Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

I'm with you. Had ELO spinnin' lately. Even some of them old stuff on to the buy list at A. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

One of my favorite albums is El Dorado; an absolutely beautiful album.

Eldorado for me is quite on the same level with Deep Purple's Concerto for Group and Orchestra and Vai's Sound Theories. I really digg the hybrid combination of classic and band when it is written for that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, Spotify suggested George Barnes.  Apparently, he's a legend, but I can't recall ever hearing his name.  Style is: "country jazz", "swing jazz".  There are probably other names.  The relationship to rockabilly is unmistakeable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, carfish7 said:

1999. Vinyl. Loud as fuck.

wish I were spinning "Sign o' the Times," but somehow the prices on that album have suddenly skyrocketed. :( 

I do have the CD version. I'll play it in the car.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 2

On 15. März 2016 at 11:22 PM, gtrdaddy said:

Right now I'm having fun with ELO; perhaps I live in the past...

IMG_4671.JPG

Spent some time with the same calld Blueray in the last weeks. I can highly recommend if you want to dig in the past a bit. All live concerts from the beginning up to Discovery and Out of the Blue the main concert. Awesome video and sound quality too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thunderbird by Louie Bellson. 1966 Impulse recording, 1972 pressing, excellent quality. It's an octet featuring some greats including Harry "Sweets" Edison on trumpet. Louie in his prime, what a drum monster, an impeccable time keeper, subtle comper who could bring things to a roar as well. It's when he looked like this and played thie Rogers kit. This kit is basically the same in drum and cymbal sizes and positions as the kits of Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich, but with a second bass drum, a feature Louie originated for an art project when he was 15. He was ambidextrous and a master at it.

R-828250-1176927939.jpeg.jpg louie3bellson.jpg

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Soul on Top, a collaboration between James Brown and jazz drummer extraordinaire Louie Bellson. Others on the project included legends arranger/conductor Oliver Nelson, Jimmy Cleveland on trombone, Pete Christlieb on tenor sax, and Ray Brown on bass. It was recorded at King Studios in Cincinnati where James recorded most of his monster hits. It was released in 1970 when Brown was at his absolute peak in vocal maturity, range (damn, what a range!), and expressiveness.

I posit that--given that JB initiated this project and approached Louie Bellson for it--it demonstrates his broader musical knowledge and taste as well as his range of material that he absolutely masters. It has everything from "Your Cheatin' Heart" to "It's a Man's World" like you've never heard.

Available on LP, CD, and iTunes. Really clean recording that puts James in the room.

91wzCZ0ZgML._SY355_.jpg

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 2

In an '80's kind of mood today, based on hearing a couple of songs recently that I hadn't heard in a couple hours short of forever.

Scratched the itch somewhat by "youtubing" a bunch of Tawny Kitaens' greatest hits, uh, well, I mean Whitesnakes' hits, but then came across

one of the few songs of it's genre that I liked back then, and the video is just a masterpiece!.

The scene at 2:00 is magic. The equal of anything by Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Bergman or Zeffirelli.

The perfect melding of song & subject - a young Jennifer Connelly.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rj2858 said:

In an '80's kind of mood today, based on hearing a couple of songs recently that I hadn't heard in a couple hours short of forever.

Scratched the itch somewhat by "youtubing" a bunch of Tawny Kitaens' greatest hits, uh, well, I mean Whitesnakes' hits, but then came across

one of the few songs of its genre that I liked back then, and the video is just a masterpiece!

The scene at 2:00 is magic. The equal of anything by Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Bergman or Zeffirelli.

The perfect melding of song & subject - a young Jennifer Connelly.

And that's Frank Whaley who also played Robbie Krieger in Oliver Stone's film, "The Doors," released the same year.

• Like 1