Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

Spun two albums yesterday afternoon. First, continuing my Rolling Stones binge with Tatto You in great condition, an LP rescued from Value Village for $1. You don't usually find popular albums from iconic bands in thrift shops in playable condition, but somehow this one was there waiting for me. Great sound quality too.  The album starts off with "Start Me Up." I really like this album.

I followed that with Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits vol. 1. This one brought back a lot of memories including a cover band I was in in SoCal in 1976. We did a lot of California rock--Eagles, Jackson Brown, Linda Ronstadt, etc.

... also left me with a bit of melancholy as she has Parkinsons and can't perform anymore. What a talent and set of pipes she had!

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 3

Brother will kill brother spilling blood across the land
Killing for religion something I don't understand
And fools like me, who cross the sea and come to foreign lands
Ask the sheep, for their beliefs do you kill on God's command?
☆A country that's divided surely will not stand

My past erased, no more disgrace foolish naive stand
The end is near, it's crystal clear part of the master plan
Don't look now to Israel it might be your homelands
Holy wars
Edited by Dave Scepter
Julianne Hough
  • Like 2

Played this while I made a round eye roast, roasted potato wedges, cleaned up the kitchen, and made two litres of fresh vegetable juice:

513E5jQH2bL.jpg

But don't think for a minute that I consider this background music. To the contrary, the persistent beats, supported and augmented by one of the best rhythm sections in the history of rock, lifted my spirits, locked me into the tempos, and propelled me to perform a series of tasks while staying focused and aware of the various elements involved. 

My binge-listening to Stones albums has given me a newfound appreciation for their genius and art. This particular best hits album drives home the consistent drive--and yet the variety--of their most engaging songs. Listening to this album lifted my spirits, gave me a newfound appreciation for the Stones' unique abilities, and left me with a beef roast, side dish, fresh vegetable juice, and a clean kitchen. I say this, not to diminish the power of the Stones, but rather to illustrate it. I don't usually get that much done that well in a week, let alone two hours of an afternoon.

Having been a drummer since I was 9, I appreciate good rhythms, and I love the driving rhythms--and sometimes polyrhythms--of some of the Stones songs, such as "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Sympathy for the Devil." I had a blast and intend to do it again soon.

I've listened to High Tide and Green Grass, Let It Bleed, Tattoo You, and "Hot Rocks" in short order. The last one I have is "Voodoo Lounge", which I'll be blasting through soon, and I'm looking forward to the experience. The earliest songs are only 53 years old. About time I caught up. :)

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 4

Too many problems, the world can't solve
Too many people, no-one wants to be involved
(Lack of communication, back off)
Keep rearranging, it's all the same
Always saying, someone else is to blame
Look all around me, who's standin' tall
Hold tight, no-one's gonna answer your call
Put up our boundaries, we build our walls
It's alright, no-one's gonna change us at all
Time's passin' us by, we have our reason
No-one wants to try, we have our reason
Questions askin' why, we have our reason
Problems still arise, we have our reason, for
Back off!
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Chillin' with Mick n' Keef!

Decca label (instead of London). So that's a British pressing, right?

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 10:38 PM, mudshark said:

Just bought this one:

He's the guy who wrote and performed "That's All Right, Mama," which is the song Elvis ripped into during his first session with Sam Philips at Sun Studios. It caught Phillips' attention big time and essentially launched Elvis's career.

18 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

He's the guy who wrote and performed "That's All Right, Mama," which is the song Elvis ripped into during his first session with Sam Philips at Sun Studios.

The tour at Sun tells a longer story, where Elvis had done several sessions at Sun over six months, and while Marion Keisker (who worked the front desk at Sun) repeatedly told Sam that Elvis had something, he wasn't buying it until he eventually heard Elvis do this song.

Yesterday I made 8 cheeseburgers and a batch or convection-roasted potato wedges. Putting on good music keeps me focused, livens my heart, and puts a spring in my step and great music in my head for the next several days. My playlist as a short-order cook Tuesday:

#1: Elgar's Enigma Variations by Pierre Monteaux directing the London Symphony Orchestra in a 1960 recording.

Elgar is the guy who wrote "Pomp and Circumstance," the march that accompanies most graduation ceremonies. He wasn't kidding about the "enigma" part. He was a world class cryptographer as this essay reveals, and cryptograms are embedded throughout this orchestral work.

... followed by Dvorak's New World Symphony with Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic, also in the early '60s.

This was Bernstein in his prime. There are several themes in this symphony which you've probably heard at some time.

Finished up with Von Karajan's collection of Bizet suites performed by the Berlin Philharmonic. This is an exciting collection of orchestral music by one of the great conductors of the 20th century.

All three of these recordings show the incredible dynamic range of an all-acoustic 100+ piece orchestra directed by a master. Exhilarating!

Edited by JohnnyB
Inserted musical samples from YouTube.

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

The tour at Sun tells a longer story, where Elvis had done several sessions at Sun over six months, and while Marion Keisker (who worked the front desk at Sun) repeatedly told Sam that Elvis had something, he wasn't buying it until he eventually heard Elvis do this song.

Right. I was (for once) trying to keep it brief, but as you say, after several sessions of Elvis trying to do what Sam wanted him to do, Elvis spontaneously broke into Crudup's song and that's all Sam needed to hear to realize he had a winner.

6 hours ago, TobiTill said:

When I got my first CD in 1987, one of my first CDs was "Trio," featuring Dolly, Emmylou, and Linda. I now have the LP version as well. The three of them had a hard time meeting up for the recording, and seldom were able to get together after that. I did manage to see Emmylou and Linda at Seattle's Bumbershoot Music Festival on Labor Day weekend 1999. Glad to hear Linda that one time.