Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

this new boys and then ill sleep like an angel

post-116862-0-99274500-1442460695.jpg

:)

Frank looks like Jesus in Wayfarers and a sombrero. I'll bet Jesus wished he'd had Wayfarers and a sombrero in that brutal Judean wilderness, but they hadn't been invented yet. I s'pose his Dad could have adjusted the timeline, but Noooooooooooo ...

• Like 2

Since this thread come up again, it gives me the chance to note that I'm into

Queen + PR - The Cosmos Rocks

again. I really dig it. If you can make it to accept the situation. The record contains fantastic songs and even more fantastic guitar playing. Brian's tone shines through better than ever. Considered that it is one of the technically most high end recordings of the guys to get as opposed to digitally remastered 40 year old stuff. You can't get it any better.

I'd like to have JohnnyB testament spinning it through his high end equipment. It would be interesting to know what he thinks.

I put this on to do a little system tuning. Paul's bass lines pass back and forth over the crossover point between the subwoofers and the main panels. The meticulously remastered and reissued MONO version helps because each sub is getting the same signal and it makes it easier to tune them to the room.

Anyhoo, I started playing it as a tuning tool and got lost in the music. 48 years later this album really brings it, and the closer you get to the originally engineered version in the intended format, the better it sounds. This thing is still a treasure.

81Xrxwz%2BtGL._SX355_.jpg81NzwruvBiL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 2

Clutch - Psychic Warfare.

First day of release album I've bought in a very long time. For those familiar with Clutch, it's pretty straight forward rock, along the lines of Earth Rocker, with a bit of funkiness and the like in places. I tend to prefer the Blast Tyrant and Elephant Riders stuff more, but the album still rocks while Tim Sult's tone and playing are sublime.

Edited by TBP

Small Faces: “Here Come the Nice” Immediate Records Years Box. Really cool compilation, including some rare B-sides and alternate takes/mixes of more familiar tunes. Good stuff.

Humble Pie: “Complete Fillmore Concerts.” Really for the completest, but I’ve been on a Steve Marriott kick lately. Peter Frampton was a very ground-breaking rock player in his day. Instead of just riffing in the blues boxes, he played in/out of chords, doing modal shit like a jazzbo would play. Sweet tone, too. BTW, Marriott is no slouch, either. Solid player in Small Faces, but as he improved he was outshined by Frampton/Clemson. By design, I know, as he was the singer, but he could wail. Sorta like when Paul Rodgers plays guitar?

Beatles: “Mono Box CD set.” Borrowed from a friend, but RIPPED dat shit, beyotch! Oh, yes ah did! Not to get all “JohnnyB” on ya, but it is nice to hear the mixes as they were originally released. There is so much more power/presence through the speakers. Even the wimpy songs have more hair.

REO Spankwagon Catalogue: Ritchrath’s demise sort of forced me to revisit their music. A good portion is kinda hit/miss, but they cemented themselves as a solid, Midwestern journeyman rock band. Hunt and peck...

Edited by RobB
  • Like 1

Clutch - Psychic Warfare.

First day of release album I've bought in a very long time. For those familiar with Clutch, it's pretty straight forward rock, along the lines of Earth Rocker, with a bit of funkiness and the like in places. I tend to prefer the Blast Tyrant and Elephant Riders stuff more, but the album still rocks while Tim Sult's tone and playing are sublime.

Waiting for the vinyl to come in. The video is SO cool!

https://youtu.be/X8cmbmwFAl8

I was looking for a pick me up after a shitty day at work on Saturday so I cracked open my copy of Jet's Get Born in white vinyl. What a fucking monster record. Tracks 2-3-4 on side one where hits, along with a track on side two. Just an amazing record.

I bought this album on CD in 1997 when it first came out, on a lunch break. I started to play it on headphones when I returned to work, but the music was so nakedly candid that is was far too personal a musical expression (all instrumental, no less) to relegate to background music while working. I turned off the CD player and saved the disc until I could get home and play it on the Big Rig. It was worth the wait.

charlie_haden_and_pat_metheny_beyond_the

The album is gorgeous, and most of it is Metheny on an acoustic guitar and Haden on upright bass. Some songs have Pat doing some electric or even some tasteful synth overdubs, but it all adds to the music and the emotional expression of the album. It has been in my regular rotation for 18 years. When my wife joined me in 2000, she fell in love with it too and has been part of her regular rotation too.

Well, recently a special project put this album on two 180g vinyl records, and the results are even more stunning. For all the times I'd played the CD or a full-res rip, I was unprepared for how organic, how musical, how complete, how communicative this album is on vinyl. I'm in love with it all over again.

Yes, it's kind of expensive for a single title, but it's oh, so worth it. There is another Charlie Haden project that has been turned into a vinyl treasure. I haven't bought it yet but I hope to before the limited run disappears. It's "Steal Away," a duet of old spirituals and hymns with jazz piano great Hank Jones. But even if you just get the CDs, you will be moved.

charlie_haden_and_hank_jones_steal_away_

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I took delivery of a nice mono cartridge to get the most out of the all-analog Beatles mono reissues on vinyl.

21VTGBCHZNL.jpg

It was quite a revelation. As good as these LPs sound with a stereo cartridge, they sound better going in native mode. A mono cartridge doesn't pick up any vertical action, only side-to-side. Since a mono LP only has side-to-side modulations, using a mono cartridge drops the noise floor considerably compared to a stereo cart because it's not picking up "dirt on the floor".

After running through Sgt. Pepper's to great effect, I started looking through pre-1958 (advent of stereo) recordings. Right now I'm listening to an original mid-'50s recording of this.

R-4851875-1395031332-6808.jpeg.jpg

I could go on and on about the music, but what can I add to "Ella Fitzgerald+Gershwin+Nelson Riddle Orchestra"? The mono cart makes it that much better. Whatever dust might have settled into the bottom of the groove is simply not picked up! I'm playing an original near 60-year-old mono album like it's brand new.

I also listened to this classic, recorded in 1956 or so, arranged and conducted by a 23-year-old Quincy Jones.

51e9WLA9j7L._SS280.jpg

I have some mono Miles Davis vinyl, plus an early Righteous Brothers, Beach Boys' Pet Sounds and Smile! in mono. I'm gonna have some fun over the next several days.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1