Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

I've had this song on repeat for over an hour, and have listened to it dozens of times over the past day-and-a-half. The lyrics strike me deeply. I can't figure out whether it's an objectively good set of lyrics or whether it's just something happens to resonate in me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IilOjamvPT0

• Like 1

Some good old 1971 rock 'n' roll followed by 1967 work of genius that only recently saw the light of day. It would have fit right in with 1967's other ambitious and iconic albums including Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Days of Future Passed, The Doors (ST), Surrealistic Pillow, Axis: Bold as Love and some others.

71FHSgEU44L._SX355_.jpg81S6TmK2uqL._SY355_.jpg

• Like 1

I've slowly been pawn shopping for components around my phonograph... receiver... and today the speakers.

1st spin? The Pretenders first album. Damn that's a great bunch of tunes.

1st tune? Kid. What a great solo.

• Like 1

Spun this yesterday for the first time in a few years. I agree with Willie G. Man, what an album, in songs, performance, arrangement, production, mixing, mastering, and sound quality. Its dynamics kick you around the room. Got mine used in some record bin. Also a great clinic for guitar playing, sounds, and techniques.

city_to_city.jpg

• Like 2

Today I'm facing the mind-numbing task of sorting and filing piled-up utiilty bill stubs and various receipts. So I enlisted Tony and The Count to help me out:

51WOzcxTnqL._SS280.jpg

Tony turned 89 a couple of weeks ago and can still sing, but this was recorded when he was 32 (late 1958) at his absolute prime, and wow! What a set of MONSTER pipes in every way--dynamics, pitch control, the right amount of vibrato, vocals to match what the lyrics and music call for, and unbelievable range with spot-on pitch in every note he sings.

Now I'm finishing off the Dave Brubeck Quartet's "The Last Time We Saw Paris," which was from the Quartet's last tour in Europe before breakng up. Recording is so tight and clean it's hard to believe it's live, but it is. There are various alto sax stars who are legends, including Charlie Parker, Cannonball Adderly, etc. But for the most tone to die for and and sweet lyrical improvisations, Paul Desmond stands alone. Fantastic sonics; Columbia did some great-sounding stuff in this era and this is definitely one of them.

51XlpDMpHkL._SL500_SY355_.jpg

• Like 1

I've slowly been pawn shopping for components around my phonograph... receiver... and today the speakers.

1st spin? The Pretenders first album. Damn that's a great bunch of tunes.

1st tune? Kid. What a great solo.

What phonograph and speakers do you have, and what are you looking for in a receiver?

And today I spun:

516MWOPSe3L._SY355_.jpg

This album wastes no time getting underway. First song on side 1 is "Keep Your Hands to Yourself." This is a great rocker and the recording quality is something else, being an EMI and all. Loved it.

• Like 1

Yesterday, Frankie's 1st volume of greatest hits on Reprise. These are the ones that charted in the '60s such as My Way, That's Life, The Summer Wind, etc. I'm not a fan of the production of My Way (1st track) so I skip right to The Summer Wind. I love that song.

71x4HfOU-AL._SY355_.jpg

Followed it with Lyle Lovett and His Large Band. Great album all around; tight ensemble, killer songs, devlishly clever lyrics, and some of the best sound quality you'll hear on a pop album.

713zXv1YrdL._SY355_.jpg

Today the wife's at home, so while we were surfing and playing Sudoku, it was this one. Great songs and sonics on a pristine, great sounding LP I plucked from a $1.50 bin. I really like her slide work.

81iDg7%2BLUwL._SX425_.jpg

• Like 2

just watched this documentary this week, made me download some tunes i lisrtened to in college.

newbies should get "truth & soul", it is their finest hour;

Edited by Brooks

I had a bunch of housework to do and nothing gets me going like some good drummer-driven Big Band. This was recorded about 55 years ago and featured Anita O'Day on vocals and his killer trumpeter, Roy Eldridge.

$_12.JPG

Next I moved on to Count Basie. I picked up this record at a record fair/meet. It was recorded by Metro/Verve, but this edition was mastered and pressed by Deutsche Grammophon and it sounds like they're in the room. Great clarity and dynamics from one of the tightest big bands ever.

$(KGrHqFHJDEE9(0vl8G1BPm8V5pU8!~~60_12.J

I finished off the workday with Schubert's symphony no. 9 in this box set. I see these box sets go for anything from $18 to $90 on eBay. I picked up 16 of them at a Goodwill for $1 each. Four records per set. And in general I've found that box sets usually haven't been played. Schubert's No. 9 is named "The Great," aptly I might add. That recording is Charles Munch conducting the Boston Symphony, originally on RCA's Living Stereo series; the originals can be a lot more expensive. The Time/Life reissue collection ain't too shabby sounding either. Mozart gets most of the press for being a brilliant composer who died too young at 35. Schubert died at 31 and left a similarly large body or very high quality work. In his own time he was a short pudgy guy, les than 5' tall with the nickname of "Schwammerl", variously translated as "Tubby" or "Little Mushroom." Even so, he may have died of syphilis.

$_12.JPG

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 2