Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

Just discovered Tommy Castro & The Painkillers - The Devil You Know

additionally Paul Rodgers - The Royal Sessions

pure blues fellows!

tommys great ! long time fan here, seen him a lot. hes laughing here cuz I just told him If i could sing like him I'd give him a run for his money ( may have been some beer involved ) If you havent ,check out "Live at the fillmore"

or any early stuff with keith crosen on sax .

Will check out the fillmore stuff. Cover pics still sell music. I had discovered him in the quarterly German blues magazine Blues News I get. The CD review was nice. Eventually, it was the cover thumb pic that made me check out buying through the new kindle.

Check out Oli Brown Dragan. He's a young dude from UK doing quite well.

Listening to the new Arch Enemy album:

47505.jpg

Their new singer fits well to the band. Her growls sound quite "on key" and I like that. The songs are very good too, and there are even some cool orchestrations -the 9th track, "Time is Black", is particularly interesting, as well as the 5th one, titled "No More Regrets". However, I do hear some Megadeth-isms all along the album that are too pronounced to be considered "just an influence". But the guitar-work is top-notch, and just that can compensate for every minor detail I might not like. Definitively a good album I'm enjoying to the max!

PS: Edited to add the image.

Edited by zorrow

I rediscovered Simple Minds's Black & White this morning.

HardHeartedBill posted this picture on Facebook, soliciting captions:

10404897_10152241282823167_8416985411081

It inspired me to pull out my LP of this album and give it a couple of spins:

balalaika_favorites.jpg

It was recorded by an American recording team in 1962 in the USSR at the height of the Cold War, which is what the "First Time Ever" banner is referring to. This orchestra is comprised of Russian folk instruments and has been around since 1919. You wouldn't believe the virtuosity of the players, nor the range that can be coaxed from these 3-string balalaikas.

The LP I have was remastered 40 years later from the original 3-track tapes, supervised by Wilma Cozart Fine, who oversaw the original mixdowns and mastering in 1962-3. You wouldn't believe how good a 51-yr-old recording can sound, and the music and performances transcend genre.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

Black Sabbath's "Cross Purposes Live" DVD. The 2012 edition contains the whole concert, as it was originally released on VHS -16 Sabbath classics sung by Tony Martin, who does an awesome job on vocals. I converted the DVD audio tracks to mp3 and now I can listen to this music anywhere I like. :)

• Like 2

Black Sabbath's "Cross Purposes Live" DVD. The 2012 edition contains the whole concert, as it was originally released on VHS -16 Sabbath classics sung by Tony Martin, who does an awesome job on vocals. I converted the DVD audio tracks to mp3 and now I can listen to this music anywhere I like. :)

Great achievement Zorrow! ;)

I have done the same same with Prince's Purple Rain movie the other year. The songs in the vid have much more drive than the original LP/CD.

Conquering Dystopia- Tethys

Have to be in the right mood to listen to this style of music anymore but I was impressed with Jeff Loomis' playing. Also appreciated the shift from balls-out technical shred to some subtler, moody stuff.

• Like 1

Conquering Dystopia- Tethys

Have to be in the right mood to listen to this style of music anymore but I was impressed with Jeff Loomis' playing. Also appreciated the shift from balls-out technical shred to some subtler, moody stuff.

One guy I used to play with introduced me to Keith Merrow like one year ago --this Keith Merrow guy is the other guitarist who plays with Loomis in that Conquering Dystopia duo thing. Back then I liked his rhythm playing quite a bit. Now Loomis and him are opening for Animals As Leaders. I just hope they will release a physical edition of their album someday, because that's the kind of thing I like to collect.

I'm right now listening to the "Diablo Swing Orchestra", kind of metal meets soul meets merengue meets classical meets whatever else you can imagine. It's weird, different and definitively innovative, but still VERY listenable. Highly recommended if you're tired of all those genre-stuck prepackaged musical products overflowing the market. I'm abso-fuck*ng-lutely impressed!

• Like 1

Fans of No Doubt may like this Canadian Band....like a heavy modernized version.

I like the band but told them their name sucks and they should change it to "GoGoGo," after the single.

Go Go Go (Official Video) Chapter 2 SUMO CYCO - YouTube

â–º 5:42â–º 5:42

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x9kwlM48Pc

Feb 13, 2014 - Uploaded by Sumo Cyco

Edited by mc2

• 4 weeks later...

Roger Taylor's (Queen) new solo album in a long time just arrived. Very much his own stuff. I love his own music since his first album sometime around 1980.

Ernesto Lecuona, the Ultimate Collection :)

Ernest is not on this one, but Ecue: Ritmos Cubanos is a collaboration of Louie Bellson & big band legends with several Cuban masters. I picked it up a couple of months ago.

41TQQ8NQ2ZL._SX300_.jpg

I am listening to the voices in my head ooooooh!

That's why I listen to music--to drive'em out!