together'

Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66 - 'The Look of Love'

The Lettermen - Live album with their classic medley 'Goin' out of my Head / Can't take my eyes off of you'

The Association - 'Windy' and 'Never my Love'

Blues Magoos - 'We ain't got nothin' yet' (single was '67, album was '66)

Balloon Farm - 'A Question of Temperature' ( a personal fav)

Well, you know me. I'm never one to pile on. :lol:

Classic rock mag just did an issue on 1977.

There are some excellent releases in 1977, but they'd have to do three issues to cover 1967.

Edited by JohnnyB

The "Repo Man Soundtrack" (VA)

The Jam, "Greatest Hits"

The Lemonheads, "Car Button Cloth"

You Am I, "Hourly, Daily"

Led Zeppelin, "Houses of the Holy"

Pretty much anything will work to drown out the morning latin/dance exercise music they pump out that carries to my part of this beach though!

• Like 2

In an attempt to not be the "BAD GUY", I've been waiting for someone to weigh in on the "best year in music" quote, but now I'm wondering if perhaps it was overlooked.

obviously this will be different for folks of different ages and musical tastes;

at one time i owned all of these on vinyl from 1980 -

Ace of Spades

All Shook Up

Animal Magnetism

Back in Black

Blizzard of Ozz

British Steel

Chinatown

Heaven and Hell

Iron Maiden

Permanent Waves

Remain in Light

Shooting Star

There and Back

Women and Children First

Zenyattà Mondatta

The "Repo Man Soundtrack" (VA)

Looking for the Joke With a Microscope. That album is one of my all time favorites. The title song is Pop's best effort hands down.

Fear's Let's Have a War gets me pumped every time I hear it. I had no idea Ving was the club owner in Flashdance for years and played thugs in a shit ton of 80's movies.

Institutionalized? The Plugz? Black Flag at their silliest?

Perfection.

Pretty much anything will work to drown out the morning latin/dance exercise music they pump out that carries to my part of this beach though!

Dood, you don't want to get a Brazilian Butt Lift before noon? What tha F***?!?!?!?!? Your rump would be the talk of the office. You could start wearing ass-less chaps for gigs... crack eggs on yer glutes for breakfast Omelettes a la Derriere... wear hot pants to Starbucks and the bank... make the lime green Borat sling bathing suit popular again... the possibilities are endless.

obviously this will be different for folks of different ages and musical tastes;

at one time i owned all of these on vinyl from 1980 -

Ace of Spades

All Shook Up

Animal Magnetism

Back in Black

Blizzard of Ozz

British Steel

Chinatown

Heaven and Hell

Iron Maiden

Permanent Waves

Remain in Light

Shooting Star

There and Back

Women and Children First

Zenyattà Mondatta

1980 was a bitchin' year for music... that list is dope as hell.

1970-1987 contains some amazing shit with intense peaks of quality and genius from 1977-1984.

I say 1987 because "Among The Living", "Master Of Puppets", "Reign in Blood" and "Peace Sells" were seminal albums for metal. 1984-1987 was a pretty shiite time for pop music though.

^^^^^

Art Tatum is in a class by himself. One of the best virtuoso pianists in any genre.

I'm currently spinning:

418DEF4TC1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This one is worth seeking out. It's the Patsy Cline songs that were picked for the 1985 film, "Sweet Dreams." To make the soundtrack, they isolated Patsy's voice from the various recordings, rounded up all the original session musicians, and re-recorded their parts in the original recording studio where the sessions happened. The result is Patsy's real voice in a state-of-the-art recording with no discontinuity in musical sensibilities, timbres, style, or even recording acoustics. Playing this record feels like you're spinning 45s in 1962 from your booth in a diner.

Edited by JohnnyB

This one is worth seeking out. It's the Patsy Cline songs that were picked for the 1985 film, "Sweet Dreams." To make the soundtrack, they isolated Patsy's voice from the various recordings, rounded up all the original session musicians, and re-recorded their parts in the original recording studio where the sessions happened. The result is Patsy's real voice in a state-of-the-art recording with no discontinuity in musical sensibilities, timbres, style, or even recording acoustics. Playing this record feels like you're spinning 45s in 1962 from your booth in a diner.

WOW! I had no idea, that is cool as hell and makes sense with why that movie had a sonic quality that was so enchanting.

I'm currently spinning:

Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to see this movie again .. and listen to it. ;)

On the "Best Year" topic, I think we all have our own definition of that. Mine is '79, although '76, '77, '78, and '80 were good for me too. I've had this discussion with MANY people over the years and it seems like a lot of us think the best year(s) in music was right around the time we were 13-17 years old. That's certainly true in my case.

• Like 1

The Meters are amazing PirateFlynn! And that cover is like WOAH!!!!

I am busy image editing on a musky Summer night and tapping my toes excitedly to the...

Yacht Rock Trifecta!!!

Robbie Dupree's Steal Away

followed by The Doobies' "What A Fool Believes", followed by The Pointer Sisters' "He's So Shy"

Rawk out wit' yer Pina Colada out!

Edited by zenmindbeginner
  • Like 1