Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

On the "Best Year" topic, I think we all have our own definition of that. Mine is '79, although '76, '77, '78, and '80 were good for me too. I've had this discussion with MANY people over the years and it seems like a lot of us think the best year(s) in music was right around the time we were 13-17 years old. That's certainly true in my case.

It's no coincidence. The book, "This Is Your Brain on Music" describes how your brain's development builds the core of its musical schema from about age 9 to 21. I was 10 when the Beatles hit. I was 9 to 21 from 1962 to 1974. Man, that's Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown, Aretha Franklin, Hendrix, Clapton, Santana, Creedence, Blood Sweat and Tears, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Stones, Kinks, Deep Purple, Vanilla Fudge, The Band, Yes, The Who, Moody Blues, Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Dead, everybody at Woodstock (I was 15), and on and on. Plus my big sisters threw me jazz albums, turning me onto Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Quincy Jones, and Dave Brubeck. I found Gary Burton and Pat Metheny on my own. So that stuff is totally ingrained in me, plus it was the golden age in the variety, creativity, and complexity of rock and pop.

I'm currently spinning:

418DEF4TC1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This one is worth seeking out. It's the Patsy Cline songs that were picked for the 1985 film, "Sweet Dreams." To make the soundtrack, they isolated Patsy's voice from the various recordings, rounded up all the original session musicians, and re-recorded their parts in the original recording studio where the sessions happened. The result is Patsy's real voice in a state-of-the-art recording with no discontinuity in musical sensibilities, timbres, style, or even recording acoustics. Playing this record feels like you're spinning 45s in 1962 from your booth in a diner.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to see this movie again .. and listen to it. ;)

And don't forget the vinyl. It's an excellent sounding record. Cline was such the complete song interpreter it's hard for me to get my head wrapped around every aspect of her excellence. Or you can do the sensible thing and bypass deconstruction and enjoy the overwhelming comprehensive experience of hearing her sing.

After my post about Hal Ashby using Deodata's Also Sprach Zarathustra in Being There, I just had to:

517ShJKrkvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg The vinyl's spinning as I post.

Last night it was

51Jf6b9LgtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Verve Records, recorded in 1957. This was Satch with the original Oscar Peterson Trio (Ray Brown and Herb Ellis). They brought in Louie Bellson to play drums. Around the same time, Verve used the same formula, adding Ella Fitzgerald to the mix, making two volumes of Ella and Louis. On one record the drummer was Bellson again, on the other they had to "settle" for Buddy Rich.

Edited by JohnnyB

Came in a brown paper bag when i bought it the *first* time... :)

led-zeppelin-in-through-the-out-door.jpg

What is it?

^^^^

Cool. I can get it in NOS vinyl from Amazon for about $330. That's the last album with Bonzo, not counting post mortem collections, right?

We were talking about old mainstream music, so I just went through a pile of old CD's I have in my basement and came out with this:

3351.mp3.jpg

Will start playing it right away. :)

^^^^

Cool. I can get it in NOS vinyl from Amazon for about $330. That's the last album with Bonzo, not counting post mortem collections, right?

You are correct, sir. I can't recall if anything on Coda was recorded after ITTOD - i think it was all stuff recorded that did not make the earlier releases. Everything after that were box sets, etc.

Getting into this -the new album from Testament:

61UH-O-W5ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's Testament, you know... Not groundbreaking at all, but still well-crafted old-school thrash with technical solos and a great modern production (by Andy Sneap). Quite enjoyable -and you can bang your head to it as well. :)

Dave Alvin's Eleven Eleven

Totally cool!

^^^^

Don't do it! I'll sell you my well-cared for copy for $320. :ph34r:

Seasick Steve's You Can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks

It was almost over before I realized that was John Paul Jones on bass (I think).

Last night:

51wZw%2B47DlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51iPtiw58yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For a feel of pastoral England 90 years ago it doesn't get much better than Sir Adrian Boult conducting Ralph Vaughn WIlliams. The second album is John WIlliams (the classical guitarist, not the guy who wrote the Star Wars theme) playing transcriptions of Scarlatti harpsichord sonatas on classical guitar and some preludes by Brazilian composer Villa-Lobos. Great playing and sound quality on both of them. I picked them up in a used record bin for $2-3 each, and the Williams was still sealed.