Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

^^^^

Wow! A 6-eye Columbia LP. Yes, I've been a Brubeck fan since my sister gave me her 6-eye stereo copy of "Time Further Out" in 1965 or so. It was the second jazz record I ever owned and Joe Morello immediately became my #1 drum hero for years afterward, and always on my short list. The sonics of those early Columbias are really good, like Kind of Blue.

• 2 weeks later...

This is eclectic. Yesterday:

51h9z%2B3I0TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg Right now: 61wwHqSw0ZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The Tony Bennett one is particularly interesting. He started at Columbia when Mitch Miller was the pop music A&R man. It's because Mitch was so old fashioned and stubborn that Columbia didn't sign a rock act until Paul Revere and the Raiders in 1966. Not only did he hate rock, he hated jazz as well, and wouldn't let Bennett do a jazz-themed album even though it was Bennett's favorite type of music. So over the years Bennett managed to slip a jazz-tinged song or two into an album here and there. Finally when Miller was gone, Bennett and Columbia compiled a double album of the jazz cuts Bennett had made from 1954 to 1967. The musicians vary from song to song and comprise a jazz who's who, including the Count Basie Orchestra (including Basie, drummer Sonny Payne, and guitarist Freddie Green), Herbie Mann, bassist Milt Hinton, Nat Adderly, Ron Carter, Stan Getz, Zoot Sims, Al Cohn, Herbie Hancock, Elvin Jones, Doc Serverinson, Mundell Lowe, Ed Shaughnessy, Art Blakey, and other great masters of their instruments. I have it on cassette and LP, and I ripped a CD of it to my iPod. So whatever your format, you can find one on cassette, vinyl, CD, or mp3.

And according to Wikipedia,

As of November 2009, 29 million copies have been shipped in the domestic market, making it tied with Michael Jackson's Thriller as the best-selling album in the United States.[1] With an additional 13 million internationally, for a total of 42 million, it is one of the top-selling albums in music history....

The Eagles album takes me back to when I was in a SoCal cover band in 1976. Eagles/Jackson Brown/Linda Ronstadt were our stock in trade and I think we performed just about every song on this album.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beatles night:

82fb53a09da08ec9b1157110.L._AA300_.jpg41URZgGxETL._SL500_AA300_.jpg61y8fQoXz3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rubber Soul is the EMI version that opens with "Drive My Car." It's much of a statement album than the US version. Hard Day's Night is a lot of nostalgic fun with its mix of Beatles performances and instrumental orchestral renditions of Beatles songs for the incidental music.

Labor Day is gonna be Motown Day for a while. (Hope NBC's Andrea Mitchell or Chris Matthews don't read that as a secret "dog whistle" joke)

Great groups from a long time ago, here's a taste;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsLWKBNaX7k&featue=related

edited to fix link

Edited by rj2858

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Just seemed like a good time to revive this thread when I threw this on.

Forgot how much I loved this stuff, and how much I really loved listening to Glen Buxton.

Whole album is so good, but this song has got to be Glen's magnum opus, and perhaps the greatest opening riff in rock music, though "No More Mr. Nice Guy" would also be in the top 10 for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9rkumtdho

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a 2 day jag with these albums, and I'm not tired of it yet. Too long since I've had them on.

First up, local band that never got as big as they should have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aHCp8TK_Tw This is the title track, but most of the cuts are on youtube. There is also some footage from a killer live show they did in '78, at the Agora theatre in Cleveland, which I've included a link to.

Does anyone know if David Angels bass in the live clip was a Hamer? I don't think it was, but I wasn't a 'Hamer guy' until about a year later in '79, so I wouldn't have known at the time. He also played a bass with LED's on the fretboard a couple of years later, after 'The Boyzz' broke up, and morphed into 'The B'zz'. These guys were big in the Chicago area for a couple of years, so I'm thinking it's possible.

Next up is my fav track from a great album, by an under appreciated band. Perhaps not so oddly, this popped into my head after listening to The Boyzz album, because they covered it in their live shows prior to getting signed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w4RrO0ZlNA

Edited by rj2858